What's new

PHE Press Release: It’s A Wonderful LIfe (4K/UHD) Digital Only? (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
They suck so much because they’re offering this classic film in 4K/HDR, Probably for $9.99 if you don’t already own it(which I do and will upgraded to 4K free of charge) to anyone that wants it?? And that sucks????

Jeez people.
Not to get into THAT debate, but you don't OWN it, you license it (read the end user agreement for all the digital services) and they can take it back anytime they want. I don't do digital unless is comes with a disc.

This one makes no sense. This has been a consistent seller for them or else they wouldn't have released it multiple times on every physical format. To now go exclusively digital with the 4k restored release is a puzzler.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
But discs are a dying breed and I'm sure the market was saturated already with this particular movie (DVD's) and it's shown in "HD" on NBC every season for people to record. So I'd say it's wise to avoid wasting more money making discs for older movies like these and follow the money which is digital now.

I applaud them for seeing the future, not living in the past.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But discs are a dying breed and I'm sure the market was saturated already with this particular movie (DVD's) and it's shown in "HD" on NBC every season for people to record. So I'd say it's wise to avoid wasting more money making discs for older movies like these and follow the money which is digital now.

I applaud them for seeing the future, not living in the past.

If the market has already been saturated with discs for this film, why release it in 4K at all? Why would Joe Sixpack pony up ten bucks to stream it in 4K? He won't. Face it, the only people that will buy a 4K release of It's a Wonderful Life in ANY format are either super fans of the film or videophiles, most of whom would probably want a 4K UHD disc. A streaming only 4K release makes little sense for a movie like this.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Thing is many 1000's of homeowners now own at least one 4K smart TV that can stream whatever they want via built in Roku, Google Play Movies and many other smart apps. So now as they browse their movie options from their sofas and they see they can see this (or any other movie) in "4K" for $9.99 vs. going out to Walmart to buy an outdated DVD, odds are better that they will press the "BUY" button on their phone or TV.

It's not really so much that they strive to see it in 4K, heck they probably, as you said, don't really care and resolution, BUT they just see the phrase "4K" and they know they own a "4K" TV, so they just simply put 2 and 2 together and buy into the new digital offer.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not in my opinion. Chances are most folks either already own it on disc in some form or another, have it recorded on their DVR, or watch each year for free on TV. I doubt they're going to drop ten bucks on a 4K stream of an old B&W Christmas film.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
You never know. Could be a giant gamble on the studios part, or be a giant boom for their digital side. I'd say it's gonna fall somewhere in the middle.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The film should be brilliant as a DCP, where 4k can truly shine.

Reactions: PMF

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not in my opinion. Chances are most folks either already own it on disc in some form or another, have it recorded on their DVR, or watch each year for free on TV. I doubt they're going to drop ten bucks on a 4K stream of an old B&W Christmas film.
I don't disagree with that, but I think the same argument could be used against a disc release. And there's probably less risk involved in a digital only release - no replication, packaging, shipping etc.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't disagree with that, but I think the same argument could be used against a disc release. And there's probably less risk involved in a digital only release - no replication, packaging, shipping etc.

Less risk certainly, but I still think that It's a Wonderful Life in 4K will mainly appeal to videophiles who would rather have a disk release. IMO there's less of a market out there for a $10 streaming version of this film.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I don't know -- unless in $2-3 I have a hard time paying for a license.

It would have been interesting to see and it would have pushed the envelope back another decade. I think that Kwai is the current oldest film on UHD. Wonder how Wizard of Oz would look?

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I would buy this as a disk. As streaming, no. But it's a moot point as my only broadband is Verizon Wireless, which doesn't even stream SD well. HD? Well, if you admire that revolving circle as it buffers, it's great. 4K? I'll probably still be watching it when next Christmas rolls around!

Unless it's on disk, of course. If it isn't, another reason to not bother with a UHD TV.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don't know -- unless in $2-3 I have a hard time paying for a license.

It would have been interesting to see and it would have pushed the envelope back another decade. I the Kwai is the current oldest film on UHD. Wonder how Wizard of Oz would look
I think Kwai is the oldest film on 4K Blu-ray Disc, but I believe The Day the Earth Stood Still is the oldest film in 4K on digital distribution. IAWL will replace that record.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would buy this as a disk. As streaming, no. But it's a moot point as my only broadband is Verizon Wireless, which doesn't even stream SD well. HD? Well, if you admire that revolving circle as it buffers, it's great. 4K? I'll probably still be watching it when next Christmas rolls around!

As digital delivery is here to stay we need the option to download a movie and then watch it in the best possible quality.
You may have to wait though for a week or two until you can actually start watching :D

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It sucks because the majority of film collectors prefer physical media where a UHD film could sit on their shelf with other UHD films in their collection.
People like you are bad for home video and killing physical media quite frankly. Labels like Kino, Shout Factory, and others are keeping physical media alive. No thanks to you of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks