What's new

Pat Summerall Hangs Up His Microphone (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Pat Summerall has broadcast his last game. One of the best broadcasters of the last 20 years. He will be missed.
The only sad part about this Super Bowl...unless you were pulling for the Rams of course.;)
Thanks for all the great calls over the years Mr. Summerall.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Pat Summerall was a great announcer and I will miss the Madden-Sumerall broadcast team. Pat has also faced a lot of adversity in his personal life and I'm glad that he overcame all of that to have the broadcast career that he did.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Pat Summerall has broadcast his last game. One of the best broadcasters of the last 20 years.
Make that 30 years. I have great memories of Summerall & his first partner, Tom Brookshire, calling many exciting Cowboys games during the Landry/Staubach glory years of the 70s (I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan, so sue me). He will be missed.

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
He'll be missed for sure. I think Fox felt it was time for him to leave and he didn't want to. Can't blame him though. Much like players finding it hard to quit, he loves the game. I had noticed this year that he was making more mistakes during the games. As I have said in another thread, I would hate to see him go downhill on air. Why spoil such a stellar career. I wish him the best. :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
He definately needed to go, he was struggling lately. Too bad cause he was awesome. Madden is not far off either IMHO. But in their prime they were one of the finest tandems in the biz and almost a sole reason to watch a game sometimes.

I remember in the 80's praying that they would cover the game I wanted to see so that it would be good coverage.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I agree with Seth that it was time for him to go. Nonetheless, I will miss him very much, as he was the voice of NFL football for me growing up.
Along with the great John Facenda that is. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I also agree that it was time for Summerall to retire. He's one of the greatest play-by-play announcers in history, but the past couple of years he's struggled on the air, making too many mistakes. Better to go out now than to embarrass himself in the future. He's been too good over the years to be remembered any other way.

I also miss his commentary on CBS's golf coverage.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So sad. So does anyone know for sure if he's retiring on his own or forced into it?? Awful shame to see one of the legends go. Any Idea who they would bring into the booth with him??

Great man, Pat, and I wish you luck!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On the radio last week Pat was interviewed by Tony Bruno, and he said that he's retiring on his own terms...but that Fox was going to break up the tandem anyway. So I guess that's not truly "on his own terms" but close enough.

He will be missed, but I do agree that now is a good time for him to ride off into the sunset...

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I was at Yankee Stadium when Pat beat the Browns with a field goal in a blinding snowstorm. It was officially listed as 49 yards, but nobody was sure it wasn't longer since the field was completely covered in snow. Anyway, he had a great career and I wish him well in his future endeavors. He said in a interview he'd like to do some golf and other sports, possibly back at CBS.
P.S. Brian, you are being talked about in another thread about Coffee makers. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks