What's new

Paridigm center speaker match-up problem (1 Viewer)

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Recently I've purchased a 50" Sony WEGA TV and the SUGW1 stand that goes with it. They certainly look nice together, but it leaves me with a problems regarding my speakers.

I have an older pair of floorstanding light wood-colored Paradigm 7semk3's. I've had them for ten years; still love 'em and they still sound great. Aesthetically they don't exactly match the TV/stand set-up, but the main problem lies with the shelf space on the Sony stand. There's simply no room to set anything taller than 5 1/2" or so on the upper shelf that would be the ideal space right below the TV for a center speaker. As far as I know, the only center speaker Paradigm makes that would fit is the Cinema CC series center, at 4 1/4" in height. However, that does not "match" the size or sound field of my floorstanding 7se's. Would that kind of discrepency matter that much in terms of sound field, or should I invest in the matching Cinema series speakers (or perhaps a pair of front Atoms or Titans) to go with that center?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Cinemas don't match up with anything else in the 'Digm lineup. The Performance and Monitor lines sort of sound similar, but are not a perfect match. The 7SEs don't really match anything in the current Monitor lineup either, due to the fabric tweeter used on that previous generation. I wouldn't let the shelf dictate the speaker.

Other options might be stand or wall mounted, or on top of the TV?

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
To a large degree (space, etc.), the shelf has to dictate the speaker. The larger Paradigm centers would be way too big to sit on top of the Wega; the only other possibility would be to sit it on the bottom shelf of the stand, where there's a bit more room, but would put it further south of the TV; not sure if that would be a big deal.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Oh man I just sold my cc200 center that I orginally bought with my 7semk3s. I think that that was no taller than your height requirements.
I would check Ebay for these. I have seen them on there from time to time.

ps. Don't you just love those 7se's? They should have never gone to the stupid titanium tweeter.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Thanks for going through the trouble of finding that link on eBay. The only problem: I already own the CC-200, which I purchased when I bought my 7se's, and unfortunately it is a tad too tall for that upper shelf. If I want to stick with Paradigm (which I'd like to), I would either have to stick that on the bottom shelf, or invest in the Cinema 90's, which I had demonstrated in a store in Atlanta. They sound incredible for such small speakers...even though they still can't touch the 7se's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks