Peter Greenaway's Films

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I really love The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. It is such a cool movie.
    Can someone recommend other films by Peter Greenaway? I have a list of his films and don't know where to begin. The only other film I've seen is Prospero's Books.
    Whats available on DVD?

2. Viktor Lundberg

The first one I saw was "The belly of an architect" with Brian Dennehy in the main role. The last one I saw "The child of macoon(sp?)" which I also liked. He is one of my favorite directors.

Viktor A Lundberg

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

My personal favorite is The Pillow Book. There's an acceptable DVD of it available from Columbia -- I say "acceptable" because it's featureless and because it's 4:3. I'm not sure if it's full-frame or if they cropped the sides. In any event there's no noticeable cropping (at first I thought there was some but it turned out to be the overscan on my TV set) and it's a beautiful film either way.

4. Jason Little

Jason Little Agent

My favorite is Drowning by Numbers. I also liked CTWL, Belly of an Architect, and A Zed and Two Noughts. I started watching Prospero's Books, but I thought it was pretty boring.
    That's all I've seen by him, I think.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I liked The Draughtsman’s Contract and A Zed and Two Naughts.

The former is a variation on a trade your wife’s favors for recognition. There are some clever twists as things go along. Film is lots of fun; but the humor is a bit dry, so if you don’t like that kind of thing, you probably won’t like this film.

Zed is beautiful, but again probably not to everyone’s tastes. I think it Greenaway’s best, and I won’t even try to describe anything. I will say that if you liked The Cook, etc. you will probably like this one; but if you had a hard time stomaching the Thief’s end, you won’t like this at all.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Many years ago I rented "26 Bathrooms" (D is for Dental Hygnie ...26 letters ;26 bathrooms -get it).
    Very strange short but he made it interesting.
    I remember seeing "Thief" when it premiered in SF. I Don't ever remember screaming like that in a movie theater. About half of the women left by the time it ended.
    Sort of a British David Lynch in a way.

7. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Greenaway is one of my favorite filmmakers.

Personal Faves: Draughtsman's Contract, Prospero's Books, Drowing By Numbers, The Pillow Book.

Did anyone here ever see The Baby of Macon" Is it on home video anywhere? (Baby of Macon, as far as I know, never had a US theatrical release.)

8. Viktor Lundberg

Claire, I saw "The baby/child of Macon" in Europe when I still lived there. I totally fell in love with it.

Are any of his movies available on DVD yet or are any planned for release anytime soon?

Viktor A Lundberg

9. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor