What's new

Pepper Sprayed at the Movies (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i wish there were cops that maced rude patrons at the theaters i frequent. it would be a welcome addition.

perhaps i am overreacting. perhaps i am not.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I hate cell phones in the movies as much as anyone, but that's just way too much. And what takes it further into the realm of overkill is that this occured during the opening credits of Catwoman. It's not like if it was Lawrence of Arabia that was being spoiled. I would bet the conversation the woman was having with her mother was way more interesting than those cheesy opening titles.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Cell phone or not, that's pretty damn excessive behaviour for a police officer or security guard to take... especially if their stories hold up and they did nothing to provoke that kind of reaction.

I smell a lawsuit...

Moe.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think they got off easy. I can take most things at the movies, that's part of the fun.. But people who attempt to have a conversation on a cel phone during a film is a major discourtesy.

If you get a call, get off your lazy bum and leave the auditorium and take your call outside. You don't sit there and start having a conversation. Forget pepper spray - the guard should have used a flamethrower. FFOOOOOM!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's why the sodas are so big. You can dump half on an idiot and still have plenty left to drink.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't it at all remind you of every goofy cop movie you ever watched? I mean, this seems like something out of Police Academy. Or what was that John Candy as a security guard.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
It's comforting to know that the opening credits of Catwoman take precedence over leaving the theater to take a phone call about a family emergency.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
The news is reporting that witnesses said they did nothing to provoke this, however we dont know if the witnesses were people they were with. I have been to the movies and seen people get down right hostile after an usher or security person asked them to stop disturbing others in the theater.

Also, I think the girl loses credibility by saying she had to take an emergency call in the theater. If she really thought it was an emergency she would step outside the theater for a couple minutes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

How did she know it was an emergency? She had to answer it first to find that out and your damn phone should be turned off when you enter the theater.

And what was this grand "emergency"? Has anyone heard what was so damn important?

Of course, I think the whole crowd in that theater should have been sprayed for even paying to see "Catwoman" in the first place. :)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"And what was this grand "emergency"? Has anyone heard what was so damn important?"

Her mom wanted to know if she had set the DVR to record Extreme Makeover.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Exactly.

Doesn't anyone pay attention to the courtesy messages before a screening anymore? The service message that reminds patrons to switch off their phones, make sure that they are on time for the movie screening, and no constant loud chatter when the movie is playing

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Phone or no phone, pepper-spraying someone is really excessive behaviour.

I can appreciate that cell-phones in the movie theater bother people... hell, it's pisses me off to no end. But pepper spray? That stuff's reserved for badasses who need to be subdued, not some girl who's armed with a Nokia.

Talk on a phone - leave the theater... that's just common curtosy. Yeah, ok fine... she didn't and she should have been kicked out. But it should have stopped there...

If you ask me (and if her story holds up, and she did nothing to provoke this kind of attack), she should seek some form of compensation from the theater, and the cop/security guard should be reprimanded for his/her actions.

Otherwise, you may be the next person to get some pepper in your face the next time you get pulled over for speeding and have the audacity for asking the officer to show you the radar gun.

Moe.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"If you ask me (and if her story holds up, and she did nothing to provoke this kind of attack), she should seek some form of compensation from the theater."

If she does, I hope the theater pepper-sprays her again, and sprays her attorney, too. All pepper-spray, all the time. Spray everyone.

Bren_Chris

Stunt Coordinator
Bravo la pepper spray! Would that so many other cell phone abusers suffer the same penalty.

"Family emergency?" If I received an emergency call, I would hustle outside to take it. And if you're expecting an emergency (so and so's in grave condition at the hospital, or so and so's going to have the baby any minute), you shouldn't be at the movies anyway.

But then I'm biased - can't stand those electronic leashes and the people who become willing slaves to them.

:)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I will leave my phone on silent with vibra on when in the movies. If it is an "emergency", I know it when someone has called me multiple times in a row.

Still, there is no excuse for pepper spraying the patrons unless they were hostile. Some of you guys need to put things into perspective as going to the movies is not the most important thing in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks