1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release PHE Press Release: It's A Wonderful LIfe (4K/UHD) Digital Only?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Message #81 of 105 Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

It would be equivalent if the Studio/Retailer you bought them from forced you to return them (Stole them, confiscated them) at the border and threw them in the dumpster. All possibly without telling you and you didn't find out about it until 4 months later. At least in the defense of Itunes -- the region/country restriction are in their Terms of Use so the person who is complaining about losing access isn't 100% in the right and Itunes isn't doing something unexpected. The fact the person who lost his Digital copies just didn't understand his legal rights or know this isn't exactly Itunes fault nor responsibility

At worst -- they at least remain your property, playable in UK/AUS with a $20 legal solution (or free with a PC with DVD player), recoverable when you move back to the US, and salable in all situations. Having access to a functioning DVD player for the next 50 years is far more predictable than predicting what will happen to your digital content even 5 years down the line. I still full access to my Laserdiscs from 1985 in unchanged form and no loss or edited without my permission content -- I may or may not want to watch anything from then, but it's my choice and not someone else's

I'm not sure if there is a solution at any price for the Itunes issue. I'm not sure what would happen if he returned to the US -- are they still in that account waiting for him or are they gone forever unless he repurchases? Are they viewable or still there by using a VPN with a US address?

The second paragraph I pretty much agree with, but people still have functioning 78rpm acrylic records, 8mm films, reel to reel tapes, VHS, and functioning Victrolas

Brent Reid and MatthewA like this.
  2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

It is a great time to be a home theater enthusiast. I watched a couple of fine movies from KINO on BD a couple nights ago, and yesterday streamed a marathon of Kung Fu (in HD!) on Amazon Prime.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The key difference being that you can bring your region 1/NTSC DVD player with you when you move.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Yes, but people also probably own media of those types which they can no longer play for various reasons - - the media has deteriorated, been damaged, no longer own a device to play it with, etc.

I have owned a BD disc that would no longer play due to damage, but have yet to lose access to any digital content in my library (although I recognize it could happen). As Josh said, there is no 100% foolproof solution - - everything has pros and cons.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes Stunt Coordinator

Mark Mayes
    No, there is no foolproof situation. But I have used streaming in classrooms, only to find that the film's won't load, stop during play, or break up and accelerate. BDs have been consistently reliable for me...and dvds when BDs were not available for the title.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Sounds like you have a crappy Internet connection in your classroom. I have experienced none of those issues in my home.

Tino likes this.
  8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Which is why I agreed with the 2nd paragraph. There are people who do have functioning media , there are people who don't.
    The real different is digital is approx 5 years old and I'm unaware of any of my similar aged physcical media that isn't working, My LD are 25-35 years, I have some playable VHS a little older (if I wanted), I certainly have some LP's from teh 50's and not trouble playing media that has been cared for.

In 20-40years will Digital be just as useful (or un-useful) depending on your bent. I suspect in 25-30years I will be far, far less useful other than either a houseplant or fertilizer as the situation unfolds

Brent Reid and Detour (1945) like this.
  9. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    OK, here's a dumb question: how will one buy this digital-only release? The only such thing I've ever bought is from Amazon Prime. Will this one be available that way?
    Earlier in this thread someone posted that if you already own the movie it will be upgraded for free. Does that mean if you've bought an earlier streaming version of this movie, or any disk version?
    (Told you it's a dumb question.)

Osato likes this.
  10. RBlenheim

RBlenheim Agent

Robert Blenheim
    ...And I hope the irreverent and offensive 'colorized version' is NOT included. It deserves to go the way of button-shoes and fake Picassos.

MatthewA and Detour (1945) like this.
  11. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Free upgrades to 4K only applies to HD titles previously purchased from iTunes. If you bought it anywhere else you will have to re-buy it to get it in 4K. You need to wait and see which digital retailers are going to carry the new 4K version. I would be surprised if Amazon Prime gets this in 4K. Their selection of 4K streaming titles is very limited compared to Vudu and iTunes.

Osato and Marvin like this.
  12. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don’t mind the colorized version as long as the original is available too. It’s actually very well done. Not like earlier colorized films.

LouA likes this.
  13. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I can't even get the computer I'm typing this message on to stream anything on YouTube higher than 1440p!

14. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    As soon as the 4K went live, I hit the buy button. It looks fantastic. I think you guys are going to marvel at what HDR can do for Black & White. Very nuanced grayscale with ultra deep blacks.

Osato and Tino like this.
  15. Message #95 of 105 Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I checked a couple times earlier this morning, but my iTunes download/digital was still HD. However, it’s now Dolby Vision and it looks beautiful compared to HD. :D

Osato and Mark-P like this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It’s still only HD on Vudu and Amazon Video. Also, the bonus material is still the same on iTunes with the colorized version.

Osato likes this.
  17. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Is there supposed to be new bonus material? Btw my copy has upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision:thumbsup:

Osato likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I thought I read that in the press release that Ron posted.

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    You’re right. From the Press release:

, the release will also include new interviews with contemporary filmmakers and restoration experts about the movie’s extraordinary sound, music, cinematography and visual effects, as well as the meticulous process of preserving and revitalizing this iconic masterpiece.

Osato likes this.
  20. Osato

Osato Producer

I’m hoping a blu ray release will materialize in the future.

It’s time to start watching Christmas movies!!!