What's new

Pee Wee's Playhouse... (1 Viewer)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The HBO stage show was one of the first tapes I rented when we got our VCR around 1990 or '91 (late adopter, hehe). It would be great to have that and the TV show next to Pee Wee's Big Adventure on my shelf.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure that special was Pee-Wee's big break. I think it came before the movies and the Playhouse.

Doug

nilito

Auditioning
PW is FINALLY coming out on DVD. The world will yet be a happy place - "Long live Jambee".
:)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Thanks Andrew, I was under the impression that "back in the day" meant ME watching Andy Devine on Andy's Gang.

I am soooo old.:frowning:

Oh, with my much longer perspective, I've got to tell you, Pee-wee was the best!

John*P

Second Unit
OK, Image has announced that this Fall, the entire series of Pee-wee's Playhouse is coming to DVD in two volumes, along with a singe disc (sold separately) for the Christmas special. This is totally freakin' awesome. However, the only thing that bothers me, is that in 2005, a special limited edition set with all 45 episodes and audio commentaries with Paul Reubens and other special features is coming. Why can't they release the limited edition set first? And I wonder if the Christmas special will be included in this set??? Hopefully all my questions will be answered over the next few months.

Also, I'm surprised the series only lasted 45 episodes? I figured it was way more than that, considering it ran from 1986-1991? Guess not...

StacyV

Second Unit

That bothers me too. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get by without being a completist with this set and just being content with the episodes themselves, which is what I'm most interested in anyway. I wouldn't want to double dip, but it's a release day must-have for me. Good to see I can cross this and a few others off the list I made last October.

John*P

Second Unit
I hear ya, Stacy. I suppose if Image announces a date for the limited edition set before the two volume DVDs are released, I could reluctantly wait till 2005 for the LE...I just need to know if the Christmas special will be on it, so I'll know if I need to buy the single disc for the episode or not. If they don't make any announcements like this, I'll probably buy the volume DVDs, but I'm definitely not buying the whole series twice...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
This is excellent news!!! I too am at a dilemma. Get the sets in the fall, or hold out for the limited editions with the commentary? Personally, I'd love to hear Reubens' insight about each episode, how each character was concocted, the set design, etc. With that in mind, I think I'm going to do my best to hold out for that. I have so much on my plate as it is where TV on DVD is concerned, which is probably another good reason to hold off for the limited edition. Mind you, it'd be damn hard because I want these so much!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Why not rent the first discs and buy the full set?

I'm happy Image let consumers know about this before releasing the 2 volumes. It shows respect for the consumer.

Gord

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, am wondering if I should wait for the limited edition or get the 2 boxes this year. You don't suppose that if too many of us wait for the 2005, that they'll think we're not interested and cancel the limited edition entirely? I don't think I could take another Mary Tyler Moore debacle!! :frowning:

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I wonder if that live, more adult oriented special will be on any of the sets. I'm not sure what it was call however I remember naked Gumby was from it.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

You're thinking about "The Pee-wee Herman Show", which was an HBO special from the early 80's. I used to have the video. Skip back to page 1 of this thread. There's more discussion about this particular special over there.

In response to your post however, I can't see that special having anything to do with these sets, especially since "Playhouse" was family oriented, and the special was of a more mature nature. I'd love to see HBO.....or whoever holds the rights to the special however, release it separately to coincide with the sets.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I always thought that was a pilot of some sorts. Guess I was wrong...On to page one before I saw anymore....

StacyV

Second Unit
Any chance we can get Image to do a Freaks and Geeks type of deal and release both standard and deluxe versions at the same time? Saying they won't release the special edition until months after a standard release is almost asking hardcore fans to either not buy the standard or double dip.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
What the hell, there's 2 versions of Freaks and Geeks?

Everyone online retailer I go to only lists one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks