What's new

Petition to start an introductory Klington language class at our school??? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
A group of people from our local college have been passing around a petition to sign so they can start an introductory "Klingon" language class... They also want it an accredited transferable class... I no longer go to this school, so I am not sure of the details...

I am speechless...

I am all for people having their fun, but I highly doubt this will be approved... I can see the colleges now... What language did you take to complete your 2nd language requirement??? Oh, I took Klington... LOL...

Technically, I guess you can say it is a foreign language...

I mean many colleges dont approve or offer classes in Sign Language as a second language which they probably should... It's just as important as Spanish, French, or whatever IMO...

The fact that most people who take HS foreign language classes in the US dont remember much of anything even after 4 years tells us maybe we need to improve the foreign language system... There were people in my College Spanish 1 class who had 4 years of High School Spanish who didnt even know basics...I also believe that in college, a 2nd language should be a choice, not a requirement... Many people have no interest or their major has nothing to do with it... This is definately a subject that you wont learn much of anything if you dont have an interest... Sort of pointless if you finish everything and dont know it anyways...

To be honest, I learned more Spanish from the street, self training, and tv than I ever did in a classroom... Everything I use and remember didnt come from a classroom... It came from talking to fluent people and Spanish Seseme Street... lol...

I also have a basic foundation in Sign Language... I have found it to be pretty important and useful... Thats why it upsets me that many colleges do not accept it as a language or offer it... For example, Sign Language would serve you much better in US Health Care than French...

But, Klingon??? Is this a Trekkie taking things one step too far???

What do you guys think about this???

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'd be all for having the class offered as an elective, but as a transferable class? No I don't think so. If they want to offer it like they do drama, or computer classes, or whathaveyou, fine but I can't imagine any colleges taking that seriously to satisfy foreign language requirements.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
What's next? History classes where they explore middle earth and the nuances of orc culture?

Why not learn the Thermian language from Galazy Quest? :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You know, as a former high school nerd, I've always had a soft spot for them socially awkward types. But I think I'd beat the tar out of these people. Seriously.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Eh, Tufts has a class on Harry Potter, and the University of Michigan has, or had a class on how to be/act gay.

Being able to speak Klington is probably as usefully as knowing Sanskrit. As long as your college doesn't let students use the class to fulfill a language requirement, I don't see the harm.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
There was an article on the news about a year ago, and some city was looking for an official Klingon interpretor. They were arresting people that 'claimed' the only spoke that.

Don't know if it ever got filled.

Glenn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Insane... The Klingon language is fiction. While you can study it, you can't be graded on your overall knowledge because it's "make believe". There is no reality to judge against.

These people should be throttled.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is everyone talking about the same thing? Some are using "Klington" which I've never heard of, others are using "Klingon" which is from Star Trek.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't call it a history class, but if they can teach Greek and Roman mythology in a literature class then they might as well teach the stories of Tolkien's Middle Earth. For that matter, Tolkien was a linguist before he was a writer and he created the Elvish language. Why not teach that along with Klingon?

Nevertheless, I think these should be elective type classes and not fulfill a second language requirement. Fortunately my college degree didn't require second language classes. Unless you count the dozen computer programming languages I had to learn.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Sorry about the typo in the title guys...

I tried to change it, but am not allowed to change the title for some reason... If I am, I havent found out how to do it...

"Klingon" not "Klington"

There you go...

From the Publisher
The Klingon Dictionary is the first comprehensive sourcebook for Klingon language and syntax, including fundamental rules of grammar as well as words and expressions that illustrate the complex nature of Klingon culture. It features a precise pronunciation guide, rules for proper use of affixes and suffixes, and a small phrasebook with Klingon translations for essential expressions such as "Activate the transport beam," "Always trust your instincts," and the ever-popular "Surrender or die!"

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There have been additional books on the language published. Plus, Hamlet "in the original Klingon" has been published.

E

Eric Kahn

If they want another language, tell them to try for Esperanto, which does exist, it is another made up language with no tenses to confuse you like spanish and borrows from several different languages

Seth--L

Screenwriter

From what I was told, it as a misguided attempt (obviously) to make students who had never been out of their small towns in Michigan more sensitive to gay issues.

I have a lot of strange stories from that university - my brother went there. For instance, it was university policy to send bills out on the day they were due.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't it Harvard where you could take a course (and get an honorary degree in) golf course design? That seems more practical to me than Klingon.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Found it! I was wrong about the arrests, but they were just trying to be prepared.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/klingon.asp

The county just wanted to make the position available if they needed it.
The story does have a basis in fact. No one denies that, but the county had to explain what happened when it got out of hand.

This page explains even more.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/5/11/7032/18347

I wouldn't want that class on my records. No one would ever take me seriously. Oh wait, no one does now. Oops....

Checking out ...Glenn

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
In Portland Or, they were looking for someone to work for the city who was fluent in Klingon, I think to work with the homeless, or the health department.

I knew Oregon had alot of legal and illegal aliens but give me a break.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
See, that's why urban legends never go away. Someone debunks it (post #18), and then exactly 15 minutes later someone starts it all over again (post #19). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks