What's new

Parts Express 250 watt Plate Amp or Crown XLS 402??? (1 Viewer)

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
I am soon to build a sonosub with the DVC 12” driver. I will use it 80% for home theater and 20% music. Like most here, I like a theater and music with some bass in it. I would not classify myself as discriminating listener. I currently have the Sony SA-WM40 12” 120 watt sub. I plan to use the mono “Sub-Out” output of my Onkyo 595 receiver to feed the amp.

I am contemplating purchasing the PE 250 watt plate amp (8 ohm - 180w mono … 4 ohm – 272w mono) or the Crown XLS 402 (8 ohm – 260w stereo/800w bridge mono … 4 ohm – 400w stereo/1,140w bridge mono). It seems to me the power difference and available headroom of the Crown would be a better combination. I realize the DVC 12” is only rated at 600 watts, but it seems the Crown would be idling at this wattage.

The power increase is intriguing for my current design plans plus any future upgrades. Additionally, the fact that it is a full range amp gives me some flexibility to use the amp as a stand-alone stereo amp for parties.

The PE 250 has some features I do not think I would use, like line level input/outputs; or that my receiver already has, like phase adjustment and crossover.

I am leaning towards the Crown.

Am I missing something that the PE 250 offers that should change my mind?

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
It depends what you want. The PE amp has built in Phase adjustment,Crossover, and Rumble filter and the Crown doesn't. THe PE amp will be more than enough, but it depends if you want to upgrade later. I just started last month and have built 3 subs soo far. If i could do it all over again i would've bought the Crown for more headroom.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Just be careful if you get something like the Crown amp. It's fully capable of driving the DVC 12" past it's Xmax. But properly calibrated, the added headroom is nice to have.

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
How important is the "Rumble Filter". Do people who have the PE 250 actually use this feature? Are they happy with its results?

I understand the Onkyo has a phase adjustment on the "Sub Out." Would this not be a redundant feature on the PE 250 as well?

If I am using the the "Sub Out" on the Onkyo, I understand the no other crossover should be used, thus eliminating that need on an external subwoofer amp.

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go with the crown for a couple of reasons:

-Most importantly, it'll honestly give you 600W (there was a thread at HTF about clipping being the principal cause of blown woofers)
-You currently don’t need the x-over or phase adjustement
-better resale value for future upgrades (you are actually less apt to sell it as well)
-Rumble filter is useful mostly for vinyl, as any ultra low frequency sounds on CD or DVD are actually part of the recording

The inconvenience is that you’ll need some extra shelf space for it, but some will actually like the look.

Rob

PS: even if your receiver doesn't have one, you do get a basic phase adjustment (0 or 180) by flipping the wires

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty convinced the Crown is the way to go.

I suffered through vinyl in the 70's and 80's; and my B & O turntable has long been retired (and... I have NEVER missed it!).

Any other PE 250 comments???

Any word on the fan noise emanating from the Crown XLS Series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks