What's new

PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Fully Restored Director's Edition (4k UHD) (Paramount+ Streaming) (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
He was terrible in ST: TMP, but I always thought Shatner was also. A bit of bad direction by Wise, or messed-up editorial choices, He was pretty good in a small role in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN.

I'm sure Benoit was referring to Collins having been exposed as a child molester.

Britton

Screenwriter
I have the latest Apple TV 4K and this movie ain't showing up in Dolby Vision. Latest version of the app and the latest tvOS are installed. Oh well...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for posting this, at first I didn’t watch it as I thought it was a trailer and not a featurette. This was great to hear the team talk about the effort to make the Remastered Directors Edition.

I re-watched a large portion of the film last night after watching it initially on Tuesday. I’m really liking it! I’m pretty sure I’ll be giving the bean counters another click as I’m pretty sure I’ll have another look tonight. Can’t wait for the 4K UHD disc release.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
The end credits were good too, but not animated and are more like the theatrical version.
I don't supposed this time they honored Roddenberry's promise from 1980 that any reissue would include a lot of the 'accidentally left out' credits, like Brick Price Movie Miniatures which worked on the film for the better part of two years without any onscreen mention at all, despite repeat assurances to contrary?

Somebody mentioned upthread their surprise that the vger bridge forming was still very jerky, like the 2001 disk version. That is, according to the horse's mouths responsible back in 2001, because they were trying to emulate the 'animating on twos' look of 70s animation. That is also about as wrongheaded a creative call as can be imagined, given that the theatrical TMP never animated anything on twos (the only stuttering was when they did step-printing on Spock's spacewalk POV of various planets, which looked godawful and was probably done to match synch with the music and something I hope they smoothed over on this version) and all these dedicated TMP fans doing the work should have know that cold. In fact, in the intervening years, RETURN TO TOMORROW, a book of TMP-era interviews about the film, finally came out and this exact subject comes up in it, where one of the animators loved that they didn't ever cut corners on the film by having to animate on twos. Again, you'd figure that the folks doing this disc would have used this bible-sized reference as a reference and revisited the stuttering bridge.

Hmm, after years of expecting something very satisfying, beginning to think now that I'm going to have to settle for sticking with the somewhat problematic 09-era blu-ray. At least it doesn't have the smeary VFX of last year's theatrical or the distracting suckfest of droning soundfx during the DE wormhole.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I don't supposed this time they honored Roddenberry's promise from 1980 that any reissue would include a lot of the 'accidentally left out' credits, like Brick Price Movie Miniatures
"Brick Price Movie Miniatures" is now credited.

Somebody mentioned upthread their surprise that the vger bridge forming was still very jerky, like the 2001 disk version. That is, according to the horse's mouths responsible back in 2001, because they were trying to emulate the 'animating on twos' look of 70s animation. That is also about as wrongheaded a creative call as can be imagined, given that the theatrical TMP never animated anything on twos
It doesn't appear jerky anymore.

the only stuttering was when they did step-printing on Spock's spacewalk POV of various planets, which looked godawful and was probably done to match synch with the music and something I hope they smoothed over on this version
It's been fixed.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the latest Apple TV 4K and this movie ain't showing up in Dolby Vision. Latest version of the app and the latest tvOS are installed. Oh well...
I just got done watching it using a AppleTV unit without any issues on Paramount+. The movie looked fantastic in 4K/Dolby Vision and was very impressed with the Dolby Atmos audio.

Britton

Screenwriter
There is a fathom event for the film taking place in May. I ordered tickets this past weekend.

Wrath of khan is also showing in September. I ordered tickets for this showing as well.

Oh man, I really wish TWOK was the theatrical cut. Haven’t seen that on the big screen yet. Fathom showed the Director’s Cut for the 35th anniversary.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Oh man, I really wish TWOK was the theatrical cut. Haven’t seen that on the big screen yet. Fathom showed the Director’s Cut for the 35th anniversary.

I saw the previous wrath of khan event by fathom too!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I love the idea of the Fathom events, but where I live they are always held in the very smallest auditoriums and I often feel like I might as well watch it at home on the projector. The audio is rarely loud enough, also, which for something like Casablanca isn't too bad, but with a big adventure movie the sound needs some heft. With Raiders there was no surround sound, so I found the manager who shrugged and said, "We play what we get." Anyway, I am contemplating giving it another try for ST-TMP.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I love the idea of the Fathom events, but where I live they are always held in the very smallest auditoriums and I often feel like I might as well watch it at home on the projector. The audio is rarely loud enough, also, which for something like Casablanca isn't too bad, but with a big adventure movie the sound needs some heft. With Raiders there was no surround sound, so I found the manager who shrugged and said, "We play what we get." Anyway, I am contemplating giving it another try for ST-TMP.

That’s too bad. I’ve attended several of these fathom tcm screenings and it’s always been a good experience. I usually go to an amc theater for the viewings.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A video from Marc Scott Zicree showed up in my YouTube suggestions. He was at the Paramount theater for the Star Trek The Motion Picture DE screening. He posted a video about the experience. It was cool to see it was quite a turnout. I was hoping to see comments from the others but I guess this is just Marc’s video. I didn’t know he has a channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks