What's new

Phantom Menace DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Why isn't this DVD available in DTS yet? :angry: Is Lucas going to pull a Saving Private Ryan on us? DD first, then when it's all bought up, here comes the DTS version. Hah! Made you buy it twice! Or 3 times if you count the VHS.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Look, you dont need a DTS version of TPM, cause the DD version shatterrs every DTS and DD mix. Do you have the disc? If you did, you wouldnt be complaining.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeff, your new so i'll give you a heads up, this subject really gets to people around here, and i've seen threads get pretty ugly.
However, Donny's right, the DD 5.1 mix on this disc is referrance quality, a dts track is not needed, nor does Lucasfilm plan on releasing one.
I don't know how new to dts and DD you are, but it's just not wise to swear complete loyalty to one audio format. As I always say, a great audio mix is a great audio mix, either DD or otherwise. If the DD track rocks, what's the problem?
BTW, Welcome to the forum!:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also, for future reference, DVD related questions and comments should be posted in the SOFTWARE section.:)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yet? That assumes this disc will ever be released in DTS, which is far from certain, and at this point decidedly unlikely. As for pulling a Saving Private Ryan? Both the DTS and Dolby Digital versions of this title were announced well in advance of release, and the DTS disc hit store shelves only two weeks after the Dolby Digital version. It was originally planned to be a simultaneous release, but was delayed slightly. Hardly a case of forcing people to re-buy.

No one is forcing you to buy anything, and there's nothing about Episode One's Dolby Digital soundtrack that would lead one to assume that it would be any better in another format. Things aren't quite as black and white as you imply.

Adam

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
No, I've not bought the disc yet but I did rent it. I'm only asking because IMO I think the DD mix left something to be desired. Also TPM was recorded using both DD and DTS for it's theatrical release so why not the DVD as well?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Also TPM was recorded using both DD and DTS for it's theatrical release so why not the DVD as well?
One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. If it did, around 90% of DVD releases from all studios of movies made in the past five or so years would have DTS on them.

Many feel Lucasfilm's links with Dolby on working with the EX surround format is the reason for lack of DTS on Phantom Menace DVD. Lucasfilm's official word on why there is no DTS on the DVD is space limitations and the want for the best quality possible on disc 1.

You'll be waiting forever if you want a DTS release.

Dan (UK)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeff, it's all up to George Lucas, he wanted the audio format on the dvd to be in DD 5.1 EX, so that's what we got.
Just curious about something, you said that the mix left you a little cold, what is your set up like? Many here on the forum, even seasoned pros agree that this disc is outstanding in the audio department.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
The thing that bothered me about the DD mix of TPM was the lightsaber duel in the end. My VHS copy sounded better, and that just shouldn't happen. I know nothing's wrong with my equipment, so something was lacking in those scenes. Maybe it was a bad DVD, but I doubt it. Anyway, guess I'll be waiting till hell freezes over because I'm not buying this one until it's DTS. Now don't get me wrong, I love Dolby as much as any of you here, but IMO most DTS tracks do sound better, but that's a whole other thread that I really don't care to get into. Happy viewing and listening!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I thought that the sound mix on the TPM was pretty good, but definitley not the best I've ever heard. The overall volume of the dialog and music is just too low. Also, I switched back over to the pro logic track on the dvd several times and I couldn't hear much difference between it and the DD. I definitley expected more of such a hyped dvd. The pod race is fantastic, but I also found the lightsaber finale to be a little too weak. I think the problem is just the low level of the music. I'm getting ready to replace the dvd with the laserdisc as soon as I get my RF demodulator. That way I'll get great sound and the real theatrical version.

Greg

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Jeff, it's all up to George Lucas, he wanted the audio format on the dvd to be in DD 5.1 EX, so that's what we got.
John, this isn't fact. As I said before, Lucasfilm have stated a number of times the descision to include DTS was dropped due to space limitations and the want for the best quality possible.

Jeff, is your surround set up calibrated using test tones provided on Avia or Video Essentials? If you're lusting for more bass and a louder soundtrack ("louder" which is what many believe is all DTS has to offer), you may want to investigate the Japanese Dolby Digital Laserdisc of Phantom Menace which does differ somewhat in the LFE department when compared to the DVD.

Dan

Kami

Screenwriter
:laugh:
VHS better than DVD for sound quality? Hmmm...low fidelity 2 channel vs. high fidelity, dynamic ranged 5.1 source.
Maybe try turning up the volume a little higher than you normally would. I think TPM sounds damn good, though I definitely have heard better sound mixes. I think you're going overboard with the VHS comment! :)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The thing that bothered me about the DD mix of TPM was the lightsaber duel in the end. My VHS copy sounded better, and that just shouldn't happen.
Erm, not to sound presumptious.. but you're right, a VHS copy should not sound superior to what is regarded by many as the best soundmix on DVD. If I were you, I'd go over your 5.1 audio setup with a calibration disc and set reference levels. (Video Essentials or AVIA should do the trick, not just THX Optimode..) If you've already done this, then there could be another explanation.
This dvd's volume has been reduced significantly from the laserdisc's release, by around 7-9 dB. I don't know if the VHS DPL was sourced from the same source as the LD's mix, but that could account for the difference in volume. (but again, how could that be so, since the VHS would be compressed in dynamic range)See Bjoern Roy's graph comparisons at this page.. http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....TPM/TPM_01.htm
My advice is to turn the volume up by a few more notches, go to chapter 20.. and to forget about DTS. Another good subwoofer "Wham!" is when Qui-Gon and Darth Maul are duelling through the laser screen tunnel.. eek! :eek:

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the sound mix on the TPM was pretty good, but definitley not the best I've ever heard. The overall volume of the dialog and music is just too low.
The reason the 5.1 soundtrack seems underwhelming is because TPM's volume level is lower than most other 5.1 sountracks. Next time, increase the volume 5-7 dBs when watching TPM. With the volume cranked up, TPM has the best DD track ever. My house is literally shaking during the pod race and lightsaber duels!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I'm goiing to have to side with John on this one. Lucas stated a few years ago that when EX came out, he'd run with with it. He is NOT a DTS fan.

Glenn

John Stone

Supporting Actor
The thing that bothered me about the DD mix of TPM was the lightsaber duel in the end. My VHS copy sounded better, and that just shouldn't happen. I know nothing's wrong with my equipment, so something was lacking in those scenes.
The light saber duel was rattling furniture and moving paintings at my house. What kind of sub do you have? Before I got my SVS I didn't know what I was missing with this DVD!

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. The lightsaber duel is one of the best examples of low end I've seen, and I really wasn't expecting it with just lightsabers. There must be something wrong with your equipment or the disc. Between the duel and the podrace, man, how in the world could you want more????

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
From DVD File's Jim Ward interview;
JW: That is correct. That was a tough call. When you go about configuring and compiling a DVD, especially a two-disc set, there is a lot of content issues and bandwidth issues that we have to take into account. So we had to make some tough choices in order to accommodate all of the desires of everyone involved in terms of the content included on the disc. And (not including a DTS track) was just one of those decisions we had to make.
The above has been stressed many times elsewhere too...
The silly little argument that Lucas prefers one format over another needs to end. Dolby is the standard and in that respect served as the best company to work on the EX format with Lucasfilm. A huge amount of cinemas across the globe are able to run DD and Lucas, Gary Rhydstrom...etc wanted as many people as possible to experience Phantom Menace with the new surround channel in theatres.
There's really no conspiracy here. As much as many want to blame Lucas for something else (crying that it's his fault the DVD has no DTS) it's really a non-issue.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks