What's new

Peter Greenaway's Films (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I really love The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. It is such a cool movie.
Can someone recommend other films by Peter Greenaway? I have a list of his films and don't know where to begin. The only other film I've seen is Prospero's Books.
Whats available on DVD?

The first one I saw was "The belly of an architect" with Brian Dennehy in the main role. The last one I saw "The child of macoon(sp?)" which I also liked. He is one of my favorite directors.

Viktor A Lundberg

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
My personal favorite is The Pillow Book. There's an acceptable DVD of it available from Columbia -- I say "acceptable" because it's featureless and because it's 4:3. I'm not sure if it's full-frame or if they cropped the sides. In any event there's no noticeable cropping (at first I thought there was some but it turned out to be the overscan on my TV set) and it's a beautiful film either way.

Jason Little

Agent
My favorite is Drowning by Numbers. I also liked CTWL, Belly of an Architect, and A Zed and Two Noughts. I started watching Prospero's Books, but I thought it was pretty boring.
That's all I've seen by him, I think.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I liked The Draughtsman’s Contract and A Zed and Two Naughts.

The former is a variation on a trade your wife’s favors for recognition. There are some clever twists as things go along. Film is lots of fun; but the humor is a bit dry, so if you don’t like that kind of thing, you probably won’t like this film.

Zed is beautiful, but again probably not to everyone’s tastes. I think it Greenaway’s best, and I won’t even try to describe anything. I will say that if you liked The Cook, etc. you will probably like this one; but if you had a hard time stomaching the Thief’s end, you won’t like this at all.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Many years ago I rented "26 Bathrooms" (D is for Dental Hygnie ...26 letters ;26 bathrooms -get it).
Very strange short but he made it interesting.
I remember seeing "Thief" when it premiered in SF. I Don't ever remember screaming like that in a movie theater. About half of the women left by the time it ended.
Sort of a British David Lynch in a way.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Greenaway is one of my favorite filmmakers.

Personal Faves: Draughtsman's Contract, Prospero's Books, Drowing By Numbers, The Pillow Book.

Did anyone here ever see The Baby of Macon" Is it on home video anywhere? (Baby of Macon, as far as I know, never had a US theatrical release.)

Claire, I saw "The baby/child of Macon" in Europe when I still lived there. I totally fell in love with it.

Are any of his movies available on DVD yet or are any planned for release anytime soon?

Viktor A Lundberg

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Are any of his movies available on DVD yet or are any planned for release anytime soon?
R1 releases:

8 1/2 Women
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
The Draughtsman's Contract
The Pillow Book
A Zed and Two Noughts

R2 releases:

UK:

The Pillow Book (basically indentical to the R1 release)

France:

Meurtre dans un jardin anglais/The Draughtsman's Contract (much better than the R1)

Japan (note that these may be censored):

8 1/2 Women (no extras, just like the R1)
Peter Greenaway Collection (includes A Zed and Two Noughts, The Belly of an Architect, and Drowning by Numbers)
Peter Greenaway with Michael Nyman (includes three short films: Making a Splash, Fear of Drowning, and 26 Bathrooms)

I'm sure there some I'm forgetting or don't know about. Next year the BFI will release four titles in the UK, a short films collection (with Windows, Water Wrackets, H is for House, Dear Phone, Intervals, and A Walk Through H), The Falls/Vertical Features Remake, The Draughtsman's Contract, and A Zed and Two Noughts, all with some extra material. An R4 Australian release of The Baby of Macon is coming in a couple of weeks but it is apparently pan-and-scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks