What's new

Peacock Peacock - NBC/Universal Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
HBOMax seems to resemble an actual studio-owned service trying to show off their own disk-restored product (even with the old Criterion titles left over from Filmstruck), while Peacock literally looks like HuluPlus with Hitchcock and Frankenstein added.

It's a good thing that Peacock has a FWA system for most of its B-titles, since that's the same way I watched Hulu back before it became Plus.
FWA?

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
As we know, "The Office" is coming to Peacock in January. But I just read that only seasons 1&2 will be free.

Seasons 3-9 will be behind a paywall & require paid subscriptions.

Are many people even subscribing to Peacock? Will The Office convert millions to pay for it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As we know, "The Office" is coming to Peacock in January. But I just read that only seasons 1&2 will be free.

Are many people even subscribing to Peacock? Will The Office convert millions to pay for it?
I subscribe to Peacock, but will probably drop them for 2021 as I have too much to watch with other streaming services and physical media.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I am getting the premium service only because I am a Comcast customer. It still has commercials, though, so I rarely watch anything on it. There is no way I would pay for the service if I move on from Comcast.

I bought the complete series of The Office when it was on sale on Vudu a couple of years ago for under $30. So, I don't really care which service is carrying it or what they are charging. It's been awhile since I have watched the series, though, as I am watching a couple of other series with "half hour" episodes right now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This decision doesn’t really affect me but in general terms I like that Peacock has both a free and paid tier. I personally wish it was a little simpler, free with ads and paid without ads (rather than having a free with ads, paid with ads and paid without ads level) but it’s sort of unique among the major services for having that. There’s no free version of CBS All Access or HBO Max or Disney+ or Netflix etc.

I’ve always felt the deal should be if it’s free, it can have ads, if I pay for it, it shouldn’t. But being that paid services going back as far as basic cable have always had commercials clearly the universe doesn’t agree with me :D

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Great feedback, but I wonder if having the Office behind a paywall on Peacock will prove as lucrative for them as just licensing it to Netflix or any other.

I understand what's behind their thinking & strategy ..... keeping it on their own platform to build their own subscribers... but I just think the Netflix/Disney+/Hulu/Prime/and potentially HBO Max platforms are just more than enough options for the average person... I wonder if locking it up on Peacock will be as lucrative for them. I guess we'll find out soon.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Like bad ideas through Comcast's brain trust...

That really seems a very odd choice, no?

Will this be one of those programs that always come w/ ads (and lots of soapy ones at that, LOL :lol:) on Peacock?

One would think such daytime soap would still be best suited primarily for regular, daytime TV broadcasting instead of streaming-only given the demographic along w/ the nature of such content/production... unless their goal is to migrate absolutely everything off from traditional broadcasting into streaming I guess...

I'll say this. I don't really care for the way they currently handle their linear TV programming/channels on the Peacock app/platform, but they seem just about all on there, except for local TV news, and certainly well ahead of CBS/Paramount+ and ABC/Disney+/Hulu in that regard... even if just by default -- I was recently, finally able to convince my mother to cut the cord and migrate over to streaming because Peacock (along w/ easier, more straightforward, linear NYC TV news access on Roku Channels) does just enough to suit her...

Personally, I can't stand the Peacock app myself.

_Man_

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That really seems a very odd choice, no?
Not really. NBC's been trying to take a sledgehammer to the hourglass for at least 25 years. Every time they've come close, the ratings somehow manage to go up and a different soap got axed (First Another World, then Sunset Beach, finally Passions) in its place. Now they've got their excuse.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Like bad ideas through Comcast's brain trust...

I completely disagree.
Soaps used to be “appointment“ TV. How many people are really watching it “live” when it’s broadcast? I was a huge Y&R fan and DVRd it because of work. Years ago you could watch it online but generally 24 hours after broadcast. Imagine just being able to go to Peacock and watch it whenever you want, or binge the whole week in a sitting. I think it’s a smart move.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I completely disagree.
Soaps used to be “appointment“ TV. How many people are really watching it “live” when it’s broadcast? I was a huge Y&R fan and DVRd it because of work. Years ago you could watch it online but generally 24 hours after broadcast. Imagine just being able to go to Peacock and watch it whenever you want, or binge the whole week in a sitting. I think it’s a smart move.
The only problem is those fans of this show living in rural areas without good internet connection.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Question for Peacock streaming users - do movies with Peacock Premium have ads during the movies? I see that there are 3 minutes of ads before the films, and it says the movie will be ad-free, but just because it says that, doesn't mean it's true. I just want to know if I have to have premium plus to watch Halloween Ends without any interruptions during the film. The 3 minutes up front doesn't bother me at all.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Question for Peacock streaming users - do movies with Peacock Premium have ads during the movies? I see that there are 3 minutes of ads before the films, and it says the movie will be ad-free, but just because it says that, doesn't mean it's true. I just want to know if I have to have premium plus to watch Halloween Ends without any interruptions during the film. The 3 minutes up front doesn't bother me at all.
I watched the recent Downton Abbey movie on Peacock Premium. There was an ad before the movie but none during the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks