What's new

Pet Shop Boys appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I have liked many of their songs right from the start, but it took quite a while to find albums I really liked. For a long time, the only album I owned was Discography, and the next was Montage, the DVD from the Nightlife tour, so basically compilations.
Their collaborations have always been interesting, in addition to the previously mentioned Battleship Potemkin and Closer To Heaven (which I had the fortune of seeing in London), I must mention the magical Results, with Liza Minelli. Also their remixes for Bowie and Madonna.
It wasn't until Yes I found an album I fully liked, and then of course Pandemonium live, Electric and Super, can't wait for the next one with Stuart Price.
I managed to see both Electric and Super tours, hoping they'll come back to Sweden on heir next tour, whenever that may be.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
C3BC6290-4674-41CF-B57B-AAFDB5612239.png
What's on it?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
One of the Pet Shop Boys strongest suits is the incredible catalog of excellent album tracks/B-sides. Right now I'm listening to "Shameless" from the Very: Further Listening set....LOVE THIS SONG!

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Bilingual is still the missing one from this set of releases...

View media item 5147
Well, the one missing from my collection now bought and perused. As I said earlier, not necessarily my favourite, but I do like the track order of the bonus disc and the information in the booklet is as interesting as ever...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
In 2005 PSB released a new soundtrack to the silent film Battleship Potemkin. Unfortunately they never released the film with the soundtrack, only the CD. Worse, the CD was edited on the first couple of tracks so in order to properly watch it you had to start the film about 15 minutes in.

I finally decided to edit the soundtrack to match the video. There are two versions, the SD version uses the same release PSB used. The HD version uses a restored release but was heavily edited to match the PSB soundtrack. There were also some edits done to the soundtrack to allow for the restored footage to be used.

SD version: https://youtu.be/YKQEdPk0y38
HD 1080p restored version:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I am REALLY going to be disappointed if their tour is cancelled! I have tickets to see them with New Order in September!

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I am REALLY going to be disappointed if their tour is cancelled! I have tickets to see them with New Order in September!

I think you’ll be lucky if any PSB event goes ahead this year...:(

Last edited:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Here's the trailer for the remastered It Couldn't Happen Here:
If, when, why, what?

I've never seen it either (the night I trekked up to Gateshead to see it in the new cinema with decent sound, the film had broken and they cancelled the showing ....:(), but the Blu Ray is on order.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If, when, why, what?

I've never seen it either (the night I trekked up to Gateshead to see it in the new cinema with decent sound, the film had broken and they cancelled the showing ....:(), but the Blu Ray is on order.

June 15, 2020 in the UK! (I think that's the date.)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
It's not a very good movie, but it is a classic piece of 80's-ism.

Annoyingly, I had just completed ripping my laserdisc for adding to my Plex library about a week prior to the bluray announcement. :huh:

Amazon UK says they aren't sending this to the States. I'm wondering if that will change or if I should just order through BFI. Chances are Amazon will ship this in a bag while BFI will probably use a proper box.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I've just finished binge-watching 'Hollywood' on Netflix.
Co-incidence that the gay-themed film they are making at the end is also called 'Dreamland'....? !

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
My favorite is still their collaboration with Dusty Springfield.

And of course the two working with Liza.

"Heart" One of my favorite songs by them.

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely LOVE Liza's Results album! I'm not sure if it's still in print, but several years ago it was released in the UK as a deluxe edition with extras tracks (remixes) and a DVD of the videos from the LP. I like Dusty's Reputation and Rarities album, released a few years after WHIDTDT was a hit, also produced by PSB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks