Peacock Peacock - NBC/Universal Streaming Service (Official Thread)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Everything I've watched so far there is either a 15 or 30 second Peacock promotional spot at the beginning or no Peacock promotional spot at the beginning. That's it as far as commercials or promotional spots.
I have only watched one thing -- the pilot episode of Leave It To Beaver. There was a message from State Farm at the beginning stating there would only be a single commercial, and then a 30 second State Farm commercial. So, I guess technically they lied, as wouldn't that be two commercials? ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I have only watched one thing -- the pilot episode of Leave It To Beaver. There was a message from State Farm at the beginning stating there would only be a single commercial, and then a 30 second State Farm commercial. So, I guess technically they lied, as wouldn't that be two commercials? ;)
I watched that episode yesterday and it didn't have any commercials before playing the episode.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I downloaded the free version of Peacock over the weekend and watched the 30 Rock One Time Special last night. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mind set for it, but it was painful for me to finish it.

As far as Peacock: I don't have any major problems with the app aside from the layout being fairly obnoxious to look at. I expected the Watch List to have it's own link on the header of the page, but it doesn't. Search seems fairly easy to navigate, there's a decent amount of shows I'd be interested to revisit. But I'm not sure I have the stomach for one more streaming platform, honestly.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am content that most or all movies I have watched on Peacock show the commercials before the start of the movie and then the movie runs commercial free. I also like that if you pause the movie and resume it later you don't have to watch the commercials again, it resumes the movie. The quality of prints of the movies I have watched has been excellent. I do go to Peacock much more than CBS All Access and Disney +, both of which I will most likely drop when the free periods end.

Reactions: EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
My experience after watching about 20 TV episodes is that I am seeing the same half dozen commercials from State Farm, Capital One and Target for 30 to 45 seconds after the show's intro. I am not seeing the variety of commercials NBC is claiming to be striving for.

Reactions: EricSchulz

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
My experience after watching about 20 TV episodes is that I am seeing the same half dozen commercials from State Farm, Capital One and Target for 30 to 45 seconds after the show's intro. I am not seeing the variety of commercials NBC is claiming to be striving for.
In the article, "the effort to reduce the number of times a single ad is viewed by the same user" is attributed to Tubi, not NBCU.

NBCU is taking a different approach by "preventing a single ad from, say, a single pharmaceutical marketer from popping up every time a show cuts to a word from its sponsor."

In other words, NBCU is fine with you seeing the same ads, they just don't want you seeing the same ads multiple times within each show...

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
I was watching a couple of 30 minute TV shows last night, and NBC increased the commercial breaks from one to three for each of the episodes. That certainly didn't take them long to throw in more commercials. If this is going to be the new normal for the service, I will not be watching it much, if at all.

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
I was watching a couple of 30 minute TV shows last night, and NBC increased the commercial breaks from one to three for each of the episodes. That certainly didn't take them long to throw in more commercials. If this is going to be the new normal for the service, I will not be watching it much, if at all.
Isn't that about typical for a show airing for free on TV though?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that about typical for a show airing for free on TV though?
Yes, but for me part of the idea of streaming is to reduce or eliminate the commercials. If NBC's Peacock service is going to have almost as many commercials as free TV, I'm not that interested in watching. I do not watch the other free streaming services with numerous commercial breaks. I have lots of stuff I can watch commercial-free. I was initially encouraged by the Peacock service, as I could tolerate a single commercial interruption. I'm disappointed that they reverted to multiple breaks so quickly.

Reactions: David Deeb

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
We signed up just long enough to binge watch "Brave New World", (a good show), and "The Capture", (a really good show). Otherwise, they do not have anything else we are interested in or have not already seen.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Yes, but for me part of the idea of streaming is to reduce or eliminate the commercials. If NBC's Peacock service is going to have almost as many commercials as free TV, I'm not that interested in watching. I do not watch the other free streaming services with numerous commercial breaks. I have lots of stuff I can watch commercial-free. I was initially encouraged by the Peacock service, as I could tolerate a single commercial interruption. I'm disappointed that they reverted to multiple breaks so quickly.
We're in the same category. Commercials = no viewing 99% of the time, especially with so many other commercial-free options. I will tolerate a short promo / commercial at the beginning, but after a movie starts, there should be no others.

With our Hulu package, we only watch their movies because they have a single short promo before the movie starts. We don't watch Hulu TV series because there are usually at least 5 breaks per 60:00 minute show in addition to a short promo before it even starts. Done with commercials. Forever.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
They are adding so much crap to their movie list, no additional classics. Also THE MAN WITH 2 FACES and THE GREAT IMPOSTER are in the wrong aspect ratios, Peacock you don't indicate HD and there is no 4K. Very disappointing .

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
We're in the same category. Commercials = no viewing 99% of the time, especially with so many other commercial-free options. I will tolerate a short promo / commercial at the beginning, but after a movie starts, there should be no others.

With our Hulu package, we only watch their movies because they have a single short promo before the movie starts. We don't watch Hulu TV series because there are usually at least 5 breaks per 60:00 minute show in addition to a short promo before it even starts. Done with commercials. Forever.
I don't watch much on Hulu because the audio is still 2.0 only on Apple TV. I deal with it for sports in the Live TV section but, rarely use the service for anything else. It should be a crime to only offer stereo in this day and age.

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone knew why Hulu’s version of HBOMax does not show exclusive HBOMax material. Such as Looney Times and The Alianist. To me it looks exactly like HBO Now and not the advertised version oh HBOMax. Thanks

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34