What's new

PE Plate Amp - Rumble Filter. (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

On the PE 300-794 plate amp, is it necessary to activate the bass boost and rumble filter by swapping out resistors? My Tempest sub is tuned to around 16hz and I don't seem to have any bottoming out issues as yet. Is activating the rumble filter protective of the driver?

Thanks,

Jeff

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the rumber filter will cut down/out the low frequencies - whatever the corner frequency of the rumble filter, and it will protect the driver from the ultra-low frequencies, which might cause the driver to operate out of its linear capabilities. Rumble filters act like high pass filters that pass frequencies above its Fc (corner frequency).

The main gut-wrenching DVD to use to test a sub is the dts version of The Haunting. That DVD's dts track is just nuts. My Tempest sub does survive that DVD (sub's also tuned to around 15-16Hz) without a rumble filter.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
IRRC they come with the boost/filter already active. the resistor mod takes OUT the boost/filter.

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys!

Pat,

Are you saying that you wouldn't bother activating the filter if the sub does well with The Haunting?

Rich,

It is my understanding that at one time they came with the boost and filter active but now do not. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeff

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
the boost is flatened but the rumble filter is still there, albeit starting aroudn 12hz IIRC.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you just change R26 to 100K ohms, Rudy's right, you get rid of the boost, and lower the Fc of the rumble filter to 12Hz. The Tempest should be able to take the pounding from the dts Haunting (mine did), and I use a pro amp (Peavey CS-800X) with no rumble filter in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks