What's new

PE 3 CU. FT. 12" finished subwoofer cabinets (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,
I was just looking through the PE website and found this finished subwoofer cabinet. Here is the link..... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...14734&CATID=48
I was going to try and build a sub box for my shiva but turns out that I will not be able to. I was just going to have to settle for a car sub box made for two subs. I was going to cut out the middle divider and cover up the other sub hole to get a box big enough. When I saw this I was really happy because I have been searching for a well made sub box for a while and found nothing until now. The picture shows that it has internal bracing and it looks well build also it is supposed to be made with 1" MDF. I’m wondering if anyone here owns one of these or could recommend this or any other premade box in this price range. How well do you think a shiva will perform in this box? If you could give me any advice it would be much appreciated.
Ryan

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Ryan,
This is a well made box for a small sub, aside from not having any pretty finishing. The 1" MDF puts it a leg up on most other similar offerings, as do the braces. I'm getting one of these for a Linkwitz transform box for an HE-15 once I finish a couple of other projects; I'll pretty it up with a veneered sheel with solid oak corner pieces, but it's the guts that count. Only problem is shipping, which considering the weight, isn't trivial if you're a ways away from PE!
wink.gif

With adding a good quality dual voice coil cup, you'll be in business with a Shiva pretty quickly.
Good luck with your project, and have fun.
Regards,
Jon

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
MCM Electronics has the same enclosure that Adire uses for the Rava sub. It's part number 80-430, about $91. It's only 3/4" MDF, but it works quite well with the Shiva. Unlike the PE enclosures, it's got nice oak veneer on it - much higher SAF!
I own a Rava, and I really like the looks of it. Much better than the other under $500 woofers.
Peter

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes, I agree also, the MCM is still well built and much better looking! IMO

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
quote:
MCM Electronics has the same enclosure that Adire uses for the Rava sub. It's part number 80-430, about $91. It's only 3/4" MDF, but it works quite well with the Shiva. Unlike the PE enclosures, it's got nice oak veneer on it - much higher SAF!
I own a Rava, and I really like the looks of it. Much better than the other under $500 woofers.
Peter
[/quote]
I own that box, and a shiva, and an ava250 (hey it was a LITTLE cheaper than a rava.. not much though) That box isn't bad, it has no internal bracing.. so if you're into that you might add some, I don't kno if it's needed or not, I haven't experienced any problems. The photos on MCM's site suck, so if interested email me and I'll take you some digital pics. I think the box is a bargain for 80 bucks or however much it is now, though shipping hurts :)
I'm impressed with the sound, though I don't have an SPL meter so I can't really comment on performance. I had an 18 to 27-ish Hz test disc I burned, and down low it WILL rattle every window in my little house though :)
[Edited last by Philip_G on November 12, 2001 at 11:02 PM]

Ryan T

Second Unit
That MCM box does look nice but believe it or not I actually like the look of the PE box better. The main reason I was thinking about buying a sub box was for the bracing so I don't think I will get the MCM. Also it's a little bit small I’m looking for one I the 3 cu. ft. range. The reason it needs to be so big is that I’m going to make it sealed instead of vented and I need the bigger box for when I watch movies and want to hit the 20 Hz and under With some power. Are there any other premade boxes that have internal bracing? Is the PE is the only option for buying a premade box or could you guys suggest any other way to get a sub box? By the way Peter when you said "Unlike the PE enclosures, it's got nice oak veneer on it - much higher SAF!" what is SAF? Thanks.
Ryan
[Edited last by Ryan T on November 13, 2001 at 10:40 PM]

Ryan T

Second Unit
Ah thanks Brian, since I’m 16 years old I should not have any trouble with that. One other question I have is, if I decide to use my make shift car sub box for awhile (until I can get money for a real sub box) would it be possible to use some long threaded rods for bracing? My idea is to drill a hold in each side of the box and put the rod through then tighten it down with washers and nuts. I guess the main idea would be using compression to reduce panel resonance. I know this would not be the most attractive thing but since it is only a temporary box I don’t care that much about looks as long as it performs well. So do you thing this would work?
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks