What's new

Pee Wee's Playhouse... (2 Viewers)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

No because Paul Reubens just started working on extras.

Don't want to double-dip? Don't buy these two sets. It's that simple. I have a lot of respect for Image because they announced this limited edition before the original was released.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I'd like to see this quote. The concept of "Uncle Andy's Funhouse" is undeniably similar to "Pee-wee's Playhouse" but it's entirely possible that the two came up with the idea seperately. If I remember correctly, Bob Zmuda claims in his book that it was basedon Kaufman's concept, but that Kaufman gave Reubens his permission. However, Zmuda is known to exaggerate and embellish (his Kaufman book is full of proven inaccuracies). It's also been said that Reubens flat-out ripped the concept off, and others say that Reubens claims the idea is his. The "Pee-wee Herman Show" (a live stage show that was aired as an HBO special) predates "Pee-wee's Playhouse" by 5 years (and Kaufman's death by 2 years, which would make Zmuda's claim that Kaufman agreed to let Reubens do the show while he was still alive and healthy pretty unlikely). The whole thing is pretty complicated and it would be foolish to cite Zmuda as a reliable source. I think the most likely explaination is that two people from the same generation with the same television influences came up with similar concepts. Both are undeniably derivative, with obvious influences.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I have a question about the upcoming special editions. Are they taking the same discs and adding an "extra features" disc , like with the "Nightmare on Elm Street" set or and there going to be all new discs?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Image has not said anything re: this, but the fact that commentaries are supposed to be included on the 2nd release makes it almost definite that the discs with the episodes will be different, and they won't just add an extra disc for the extras.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I've been on the brink of picking these sets up, but I managed to restrain myself. lol. As much as I'd like to own these NOW, I definitely plan to wait for the special editions. I've waited this long.........what's a little longer?

I too applaud Image for providing us with this news long before the sets were released. I would've been extremely disappointed if I had bought these sets without any knowledge that special editions would soon follow. I have a feeling it'll be worth the wait. It'll be very interesting to see what special features will be included in the next release.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the other day. Why must they taunt me so?

I haven't heard any news on the SE.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What's the word on the Special Edition sets... it's been a while since anyone's heard anything.

This is why I hate it when studios announce individual or best-of releases prior to the deluxe editions. Consumers obviously end up holding off on purchases to save money and than these proposed future sets end up fading into obscurity...

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I can't believe anybody is still waiting for the Special Edition. The kids and I have been watching the "Standard Editions" for months and laughing our asses off.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people are waiting for the SEs. It makes no sense to buy them bare-bones if I intend to get the deluxe version.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm holding out for the special editions mainly because I'm so far behind in my TV/DVD sets already. Pee wee's Playhouse is definitely at the top of my want list, but if I'm going to own it, I want the sets to contain the most material. Waiting also gives me a chance to put money towards my already lengthy list of sets.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Why? They're supposed to be out for the holiday season...I'm not surprised there isn't an announcement yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks