What's new

PC to TV Connection dilema (1 Viewer)

RichardCush

Auditioning
Riddle me this batman...

I have an old CPU I am trying to connect to a new television. The only "video out" connection the CPU currently has is VGA. The TV doesn't have a VGA input but, being new, has both component video as well as DVI.

Soooooooo - my options as I see them:

1) Go to Radio shack and buy a VGA to Component Video converter. They cost about $94 I think. Plug that in between the two pieces of equipment.

2) Buy a new video card for the CPU. One that has either a DVI out or a Component Video out.

Question to the guru's - Are these the only options I have? And, if so, which would be the best way to go? Enquiring minds want to know!!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Fundamentally those are your choices.

For the Radio Shack converter, you need to double check to be sure the output is or includes 480p or the highest scan rate the TV accepts (1080i/540p, 480p if possible).

FOr both alternatives you want to be able to audition the device before buying it. On average, auditioning a PC card is more difficult to arrange than auditioning an external box that connects between two devices.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
This one would be cheaper but does the motherboard/processor support latest cards? How old is the computer, specs?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say you could get a DVI video card cheaper than $94 and you would get a better picture because of less D/A conversions... you'll probably end up with a better video card too.

RichardCush

Auditioning
Thanks for the comments/advice.

I just finished reading the instructions for the TV (its a Sony LCD RPTV 42WE610) and found this comment about the Digital Visual Interface (DVI-HDTV): "Can accomodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devises (such as a digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers"

Hmmm - guess I'll go with the VGA-Component vide converter and hope for the best...now am curious whether this TV will play nice with what I am trying to do.

P.S. So far, have been VERY happy with this televions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Richard, I've got a Sony with a similar HDCP DVI input. I've read elsewhere that it's possible to connect it to a computer's DVI output, though I've not tried it. You might try asking this in the Computers & HTPC section.

RichardCush

Auditioning
Thanks Dave...Though I now realize another dilema - The TV only has one DVI input which I am planning to hog up with the Comcast HD Cablebox...so I think now my only option is for the PC to come in through video component...I say this ASSUMING that the best way to connect the cablebox is through DVI rather than connecting THAT though component video (and thus free-ing up the DVI input).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks