What's new

PC Game suggestions for a 7 year old (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Someone at work was asking me about PC games for her 7 year old, and I was shocked to realize that I had no idea what to recommend. Since I really have no mental picture of what 7 is like at this point, I can't really think of what level of game to recommend. Forgetting ratings and content for a minute, what about complexity and gameplay? What can a 7 year these days handle? Would something like Prince of Persia be too complicated? What about UT2004 (or any FPS for that matter)? I'd say something like Warcraft 3 would probably also be way too much for a kid that age to pick up, so really how much more is left? There's a bunch of PC software for really little kids, and a bunch of PC software for teenagers and adults, but what about this group in the middle? Is there nothing out there, or have I just never really noticed or paid attention?

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Rollercoaster Tycoon!

3D stuff might be a bit too much... But driving games would probably be great. The kid will be faster with his bike then, that's for sure. :)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend Zoo Tycoon Complete. It has a very easy interface to use and the game has really captured my kids imagination. It's not terribly difficult since the Zoo Keeper will tell you what each animal needs, but the fun is in the layout of the zoo and each exhibit. Zoo Tycoon 2 comes out this fall and is a huge graphical leap over the current version. My kids also play the Sims and Roller Coaster tycoon. Online, my kids love the neopets site.

Also, if you consider grade school learning games, my kids much preferred the Cluefinder games from Learning Company over the Jumpstart series.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
My six year old daughter plays Unreal Tournament. We started her off with the game speed cranked to 50 percent, and stupid bots; now she plays at full speed with whatever level of bots she feels like playing.

Capture the Flag is her favourite mode.

I tried to get her into UT2003, but she's a purist.

I'd love to get her going on Warcraft, but don't think she'd be quite there yet. Hard to say, really.

ReaganG

Agent
I think Sid Meier's Civilization 2 is one of the best games ever. If you were to sit with the 7 year old when they play, the game can be very educational(to answer any questions they might have.

It's not violent(cartoony battles) and it teaches how civilizations grew with each new technology that is developed. Plus, it's been out so long now, you could probably find it in a $5 bin somewhere.

I would suggest #2 because I haven't played Civilization 3 and because it's old enough to still be a pretty simple game overall. I hate sim games with too many options!

Also, if they are looking for some quick and easy games of all types, go to shockwave.com . All different kinds of games there for free.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Civ 2 and 4 are good, with not a lot of hardware requirements; 5 is great but a ton of high end hardware required to make it usable.

You might also consider games like Flyff; my kids loved that one.. Disney's ToonTown is another good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks