What's new

Amazon Prime Peripheral (1 Viewer)

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
I just started this sc-fi series last night having watched E1 and I'm hooked. I hope it continues like this.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the first season, and really enjoyed it. The rural North Carolina setting in the 2032 timeline feels a little over the top red neck meets Faulkner at first, and the urban London setting in the 2099 takes a while to become fully realized. But by the end of the season, I was fully invested in both the characters and the world.

A Simple Plan screenwriter Scott B. Smith adapted William Gibson's 2014 novel and wrote or co-wrote most of the episodes. Kilter Films is the show's production company, and Jonathan Nolan brought on Greg Plageman, who ran his show "Person of Interest", to serve as the showrunner on this. While that show was mostly episodic, with only a handful of serialized elements, this show is entirely serialized. But unlike "Westworld", which delighted at being impenetrable at times, this felt more accessible with a mix of science fiction and procedural elements.

The show doesn't work of its heroine Flynne Fisher doesn't work, but fortunately Chloë Grace Moretz is more than up to the task. The supporting cast is also excellent, and by the end of the season I wanted to learn more about most of the side characters -- especially some of the ones in London.

The season finale definitely provides a final conclusion to many of the storylines, while setting up a very different second season should the show get renewed.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just started it a few days ago and I've watched the first three episodes. I am enjoying it so far.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the 8th episode. I don't quite understand exactly what happened at the end (I have some ideas), but if they get a second season I assume we'll learn more about that. I am looking forward to the next season.

I started glancing at the wiki article on the book. Apparently that has split POV alternating between Wilf and Flynne,

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the 8th episode. I don't quite understand exactly what happened at the end (I have some ideas), but if they get a second season I assume we'll learn more about that.
Flynne sacrificed herself to save her timeline from the Research Institute's scorched earth tactics to contain her. But before she is killed, her consciousness is digitally copied -- similar to the police detective's subordinate is a copy of her late daughter. So the Flynne we followed all season is dead, but a Flynne with all of her memories, her personality, and her objectives has picked up where she left off, now in the body of a Peripheral full time.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Flynne sacrificed herself to save her timeline from the Research Institute's scorched earth tactics to contain her. But before she is killed, her consciousness is digitally copied -- similar to the police detective's subordinate is a copy of her late daughter. So the Flynne we followed all season is dead, but a Flynne with all of her memories, her personality, and her objectives has picked up where she left off, now in the body of a Peripheral full time.
Not exactly what I was thinking.
is that the copy was placed in the version of herself in the stub that she created and so she can still escape the Peripheral in case something happens to it and still have the knowledge gained. I don't think we really know yet which way it might be.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly what I was thinking.
is that the copy was placed in the version of herself in the stub that she created and so she can still escape the Peripheral in case something happens to it and still have the knowledge gained. I don't think we really know yet which way it might be.
I don't think she's necessarily limited to the Peripheral, but she does exist as a digital construct now rather than an organic being. The version of her in her stub needed to die, because that version of her had the bacteria in her brain that the Research Institute is so concerned about. Presumably the data in that bacteria is also in the digital version of her that gets sent back to 2099.

That doesn't mean that there isn't an organic version of her potentially still in play, though; as you noted, before her death she created a parallel stub branching out in 2032. That Flynne wouldn't have received the download from Aelita West's first mission, but would have lived the same life as our Flynne up until the start of the first season.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Ack, found this series frustrating. Hard to decipher dialogue, and Moritz's cracker accent that came and went. And the end was confusing. No season 2 for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Amazon Press Release said:
Prime Video Greenlights Second Season of The Peripheral, From Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan's Kilter Films

CULVER CITY, California - February 9, 2023 - Prime Video announced today it has ordered a second season of the sci-fi drama series The Peripheral, starring Chloë Grace Moretz and based on the best-selling novel of the same name by William Gibson. Season One debuted exclusively on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide on October 21, 2022. The Peripheral is produced by Amazon Studios and Warner Bros Television, in association with Kilter Films.

"We are thrilled to continue the journey into Season Two and delve deeper into the incredible world that Gibson created," said Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan, Kilter Films. "On behalf of Scott Smith, Vincenzo Natali, and the entire team, we're grateful to our partners at Amazon and, most of all, to the fans."

"William's mind-bending story in partnership with the brilliant minds of Scott and Jonathan and Lisa, produced an unforgettable journey for our global audience and we are thrilled with how they embraced the series," said Vernon Sanders, head of global television at Amazon Studios. "We look forward to extending our partnership with Warner Bros. and Kilter Films as this uniquely ambitious series continues to unfold."

The Peripheral centers on Flynne Fisher (Chloë Grace Moretz), a woman trying to hold together the pieces of her broken family in a forgotten corner of tomorrow's America. Flynne is smart, ambitious, and doomed. She has no future; until the future comes calling for her. The Peripheral is master storyteller William Gibson's dazzling, hallucinatory glimpse into the fate of mankind - and what lies beyond.

Season One of The Peripheral starred Chloë Grace Moretz (The Miseducation of Cameron Post), Jack Reynor (Midsommar), Gary Carr (The Deuce), Eli Goree (One Night in Miami... ), Louis Herthum (Westworld), JJ Feild (TURN: Washington's Spies), T'Nia Miller (The Haunting of Bly Manor), Charlotte Riley (Peaky Blinders), Alexandra Billings (The Conners), Adelind Horan (The Deuce), Alex Hernandez (UnREAL), Katie Leung (Chimerica), Julian Moore-Cook (Peaky Blinders), Melinda Page Hamilton (Messiah), Chris Coy (The Deuce), and Austin Rising (Alt).

The Peripheral is produced by Amazon Studios and Warner Bros Television, in association with Kilter Films. Executive producers for The Peripheral are creator and showrunner Scott B. Smith (A Simple Plan), director Vincenzo Natali (In the Tall Grass), Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy (Westworld), Athena Wickham (Westworld), and Steven Hoban (In the Tall Grass).

About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of movies, series, and sports - all available to watch on hundreds of compatible devices.
  • Included with Prime Video: Watch movies, series, and sports, including Thursday Night Football. Enjoy series and films including Emmy winners The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Lizzo's Watch Out for the Big Grrrls, Emmy-nominated satirical superhero drama The Boys, and the smash hits The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Shotgun Wedding, Samaritan, Thirteen Lives, The Tender Bar, Being the Ricardos, The Tomorrow War, Reacher, and Coming 2 America. Prime members also get access to licensed content.
  • Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like HBO Max, discovery+, Paramount+, BET+, MGM+, ViX+, PBS KIDS, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, STARZ, and SHOWTIME - no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
  • Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, and special deals just for Prime members.
  • Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV.
  • Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
  • Prime Video is just one of many shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits included with a Prime membership, along with fast, free shipping on millions of Prime-eligible items at Amazon.com, ultrafast grocery delivery and pickup, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, prescription savings, and access to ad-free music, books, and games. To sign up or start a 30-day free trial of Prime, visit: amazon.com/prime.
About Kilter Films
Kilter Films is a Los Angeles-based production company founded and run by Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan. Nolan is a critically-acclaimed Academy Award(R) and Emmy Award(R) -nominated writer, director and producer known for his work on The Dark Night, Interstellar,and Memento. Joy is an Emmy Award(R) -nominated writer, director and producer. In 2022, Kilter Films premiered the fourth season of HBO's hit series Westworld, which amassed 54  Emmy(R) nominations, along with DGA, WGA, PGA and SAG nominations. Through their deal with Amazon, Kilter Films recently launched the series adaptation of William Gibson's 2014 sci-fi thriller novel, The Peripheral, starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Gary Carr. They have also partnered with Bethesda Game Studios to develop Fallout, a television show for Amazon based on the worldwide best-selling video game franchise, starring Ella Purnell, Walton Goggins and Aaron Moten. Nolan is set to direct the pilot episode and executive produce. In film, Joy made her feature film directorial debut with Reminiscence for Warner Bros.  Starring Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson and Thandie Newton, Joy wrote the script, which landed on The Black List, and produced with her Kilter Films partner Nolan and Athena Wickham. Kilter Films also produces interactive and transmedia marketing for the series, including a Westworld Super Bowl spot directed by Nolan. Previously Kilter Films created and produced CBS' 2011-2016 Emmy nominated crime series Person of Interest, starring Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson and Taraji P. Henson.

Follow The Peripheral: Twitter: @ThePeripheralPV Instagram: @ThePeripheralPV #ThePeripheral

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
I watched the season finale last night and it did not disappoint. I love how they ended it and its just going to keep building the suspense.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Holy crap.

That is some dense, HARD CORE SciFi.

No doubt I missed at least half of it.

It’s nice to find something that doesn’t treat the audience like a bunch of children.

I’ll probably have to watch it least once more before S2 drops.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I suspect more shows that had been renewed are going to find themselves un-renewed if these strikes go on much longer.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I hadn't heard of this show until I read about its demise in the Telegraph today. How can this be so, I watch Prime and watched all of their previous show Westworld. I am now watching ep1. It's hardly surprising shows are being cancelled due to lack of interest when their promotion has been so poor.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It’s a shame. I enjoyed this and was expecting a continuation as had been announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks