1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series is coming to Blu-ray (yes, Blu-ray) September 25

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MatthewA, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:18 PM.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Now this is something I never thought I'd see, especially since it was shot on tape, but am pleasantly surprised and cautiously optimistic for.

No mention of what the aspect ratio would be for the episodes themselves, but I assume they'd leave them in 4x3. The pre-Blu-Ray days when Sony pulled those kind of shenanigans on movies appear to be over. Shout!'s release of Pee-Wee's Playhouse was one thing since they actually had film negatives to go back to for that, but if they can get the aspect ratio right there, so can Sony here.*

They're also throwing in the animated version, which I assume is also getting remastered.

*Yet Fox doesn't feel the same way about M*A*S*H.

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I'm real happy with the dvds but.... but... but....

...need to reset my mouth oops!

Flashgear likes this.
  3. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
  4. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I thought this was videotaped?

Flashgear and Albert71292 like this.
  5. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    It was. And NTSC, not even PAL.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The animated version was on film, but its post-production was done on tape, as that had become the standard by 1987. IIRC, the same company that animated Muppet Babies was responsible for it.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The reviews regarding video quality should be interesting. Hopefully, some care was taken with the inevitable upscaling.

CHEERS! :)

Albert71292, Flashgear and MatthewA like this.
  8. Message #8 of 12 Jul 14, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    A link about it at that other forum made it sound like Sony has a pretty sophisticating software program that makes it look like these are in HD, despite their standard definition videotape roots. Sounds promising and has my curiosity piqued.

Someone over there also claims to have confirmed that these will be presented in 4:3, unlike how these new transfers have been shown so far on tv with their cropped widescreen presentation. The post sounds believable, so I'll take it at face value and consider it good news.

I'm very curious now what the end result will be. If it's solidly done and I can get it for less than perhaps $50 or so, I'll happily upgrade (Although I'm not so sure this packaging will protect the discs any better than the old complete series DVD set did, which is disappointing considering it's Sony rather than a budget publisher like Mill Creek).

Also, I'm disappointed not to see the UK segments here as an option. I understand that many aren't extant (At least in a commercially viable state), but some of the master tapes did survive and have even been published on DVD in Europe. Would be a neat alternate way for American fans like myself to experience some of these episodes.

9. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    If Fraggle Rock is a success on Blu I sincerely hope it encourages Sony, as well as the many others, to release more TV (on tape) to Blu. There's too much great entertainment from this period that was on tape direct or finished on tape and looks horrendous currently on DVD: Golden Girls, Designing Women, LA Law, Frasier, Gimmee a Break, a few of the Remington Steele episodes, interpolated with others shot on film; ugh! Let's hope vintage TV in general gets the push on Blu-ray soon.

I was hopeful with the Mill Creek complete series of Miami Vice, Quantum Leap and so on. But then the trickle dried up. And while Europe continues to get great HD transfers of Magnum PI and Murder She Wrote, not to mention Columbo, North America doesn't even register as a blip on the proverbial radar. Sony has some grand TV in their canon, including Hart to Hart and Fantasy Island. So, buy Fraggle Rock and keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully, it's a success and the new software has worked minor miracles that will be of a benefit to all still waiting in the wings.

10. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    The Golden Girls and Gimmee A Break! were shot on tape, the rest were all on film. Disney's Golden Girl sets were quite edited from what I remember from reviews. I have the first season of Designing Women and I don't know if Shout Factory remastered it or not. Frasier, belongs to Paramount and CBS Video so it's anyone's guess what they'll do in regards to a Blu-ray release or not. Fraiser turns 25 this fall.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Only one Golden Girls episode was edited, but the rest were not. They presented the first two seasons in mono when it had been in stereo from day one, then lied about it and proved it was a lie when they were put on Hulu that way.

Designing Women has not remastered because that would require the same kind of expenditure from Sony that thus far only Seinfeld has gotten out of them.

12. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Disney doesn't have a great track record for a lot of its releases, so it's no surprise they would lie about audio or visual.

Shout Factory could/should of remastered Designing Women in 2016 for the series 30th Anniversary, but I take it Shout can only do whatever they are either given or have been allowed to do by the studios.