What's new

PATTON / SAND PEBBLES/ LONGEST DAY BD (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

The isolated score is on every release--all SDs and the Blu-ray. Only the truncated audio essay is of concern regarding bonus features on the Cinema Classics SD and the new Blu-ray.

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
Having viewed Patton last night on my home theatre,here are some of my comments.
From the opening ,the sharpness and resolution of the D-150 Lenses is demonstrated clearly.The close ups of Patton's pistols and his ring are superb on a big screen.The slight downside to all this,is that the disc reveals a few flaws in the make up such as his hair line, eyebrows etc. The arrival in Morocco looks great with different types of red tunic's on display. It now can be seen more clearly the different weather conditions, with sun going behind the clouds on certain shots with a slightly flat look.I feel the movie does look very film like, with almost no grain visible,and this is in part down to the dimension D-150 65mm process. The aspect ratio looks more like 2:20:1,which I would suggest, indicate's the transfer was from 65mm elements.*
The German subtitles are within the picture area(good news for CH projection).As an example of the detail now revealed,take a look at the end of the opening speech.The sweet pours of George C Scotts face just in front of his right ear.One of the most impressive set peaces is the 'Battle of Guettar' shot outside Almeria in southern Spain.(Over two thousand members of the Spanish army were used),and looks very impressive on a large screen.This movie looks good due to the fact that no rear projection shots are used(unlike "Battle of the Bulge"which as a movie I find poor in comparsion)and that 80% was shot on location.It's worth looking out for the German soldier that gets run over by the Tank.The man fell down accidentally,and was not a stunt man.He was a lucky man missing the treads by inch's.On the audio front I was only able to listen to the DTSMA core track which was clear,but I couldn't listen at the sufficient level, to give a more detail's.Originally released with 6 track stereo on it's 70mm release. I feel this Blu-Ray release is a real step up from the dvd and is one of the best release's in picture quality.

*further notes at :Letterbox Video - Page 1
viewed on Sony VW50 da-lite 2:35:1 screen Sony BDPS1 Sony str3200es

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
The BD of Patton was unfreakin' beautiful. I can't believe how nice it looked. Thinking of picking up Longest Day as a blind buy next week given some of the advanced word I have heard on the PQ.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I'm looking forward to picking up The Sand Pebbles when it is released here in England - I wish I could just import it though, damn Fox and they're region encoding.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny

Get a region free player. I did a couple of months ago and it works perfectly. No more website checking for me if a BD is region free or not :).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I would like to know too. I searched the site, but to no avail.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Based on its reviews, Patton looks like it meets expectations and then some. I was worried it would have some of the softness issues of other 65mm film transfers.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny

Out of the box nobody but a Pioneer, a Panasonic, 2 Sonys and a Samsung model can be modified to play Regions A and B for BD and Regions 1 and 2 for SD. This is a hardware modification similar to the one that was needed for the early DVD players. Firmware updates can still be done without any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks