What's new

PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Fully Restored Director's Edition (4k UHD) (Paramount+ Streaming) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What precisely does the word “restored” mean in this situation?

Re-imagined?

Grain removed?

Re-colored?

Love to know how Bob Wise would view this.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would assume favorably, as all of the work is based upon choices he made when they prepared a standard definition version of this edit back in 2001.

We have contemporary interviews with Wise and his peers circa 1979 (and again from 2001) where they discuss being rushed for time in 1979 and all of the things they wanted to do but couldn’t.

Think of this like the “Coda” version of Godfather 3.

It doesn’t need to match what was in theaters in 1979 because we already have the 1979 version in a variety of formats, including last year’s 4K remastering.

I don’t think “restored” would be my perfect choice of nomenclature but they don’t mean it’s the 1979 version being restored, they mean it’s the 2001 “director’s edition” being restored for 4K. I would go with “remastered” but no one asked me, and frankly, I don’t care what they call it as long as Paramount+ gets a return on its investment so they can see updating old Trek masters originally done in SD resolution is a worthwhile endeavor.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would assume favorably, as all of the work is based upon choices he made when they prepared a standard definition version of this edit back in 2001.

We have contemporary interviews with Wise and his peers circa 1979 (and again from 2001) where they discuss being rushed for time in 1979 and all of the things they wanted to do but couldn’t.

It doesn’t need to match what was in theaters in 1979 because we already have the 1979 version in a variety of formats, including last year’s 4K remastering.

I don’t think “restored” would be my perfect choice of nomenclature but they don’t mean it’s the 1979 version being restored, they mean it’s the 2001 “director’s edition” being restored for 4K. I would go with “remastered” but no one asked me, and frankly, I don’t care what they call it as long as Paramount+ gets a return on its investment so they can see updating old Trek masters originally done in SD resolution is a worthwhile endeavor.
Simple. Don’t use the word.

Unless you mean what you say.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The film is finally completed. Yes, restored might not have been a good choice of wording.

Mr. Wise never got to do his final cut for this film in 1979, it’s the only film he made where it was so rushed to meet a release date, that he didn’t get to do a preview screening to do final editorial changes. It went to the theaters unfinished essentially.

This left a bad taste in his mouth and never wanted to talk about Star Trek again. in 2001 he was given the chance to revisit the film and make all the changes he wanted to do. But given the film was already 20 years old at the time, there were so edits he couldn’t do as the fans love some scenes as they are. He focused on make edits to better refine the story and characters. Story first. They also made some new computer generated effects of some sequences that were either compromised because of time or were missing due to time constraints. So they were incorporated too. The new edit was seen as a great improvement. But the studio then said, that’s great, we’ll earn more moeny selling this as a DVD then theatrical screenings. So the new effects were only done at standard definition. The team’s goal was theatrical screenings.

in the last 20 years, the fans hoped that the film would get its due by having a high definition remaster, so the new effects would be done at HD level. As Paramount+ became more sizable, they agreed to fund a new remastering for UHD. the original team was brought back to do this work. The new effects were brought up to UHD standards. and they were tweaked a little to improve the, but they are essentially the same.

Bruce Botnick was involved as he worked with Jerry Goldsmith on the score to remix the soundtrack.

Additionally, the film was so rushed in 1979, Mr. Wise never got to do a final color timing and add sound effects. So these two things were addressed.

Mr. Wise made David Fein promise to focus on story first and that the film would be brought up in the standards of a theatrical quality product that can be projected. Not just for home video. This new edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture is Mr. Wise finished version.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I was fortunate enough to see this projected on a big screen at the Star Trek Mission Chicago convention last Friday, with David Fein providing a lengthy introduction and visiting with fans after the showing. Although it wasn't an actual movie theater, they did the everything they could to provide the best sound and vision. In spite of one technical glitch, it was a glorious experience. This looks amazing on a big screen. I already have a ticket for one of the Fathom events next month.

Britton

Screenwriter
I have the latest Apple TV 4K and this movie ain't showing up in Dolby Vision. Latest version of the app and the latest tvOS are installed. Oh well...
Not sure what's going on here with respect to Dolby Vision and 4K, but Paramount+ is only giving me HD on my 2021 Apple TV 4K. In Video and Audio I set the Format to 4K SDR 59.94Hz, and enabled Frame Rate and Range in the Match Content setting. Other apps like Disney+, Apple TV, and Netflix properly set the frame rate (23.976Hz for film content) and trigger Dolby Vision when applicable. Paramount+ stays SDR at 59.94Hz.

There is an option called "Enable Dolby Vision" but that just forces everything to be output in Dolby Vision, even SDR content, so I guess I could watch this in fake Dolby Vision.

ItsaFake.jpeg

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
When I was a kid in the early 80's, I recorded the movie onto a pair of audio cassette tapes from our TV and listened to them over and over. We never had a VCR. Random noises of my mom coughing and washing dishes provided additional foley. How far we've come since then.

Pity the trailer isn't in 4K on YouTube.
When I was a kid in the early 80's, I recorded the movie onto a pair of audio cassette tapes from our TV and listened to them over and over. We never had a VCR. Random noises of my mom coughing and washing dishes provided additional foley. How far we've come since then.

Pity the trailer isn't in 4K on YouTube.
I did that earlier in time with a 5 inch reel to reel. I taped Guys & Dolls, Oklahoma!, The King Family and others. I stopped using a mic because my brother would always talk and laugh. I placed a cable from Radio Shack with alligator clips on to the speaker terminals in back of the TV and the other side, a mini jack which went into the reel to reel. No outside noises.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Not sure what's going on here with respect to Dolby Vision and 4K, but Paramount+ is only giving me HD on my 2021 Apple TV 4K. In Video and Audio I set the Format to 4K SDR 59.94Hz, and enabled Frame Rate and Range in the Match Content setting. Other apps like Disney+, Apple TV, and Netflix properly set the frame rate (23.976Hz for film content) and trigger Dolby Vision when applicable. Paramount+ stays SDR at 59.94Hz.

There is an option called "Enable Dolby Vision" but that just forces everything to be output in Dolby Vision, even SDR content, so I guess I could watch this in fake Dolby Vision.

View attachment 134188
Do you have the Premium plan with Paramount+? That's the one that offers 4K/HDR.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

View attachment 134188
I have my Apple TV 4K on the same settings as you do, and the 4K HDR/DV content on P+ plays back in 4K DV. As others have mentioned, it could be that you have the ad-supported tier.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

View attachment 134188
Apparently HDR only works on Android TV in regards to Paramount+ sorry.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apparently HDR only works on Android TV in regards to Paramount+ sorry.
HDR works on Apple TV 4K, Amazon FireStick 4K (and 4K Max and Cube), and Google TV (formerly Android TV). It used to work on Roku, but that stopped working back in December and P+ has no clue how to fix it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
as some fans know that star trek the motion picture directors edition is coming to theatres: May 22,23, and 25.. 3 and 7pm on Sunday.. Monday and Wednesday 7pm only.

the cinema west in California will be playing the film in laser projection and Dolby Atmos.
It will be in DCP.
https://www.fandango.com/palladio-16...ate=2022-05-22

check local listings.

enjoy.
Jacob

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
as some fans know that star trek the motion picture directors edition is coming to theatres: May 22,23, and 25.. 3 and 7pm on Sunday.. Monday and Wednesday 7pm only.

the cinema west in California will be playing the film in laser projection and Dolby Atmos.
It will be in DCP.
https://www.fandango.com/palladio-16...ate=2022-05-22

check local listings.

enjoy.
Jacob

I bought tickets for the Sunday showing.

I also purchased fathom’s 40th anniversary wrath of khan screening tickets for September as well.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Or, better yet (IMO), THE COTTON CLUB ENCORE. Characters are better established, some sequences are allowed to play out longer to reinforce the mise en scene. Frankly, I didn't feel many consequential differences in the GODFATHER III CODA.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I ran across this today:
https://blog.frame.io/2022/04/04/ma...utm_campaign=20220405-no-int&utm_content=blog

It contains a lot of information and some interesting screen shot comparisons regarding the Remastering.

Lot's of good stuff.
One point worth mentioning: while the budget was $15 million as stated in the article, it didn't "spiral out of control" to the tune of $44 million. That number actually includes all the development costs from attempting earlier theatrical films with writers as varied as Ray Bradbury, Ted Sturgeon, Harlan Ellison, Robert Silverberg and John D.F. Black. Philip Kaufman was attached to an early version called Star Trek: Planet of Titans written by Chris Bryant and Allan Scott; after this version failed to get off the ground, Paramount shifted gears and decided to turn the project into a TV series called Star Trek Phase II that would anchor a proposed Paramount Television Network. The combination of a script deemed worthy of a feature film and the reality that a fourth television network was not economically viable for the cost of such a project sent it back to feature film development. There were budget overruns when Robert Abel and Associates was not capable of delivering as promised on special effects, but nowhere near the final quoted budget figure of $44 million. The final cost of the film itself was likely closer to $20 million. Welcome to Hollywood accounting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks