Peacock Peacock - NBC/Universal Streaming Service (Official Thread)

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
Does anyone knew why Hulu’s version of HBOMax does not show exclusive HBOMax material. Such as Looney Times and The Alianist. To me it looks exactly like HBO Now and not the advertised version oh HBOMax. Thanks
What app are you looking in? Once you sign up to HBO Max through Hulu, the Hulu app will continue to show only HBO material and you access HBO Max content through the HBO Max app.

See here...

Although not sure what this has to do with Peacock ;)

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Does anyone knew why Hulu’s version of HBOMax does not show exclusive HBOMax material. Such as Looney Times and The Alianist. To me it looks exactly like HBO Now and not the advertised version oh HBOMax. Thanks
The exclusive HBO Max material is only available on the main HBO Max app. I subscribe to HBO Max directly, not through another service, so I think you would use your Hulu credentials to log into the HBO Max app.

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
I just noticed that Vudu has a section with free content from Peacock. It looks like NBC/Universal might be dipping it's toe in the water of merging some of it's streaming properties...

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
Last edited:
Reactions: Albert71292

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Wondering if any Roku users have had enough to switch yet...

Not really. I don't watch the service much on the Apple TV in my main setup - - certainly not enough to spend a lot of money to replace the Roku devices on our four other displays.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
First HBO Max and now Peacock.

Wondering if any Roku users have had enough to switch yet...
I have, because of the HBO Max fiasco. Already replaced both my Roku's. The one in the livingroom with an Apple TV box, the bedroom with a Nvidia Shield.

When Roku first came on the market, they were an open platform. Now they have just become greedy, with all these "contract disputes". They have permanently lost me as a customer.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have, because of the HBO Max fiasco. Already replaced both my Roku's. The one in the livingroom with an Apple TV box, the bedroom with a Nvidia Shield.

When Roku first came on the market, they were an open platform. Now they have just become greedy, with all these "contract disputes". They have permanently lost me as a customer.
I say let them work things out between them. Can't agree w/ the idea that only Roku might be the greedy ones in all this. They're all big enough companies, and they're not using actually unfair practices (like lobbying for govt favoritism to leverage against others) as far as we know. They each have their own assets and value propositions to leverage. It's just business.

It's not like we're talking some kinda normally freely/cheaply available, basic life necessities that one or the other is trying to co-opt and/or price gouge or anything -- and it's not like AT&T/Warner/HBO is in it for charity themselves charging what they do. And of course, if some of us don't wanna wait for them to work things out, sure, we're free to spend the extra $$$ and pay Apple instead -- Apple isn't exactly giving their STB away afterall, but that's their bizz.

So NBCUniversal has just now worked out an agreement w/ Roku. Good for them both (and for us too of course)...

_Man_

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I say let them work things out between them. Can't agree w/ the idea that only Roku might be the greedy ones in all this. They're all big enough companies, and they're not using actually unfair practices (like lobbying for govt favoritism to leverage against others) as far as we know. They each have their own assets and value propositions to leverage. It's just business.
Agreed. Have I been thrilled not by the pissing matches pitting Roku against AT&T and Comcast? No.

But I accept that Roku was never going to be viable long-term as a purely hardware company. Their devices are low cost relative to many other electronics; even the highest end model is less than $100. And what made Roku stand out from the other early streaming devices was its robust ongoing support in the form of a continually updated platform. That requires an ongoing investment. It was a real breath of fresh air after Smart TVs and network-enabled disc players that had a static array of apps that gradually stopped working one by one.

On the other hand, AT&T and Comcast both have a lot of experience as content distributors; they know what it's like to sit on Roku's side of the table, and they know the consequences of setting a bad precedent that would cost them a lot of money over the long run. The move to yank all of the NBC apps from Roku is the kind of brinkmanship they learned from other content providers who hit their cable television services with blackouts.

I'm sure AT&T is going to be watching closely to see what the terms of the Roku/Peacock deal turn out to be. It's apples and oranges in the sense that Roku was mainly after advertising inventory with Peacock, while it is mainly after subscriber revenue with HBO Max. But the terms of the deal will help it gauge Roku's negotiating position; if the deal skews much closer to Comcast's terms than Roku's terms, then AT&T will have reason to believe that Roku will capitulate if they just hold out long enough. On the other hand, if the deal skews much closer to Roku's terms than Comcast's terms, it puts a lot more pressure on AT&T to make a deal because Roku will have shown that it can play hardball and win.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Planmeister

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
RE: Livestream English Premier League games.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know whether Peacock adjusts showing times for YOUR Time Zone? I can't find a general statement (e.g., "All times are ET" OR "All times are PT") OR a Time Zone notation on show times. Makes it really difficult to know what's what time-zone-wise. And very difficult to plan for seeing games as they are played (yes, I know I can watch the game MUCH later that day, typically AFTER 23 news services have reported the score).

Thanks in advance for any help on this. [For the record, I've searched hi/lo on the Peacock website. No help.]

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightRacerKL