1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release PHE Press Release: It's A Wonderful LIfe (4K/UHD) Digital Only?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is in the appropriate forum once it was established without question that no disc release is coming.

2. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I have amended my post accordingly as I was not aware of the thread having been moved when I posted my reply.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  3. Osato

Osato Producer

I hope that paramount will reconsider and offer consumers a choice on these films.

Both formats are needed.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  4. Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper Stunt Coordinator

Spencer Draper
    The studio has pressed so many reissues of the film on the same discs to flaunt during the holiday season at inflated prices that you'd think one more reissue wouldn't be too demanding. Every time a new packaging appeared I'd fall for it maybe being a new transfer finally until seeing that it again wasn't.

As long as this finally hits disc it will be all right. It would be extremely frustrating to not be able to view the results of the restored version at its best on disc with the new extras but it is very common these days for restorations to be shown on DCPs for months if not years before ever hitting disc. 20,000 Leagues is still not available for example.

But hopefully this means that awful colorized variant will no longer be available.

5. Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes Stunt Coordinator

Mark Mayes
    I just don't trust streaming. I think the studios will be fine with revoking and having control over their titles' visibility or lack thereof, depending on what they want to promote.
    I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky that they still want to tinker with this film, but unlucky that possession of it will be solely at the whim and discretion of whichever bean counters and suits are in charge.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I keep hearing that same line from the streaming naysayers. Yet, I have not experienced one title that I bought that still wasn't available to me to stream and watch. I'm not going to allow fear of what they might do interfere in my pleasure of watching my favorite films via streaming.

7. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I have one question. Assuming that Paramount will continue to crank out the current Blu-ray, why wouldn't they just slipstream this master when they manufacture the next batch? If they want, slap a sticker on the outside saying "New Scan!" to bump sales. Other than loading a different data file into the disk-making machine, I don't see the extra expense. They're still making disks, still putting them in cases, still shrink-wrapping them and still shipping them out — and those costs won't change whether they print using the old data file or a new one. To help sell the old stock, bump the new ones by a buck or two.

Detour (1945), Tony Bensley and Osato like this.
  8. Message #68 of 105 Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    You still can't get true native 4K from a stream. On a 4K disc release, you can!

Detour (1945) and Osato like this.
  9. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    Discs are not going away any time soon. This myth has been predicted for the last 10 years and we're still seeing an abundance of disc releases, albeit from third-party distributors releasing studio-sanctioned content. If the studios themselves have lost interest in maintaining their own home video apparatuses (and they have) they have not lost sight of the fact there is still money to be made by licensing their content out to other distributors who want to cash on their glorious past also.

Disc content will remain a part of home video's foreseeable future as well as its past. Satisfying both interests would be the most prudent. Also, currently, you cannot stream native 4K. You can, however, get native 4K on a properly authored disc. But again, we are speaking of Paramount...the studio that still hasn't come around to releasing Audrey Hepburn's Oscar-winning performance in Roman Holiday on Blu; neither, Oscar-winners, Ordinary People, or The Greatest Show on Earth, or Grace Kelly's Oscar-winning performance in The Country Girl, or, A Place in the Sun (to name but a handful of iconic studio product still MIA anywhere except on DVD!!!).

So, you know. What can I say? Shortsightedness can take on many forms.

10. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    The only problem with this philosophy, and it has already been pointed out already, but deserves repeating, is that 'buying digital' does not mean you OWN digital. You never do, and the thought of a studio yanking a beloved treasure out of my hands when they choose not to renew the copyright until such time as it suits them again to make it available - and thus, force me to buy it again, and again, and again - if ever - makes me ill.

Jesse Skeen and Detour (1945) like this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Where you get that from?

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    That’s all the “disc only” crowd does in these streaming threads by repeating it over and over again.

Tino likes this.
  13. Message #73 of 105 Nov 11, 2018
    Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

And all the other crowd says is that disks will go away and streaming is the sole future of homevideo. Neither is correct. Both will survive, though streaming will take a serious hit when ISPs start charging premium prices to big data users who need high-speed throughput, which streamers will definitely be. My suspicion is that it will be charged basically as wireless is now (by the amount of data used, and if you have "unlimited service" and exceed a certain amount, the speed is throttled), with a surcharge for faster speed necessary for 4K or even Blu-ray resolution.

Assuming you aren't actually stuck with Verizon Wireless as your sole source of so-called "broadband," in which case forget streaming altogether.

14. Message #74 of 105 Nov 11, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don’t say that and I have one of the largest streaming and disc libraries on the forum. Furthermore, there are several of us on this forum that stream a lot, but still support disc collection and I think it will remain viable unless it becomes unprofitable for the studios.

15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I’ve never said that either and continue to support both with physical copies being my primary choice.

Osato and Tony Bensley like this.
  16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    If by "true native" you mean uncompressed then you are still wrong, because even a 4K Blu-ray disc has some compression. For example a DCP would be even less compressed than a 4K Blu-ray disc. Only a studio master would be truly uncompressed.

Brent Reid, Osato and Tino like this.
  17. Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes Stunt Coordinator

Mark Mayes
    Detour (1945) likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
  19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    ...which strikes me as being the digital equivalent of building a library of DVDs that are region 1/NTSC and then moving to a place where Region 2/PAL is the standard.

Digital has some drawbacks. Physical has some drawbacks. There is not one single method of collecting movies that will guarantee permanent, infallible access to a title in perpetuity for all time. I think maybe the bigger point that sometimes gets missed is that for many regular consumers, that wasn’t really their goal to begin with.

20. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I just streamed for the first time to see Orson Welles's The Other Side of the Wind (and the documentaries on the film) on Netflix and had a nice experience. It's great to have that option but will continue to buy discs for movies I like and want on my shelf.

Osato and DavidJ like this.