LAB Horn Subwoofer nearing completion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred Seger, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I've got my my LAB horn subwoofer almost finished minus flare extensions and paint/finishing.
    here is a page with some construction pics on it.
    http://www.globalms.com/horn.htm
    I will add measurement graph as soon as I get a chance to make them properly.
    Construction of this box was more time consumer than I had originally thought it was going to be, but expect for a few pieces I had to trim to make fit right it went pretty smoothly.
    Right now I'm powering it with two PE 250W subwoofer plate amps. Which I think are rated at 350W into 4 ohms which is what these woofers are.
    I got a few minutes last night to play around with it for some very informal measurements and listening.
    Using NCH tone generator on my computer I did a quick sine sweep test. The sub was almost in the middle of our 120'x50'x20' shop, which is the least ideal spot for a horn subwoofer. Ideally it should be fired into corner with one of its edges flush with the wall. Response seems to fall off quickly after about 30 hz.
    Next I threw in a CD to listen to it. I adjusted by ear to match the levels of the speakers, so I'm probably 10 db off correct calibration. But it sound good - very good. My previous subs include a sealed Titanic, Dual EBS Shiva, Sealed Tempest, bandpassed 15" DVC, and a single vented shiva. Although I have got a chance to listening to it in my home, the horn seems to have the best sound - to me. It's punchy, yet detailed and tight. Somebody in another thread describe the sound of a bass horn as "Effortless" and totally agree with the description.
    Naturally I'd have to see how loud it got so I put in some earplugs and take my trusty RS SPL meter, crank the volume about half way and go stand about 2 yards in front of the Horn. It seemed stuck in the 120's. Now at that volume and with ears plugs its hard to gauge distortion by ear, but the LAB horn didn't seem to be struggling.
    As soon as I get the Flare extensions done and get it moved in to HT at home I will be posting measurements. This probably won't happen till at least Saturday.

2. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Im really excited to here the measurements in your HT room. Im planning on building one of these right away.

3. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I'd love to see some pics of it once you get it installed at home too!

4. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Mmmmmmmmm CNC...
    oh ya im lookin forward to measurements as well.

5. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Thought you might get a kick out of this "dorm room setup." These belong to Branson Sagear, there is a post about them on the LAB.
    [​IMG]

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

7. Mark, that picture is halarious [​IMG]
    I couldn't find the Lab forum with the post you are talking about. Can you post a link

8. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Fred,
    That is absolutely awesome! And having access to all that
    niiice CNC equipment never hurts either! You should go into
    buisness selling precut labhorn cabinent kits [​IMG]
    Keep up the TOP NOTCH work!

10. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

WOW... I was looking into horn subwoofers a couple of weeks ago. Back then, I thought they are kinda hard to build. Now I'm absolutely *sure* they are!

They remind me of B$Ws Nautilus speakers, actually.

Fred, are they even tighter than a sealed Tempest? I'm really curious.

11. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Javier,
    A bass horn of this size and low frequency really never is super easy, but do take a look at John Sheerin's own bass horn which is similar to the LAB but with a pair of 10" drivers. For the other extreme of complex, check out the link below to see what's inside a BassTech7...
    BassTech7 Cut-Away

12. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Mark, I haven't had time to look for Sheerin's bass horn, but I did take a look at the BassTech7. All I can say is WOW (yet again).
    What are the advantages of a horn subwoofer? I can imagine they are a lot more sensitive than normal speakers, but is the extra woodwork worth it? It seems like a nice *1 year long* project [​IMG]

13. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Waiting for your inroom response

very excited