What's new

PCM playback (1 Viewer)

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I am looking at a DVD player from Sony which has two settings for audio output. One is 16 bit 48MHz and the other is 24-bit 96 MHz. This player does not have SACD playback. If the standard CD is recorded at 16/48 why does it offer the other selection? Where would it come into play. I have a Doors CD that said it was re-masterd at 24/96 but when I played it the processor indicated a 48Mhz playback.

Thanks bob

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
CD is 16/44.1 Cds that say they are 24 bit remastered are referring to the equipment used in the industry side before it was sent to 16/44.1.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Not for DVD-A playback, but for DAD playback. DVD-Video contains a stereo 96/24 PCM format as an option, and discs with this are usually called "DAD" Digital Audio Disc I think. They sound incredible BTW. The digital output from a DVD player at 96/24 is not in the original DVD spec, so if manufacturers include it as an option it's as a courtesy, and should be defeatable. That's what this is for, nothing to do with regular CDs..

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks All, Hmmm, "DAD" that is the first I ever heard of them.

thanks bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks