What's new

PE plate amp power rating? (1 Viewer)

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Please, can someone tell me the output of the PE sub amp at a 2 ohm load? I've seen 180@8ohm and 270@4ohm, but never a 2 ohm rating.
They may not be rated for 2 ohm operation, but I've had 2 running a 2 ohm load for about 7 months, no hitch.(with a tiny duct from AC blowing over the fins- the amps are wall mounted)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Judging by the jump from 8 to 4 ohms thats a 150% increase in power, so using the same method you should get 150% of 270W which is 405W. This is just a guess on my part, I can't confirm this but I would think it would dish out about 400W into 2 ohms.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hmmm, interesting that you've been running them @ 2 ohms. do they get hot at all?? I have the AVA250, it should be able to handle 2 ohms as well then.

This may be an extremely good thing then. Is there any answers to the reliability of the PE amp @2 ohms. I have a Resonant Engineering (car audio) sub just sittin in my room waiting to be sold. If I could give it 400 RMS, it would REALLY shine, and I wouldn't have to deal with the constant bottoming out of my Orion sub I'm trying to kill, but it won't. I'm almost at the point of plugging it into the wall.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Just because you put it on a lower impedance load doesn't mean it will have more power. If the amplifier's output is limited by current capability at 4 ohms, which it probably is, then you will see less output into 2 ohms. Either way, the amp is not designed for it and most people would tell you to play it safe and not play it loudly into 2 ohms. If you're not going to blow the house down feel free to give it a shot though (I think it would be safe if you don't run it too hot.)

Example: An amplifier is designed to operate with max power into 4 ohms at a maxmimum voltage output of 20V RMS, and can put out 5 Amps of current. The output into 8 ohms is 50W (limited by voltage at 20V, 2.5A), into 4 ohms it is 100W (at max voltage and current), and into 2 ohms it is back down to 50W (current limited 10V 5A). In reality it is a bit more complicated than this but you get the idea.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies.
Cam, 1 amp is the AVA 250, one is the Parts Express amp. They each run a 15inch square Solobaric sub, (got them for my ext cab truck, but movies have such impact I may have to get others for the truck, unless I can get a better HT sub.)
Michael, I see your point. Hwever, there may be a bit of a gain from 4 to 2 ohms with these amps, I have 2 12 inch Solobaric squares, DVC @2ohm ea, and they def play louder at 2 ohm than 4. BUT there is a bit of heat on the fins, I have them mounted in the wall to reach the controls, and I have a small tube ducting cool AC air over the fins.
I don't often have the opportunity to play these at full vol, but the gain can stay at full, and I can turn up some rap like Biggie, or classical like YoYo, or the 5hz stuff from Liszt, it m o v e s you, I read on this forum about U-571, popped it in Sunday, WOW, stuff was falling off the shelves lol. Both amps are modded w 100kohm resistors for 12hz corner freq.(r27)
FWIW, the amps will hook up and play at 1 ohm, tested it on the 12s. But theres a lot more heat, and I didn't want to sacrifice an amp to find the limits.:)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Michael I get your point, but there are also many amplifiers that are factory rated at 4 ohms but can also run at 2 ohm loads. (Just not as stable)

An example is the Alpine MRV-1507 which is rated at 900w RMS 4ohm but known for it's capable output of 1500w RMS 2ohm.

I guess the only real way we'll know is if someone familiar with the amp could shed some light or run an output measurement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks