What's new

Pee Wee's Playhouse... (1 Viewer)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
quote:I wouldn't be too inclined to put down more money to re-buy the sets with the commentaries, etc.
I listened to the first commentary track on the Christmas Show disc and was very disappointed. They apparently just did it on the fly, as there didn't seem to be any preparation before recording it. Reubens spends most of his time surprised at what he has forgotten, the others (including two other actors - who play Miss Yvonne and Jambi) aren't much help.

If the commentaries are supposed to be the big extra bonus to get you to buy the deluxe set, I have to say (judging from the Christmas disc) that it simply may not be worth the extra expense or wait.

Geoff_G

Auditioning
I picked up both Volumes this past Tuesday, (At full retail price
furious.gif
) They're about the samer as any other TV on DVD set. Each set comes boxed with 5 smaller cases like the Family Guy sets. There aren't any extras beyond the 8 unaired episodes, so it's pretty straightforward. The manues are all the same, giving you the option to either play all the episodes, or select specific episodes and each episode has chapter stops as well. Overall unless you're a big time Pee Wee fan like myself, wait untill next year when (if?) the special edition set comes out.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
quote:Is Reubens in Pee-Wee persona during the audio commentaries, that would be really great?
Nope. It's just basically a few people watching something they haven't seen in a long time babbling on and on about what they didn't remember.

Geoff_G

Auditioning
Yeah, most places will get this this Tuesday, but some places like FYE (Where I got mine) and Best Buy have already put them on the shelf in some places.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Cool! That's probably why you had to pay list.

I still am looking forward to the limited edition. Even if the special features aren't that great, if they're available, I want to have them. I'm weird that way.
smile.gif

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
quote:Nope. It's just basically a few people watching something they haven't seen in a long time babbling on and on about what they didn't remember.

Well to be fair, I'm sure it's been decades since Reubens and company have watched this so it's understandable, but I'm sure that once they get into the commentary tracks on the full season episodes, they're bound to be a lot more fun and interesting.

PS - For some reason I can't find the Christmas Special anywhere except online?!

Geoff_G

Auditioning
I bought the Christmas Special when it was released at FYE for 10.99 plus a 5 dollar rebate.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Paul Reubens is on Letterman right now and said something to this extent:

He hates when companies release a regular edition and six months later do a special edition. So Image told him they would announce it before the first set is released. It's maybe a year off
frown.gif
but Paul wants to encourage us to buy both the two sets and the LE because "it might be a limited edition of 5 and sell for thousands of dollars."
laugh.gif

StacyV

Second Unit
quote:Paul Reubens is on Letterman right now and said something to this extent:

He hates when companies release a regular edition and six months later do a special edition. So Image told him they would announce it before the first set is released. It's maybe a year off but Paul wants to encourage us to buy both the two sets and the LE because "it might be a limited edition of 5 and sell for thousands of dollars."

Thanks for that mention Anthony. I'd love that limited edition but this makes it obvious that there's still no firm date. Hopefully volumes one and two I pre-ordered will arrive by Monday. This was one of my top most anticipated tv-dvd releases and I can't bloody wait anymore. I love this show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Target and Best Buy both have the Christmas disc. Naturally they are merchandised in with other Christmas discs.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Paul Reubens was on Letterman and jokingly said something like "I told Image that they had to let people know that there was another set coming out later. But, who knows how much it will cost, maybe a $1,000 and they may make only 5 copies. So, buy both."

Ryan

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I got these sets yesterday and I finished disc 2 tonight (I'm watching a disc a day) and I just have to say that it watching this brilliant show after all these years is a great experience. I really hope Paul Reubens gets to backing to make his new Pee-wee movies.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I don't quite understand this double dip for a TV show. I'm sure the no-frills sets will be cheaper, but I'm sure there are people who bought the current sets and would have paid for the extras, but now are stuck with the extraless version. Couldn't they have just released one set a few months from now with all the extras?

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
Eh...Even though Pee Wee ADMITS that this whole show is a rip-off of what Andy Kaufman wanted to do before he died, I'll wait for the season sets.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Matthew, I am confused. I am not sure I understand your remark. The just issued discs present all six seasons of the program in two volumes. Are you saying you'd rather buy each season separately? Is that how the proposed SE is to be released, season by season? I just bought volume I & II for under $53 delivered. I am guessing that buying this program one season at a time (even with discount) would cost more than twice as much. That seems like a lot for extras, no matter how compelling they are.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
No Gary, the release context will not change on the upcoming Special Editions. The only addition to the sets will be an inclusion of extra features, commentary tracks and possibly better cover art / packaging. Otherwise, the context of release will not differ. The episodes are presented in their original production order compiling all seasons of Pee-Wee's Playhouse accross both sets. That format will remain with the upcoming S.E. set/s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks