What's new

Peter Gabriel 'UP' SACD = Crest cracker! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Several people have reported that 'Dark Side Disease' has afflicted the PG 'UP' SACD.

Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

Way to go, Crest. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Buyer beware.

link

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I guess the answer is to not buy any hybrids disc pressed in the US. Wonderful. :angry:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I think you meant UP, not Us. Here in the US, UP is a hybrid disc, while Us is a single-layer disc. The discussion on Hoffman's board is on the UP hybrid. It seems as though the cracking problem has involved only hybrids pressed at the Crest plant.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Given the history and hype of this story, I am going to wait and see what my own personal experience is on the disc.

We also know that Crest tightened production tolerances, so I am a bit skeptical about this being another mfg error.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
We also know that Crest tightened production tolerances, so I am a bit skeptical about this being another mfg error.
These same guys made rotting DVDs for an extended period of time, so they have a history of bad quality control that predates their defective SACD hybrids.

Also, we have no idea that Crest made any production changes. We may know what they claim. We also have no idea when the Peter Gabriel discs were pressed.

The marketing and distribution for 'UP' is terrible. It is still nowhere to be found around here, not even at Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders, and so on. I ordered it online after I could not buy it locally.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Well if they did tighten up production tolerances, I have yet to see it.

My first copy of "UP" had over 5 major cracks - one almost into the data area. I exchanged it for another yesterday - so I will wait and see. I may just order a European version to ensure I get a "good" copy.

As far as Crest is concerned. I have to say 90% of all my Crest mfg. SACDs have exhibted cracks:

2 copies of DSOTM - finally got a Japanese version.

Ray Brown "Soular Energy"

3 Doors Down - "Away from the Sun" - I am on my 3rd copy already.

Shaggy - "Lucky Day" - major cracking and pieces chipping off. So far my second copy is alright.

Alison Krauss and Union Station - "Live" - 2 minor cracks on disc 1.

I have yet to see any improvement in Crest Mfg. practices. E-mail to two executives at Crest have been received (as I got a return receipt), yet no response whatsoever.

This situation has got me pretty ticked. :angry:

Putting positive spin on the situation isn't going to help. U.S. manufacturing of hybrid SACDs is in serious trouble until we get first-hand confirmation that Crest mfg. problems have been rectified - and that all "defective" discs will be replaced with discs that will not crack at all.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
And we know this from the High Fidelity Review story posted by one Brian Moura who was serving as a mouthpiece for Crest and asked zero pertinent questions in his story. I consider this story far from being definitive. Please. :rolleyes:

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The marketing and distribution for 'UP' is terrible. It is still nowhere to be found around here, not even at Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders, and so on. I ordered it online after I could not buy it locally.
That is because this is another one of those Hybrids which are not replacements for their redbook counterparts. A missed opportunity for growth of the SACD format since Up is an excellent multichannel hi-res experience. I ordered my copy online as well, but did find a single copy in the Best Buy near me on release day.

So far no cracks on my disc, but it has yet to leave the player. I am going to check it olut again tomorrow to make sure though.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin said:

That is because this is another one of those Hybrids which are not replacements for their redbook counterparts. A missed opportunity for growth of the SACD format since Up is an excellent multichannel hi-res experience.
Also a missed opportunity to have an even greater number of defective discs returned by angry consumers! ;)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Please, don't let it be so. As it is, I have 3 cracked DSOTM's (which I can't exchange, living in Mexico). And I just ordered "Up" from Amazon... another disc I won't be able to exchange if defective.

I guess if the trend continues, I'll stop ordering SACD's via web site stores. I can't get the complete selection around here, but at least Sony Shops sell all SACDs they have at $15 per single disc and $30 per dual album. And the rest of the stores usually carry the european imports, not US-made ones.

This sucks. I love SACD, and those idiots at Crest seem never to do anything right. Can't Sony take away their license, or something?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the 'UP' SACD from Amazon.fr and received the disc in three days (I paid for express shipping). I also ordered the hybrid 'So'.

The french discs are pressed in Japan with packaging printed in the EU.

It was a bit pricy, but if you ordered several titles and paid for slow shipping, the average SACD would be about $19 shipped.

I shouldn't have to buy any imports. Our domestic discs should not be defective. They should be hybrid, also.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

My 'Dark Side of the Moon' disc was literally disintegrating, leaving flecks of plastic inside of the jewel case and my CD player. I also have a rotted 'Heathers' DVD pressed by Crest. Frankly, I don't feel like risking it, nor do I want Crest to get my money until they straighten up.

The 'So' hybrid cost me several bucks less than buying the new SACD and the new CD remaster.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Guess what.....My copy of Up has formed two cracks.

Right now I have Norah Jones, Coltrane Blue Train, DSOTM, and Up with various degress of cracking.

Crest needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall for their shoddy manufacturing. Fixed the problem my ass, thanks for the lip service Crest, Brian Moura, and High Fidelity Review :angry:

:thumbsdown: Crest :thumbsdown: Crest SACD Hybrids

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wish we'd see someone report about this in the major HT rags... Maybe *then* something would be done about it.

OK, I just did my part. I collected the links from the DSOTM, Norah Jones, and this thread, along with the two High Fidelity Review links (about DSOTM and Crest), and just sent everything to S&V. I'll also try to send them all to the other mags I read too. WSR, TPV, HTM, etc.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I just received an e-mail notification for this thread being active.

Yep. You guessed it. Now I own *4* cracked SACD's out of 15.

25% of my SACD's are cracked. 3 DSOTM's and 1 PG's "Up". Apparently, my Police EBYT and Norah Jones SACDs are also at risk, since both are pressed by Crest.

Seriously - is there a possibility of a class action suit? I'm not an american citizen, but I'll simply stop buying american-made SACD's from now on.

Frankly, this whole thing s*cks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks