What's new

Peter Gabriel 'UP' SACD = Crest cracker! (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

Understand though that for print magazines you are having to deal with a fair delay for anything to be covered.

I can't speak for other publications, but I know that our August issue just closed up and was shipped to the printers. I have a couple of reviews scheduled for our September issue (mailed for Mid-August arrival to subscribers) that will have to be ready by the middle of July.

So, we're already looking at a "cover date" of September 2003. I am not on the production end of the magazine (nor do I really want to be), but suspect that content for these issues may already be locked down, and if that's the case that means an October issue for publication.

The downside of print publications is lead time :frowning:

Regards,

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- Any chance you could cover or suggest coverage of this in WSR? :)

I'm not even looking for any bashing of Crest, it would just be nice to know that they did fix the problem, and have some sort of return and exchange program for people without original receipts.

For kicks, here are the links:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=137446
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=18441196
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=18730931
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=147552
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144290

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The downside of print publications is lead time
Perhaps my buddy Bob Levi can cover this in the online Positive Feedback...the beauty of online is instant publishing...

If people have digital photos of cracked spindles, then please attach the image.

The more we have strong evidence, the more likely an audio site will cover it. Perhaps I can work my music connections to get Sony to take a look. They may not be aware of ongoing issues people are reporting here.

Let me know. Thanks.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
25% of my SACD's are cracked.
Javier, that's a high rate. I have no cracks in my collection of 163 SACD discs.

One more thought, in a sense it is better if we know FOR SURE that all the cracked discs were pressed by Crest. Then Sony and other leaders can pressure them and we can boycott them until firm measures are put in place on the disc replication line.

We need to make sure that:

(1) Crest is the only problem.

(2) These discs were not pressed before the DSOTM problems caused Crest to tighten replication settings.

(3) We have visual evidence of severe cracking and not just "hairline" fractures. In the latter case, that might give Crest some "wiggle room" and set any cause back.

Of course, the more clear the case, the higher the probability of media attention...

Otherwise, we won't be completely fair to Crest. Although these are recent albums, often some discs are pressed far before release.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Although these are recent albums, often some discs are pressed far before release.
I agree with this statement, but what bugs me then.... If Crest and the labels it presses hybrid SACDs for knew about the problem prior to the release of the Blue Note SACDs or Peter Gabriel "UP" (which they did since DSOTM became an issue a few months earlier), why couldn't these discs be re-called (i.e., never issued) and repressed either at a different plant or fixed by Crest before foisting them on a paying public?

The release dates for both "UP" and the Blue Note discs were delayed from their original posted release dates, so my assumption was that this may have been done to rectify any issues, but it doesn't appear that way.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have an extra, japan-pressed, non-Crest DSOTM available if anybody needs one but can't buy a non-Crest disc near you. All I ask is the $11.99 I paid for it plus shipping.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I wish we'd see someone report about this in the major HT rags... Maybe *then* something would be done about it.
That would be nice but I wouldn't count on it; I've yet to see any mention of "DVD rot" in S&V. Probably a case of not wanting to offend their sponsors.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Javier, that's a high rate. I have no cracks in my collection of 163 SACD discs
Hi Lee.

I think I know what you implied with your comment... but I already posted pics of what a cracked SACD looks like. I could post more SACD cracked pics. ;)

I might have had extremely bad luck with my musical preferences being handled by Crest, or something like it. But the fact remains - for an early adopter, I'm *extremely* disappointed at the whole situation. Especially when considering the incredible sound SACD can have - I *wish* to buy more discs, yet I'm afraid they'll be "crackers", too.

All I (and many people apparently) ask is for someone at Sony or Crest to do something about this situation. That's all.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
All I (and many people apparently) ask is for someone at Sony or Crest to do something about this situation. That's all.
I agree that something should be done, that's why I am gathering evidence so I can go to some music producers and raise a little hell.

In the short run, I think all the major retailers are easily offering exchanges including Acoustic Sounds and Red Trumpet online...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks