What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Paramount Presents: To Catch A Thief (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not a big deal, it’s just I should’ve mentioned that this 1080p source was a Blu-ray. It could easily have been from YouTube since even they offer a 4k option now. But I still feel like the quality of 1080p streaming is kind of an interim level between DVD and Blu-ray. At least with a disc, the resolution stays the same throughout. This is true no matter if it’s 480i, 576p, 1080p, or 4k.

As for Saturday Night Fever, wouldn’t they already have a 4K master since they did that Fathom screening for the directors cut?

I would think so.

I have no doubt that SNF will be released on 4k soon. I just hope it is both versions as the Director's Cut was recently offered.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That director’s cut barely offered anything new. If you had never seen the film before, you would probably not notice anything was different. All I can remember that was new was Mr. Manero getting his job back. At least there’s a glimmer of hope for him, which is more than I can say for Bobby. He’s the most tragic figure in that movie.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not a big deal, it’s just I should’ve mentioned that this 1080p source was a Blu-ray. It could easily have been from YouTube since even they offer a 4k option now. But I still feel like the quality of 1080p streaming is kind of an interim level between DVD and Blu-ray. At least with a disc, the resolution stays the same throughout. This is true no matter if it’s 480i, 576p, 1080p, or 4k.
It depends on the streaming platform. I'm pretty sure iTunes isn't variable, as I've never noticed a drop in quality. I think if you don't have sufficient bandwidth, it just stops and buffers.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It depends on the streaming platform. I'm pretty sure iTunes isn't variable, as I've never noticed a drop in quality. I think if you don't have sufficient bandwidth, it just stops and buffers.
That used to be the case, but no longer. There are times when I’ve had internet bandwidth issues and the 4K iTunes stream drops all the way down to SD. I really do wish iTunes would add a preload option to Apple TV which would let you pre-load a 4K file so you can watch back with no quality drops or interruptions even if your internet goes down while you’re watching.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That used to be the case, but no longer. There are times when I’ve had internet bandwidth issues and the 4K iTunes stream drops all the way down to SD. I really do wish iTunes would add a preload option to Apple TV which would let you pre-load a 4K file so you can watch back with no quality drops or interruptions even if your internet goes down while you’re watching.

This is my concern, and this is why I prefer discs, even if it is only a Blu-ray since it's still miles ahead of a DVD.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If it is from a new 4K scan, I wonder if they've managed to improve the aliasing problem on Cary Grant's Breton top.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it is from a new 4K scan, I wonder if they've managed to improve the aliasing problem on Cary Grant's Breton top.
I just watched the iTunes HD digital and that top looks fine to my old eyes compared to previous viewings of the movie. I have the BD on my desk and I thought it looked better on that disc too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the HD Digital on iTunes this morning. I need to compare the Blu-ray to the digital as the latter looks better than what I remembered of the BD. Perhaps, my mind/memory is playing tricks on me. Also, I'm hoping iTunes upgrades it to 4K.
Yes, my memory was faulty again as the HD digital currently on iTunes is derived from the same transfer used for the 2012 Blu-ray. I compared the two for about 20-25 minutes this afternoon and both had the same blemishes. Hopefully, iTunes will upgrade their digital on or about April 21st.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I would definitely like Paramount to get off its lump and start by launching into some of their classics long overdue for a hi-def release beginning with the following titles.

Roman Holiday, The Greatest Show on Earth, Ordinary People, The Elephant Man, The Carpetbagger, Lucy Gallant, Elephant Walk, (a remastered) Funny Face, Houseboat, Half a Sixpence, The Pleasure of His Company, Becket, The Sons of Katie Elder, The High and the Mighty, Murder on the Orient Express, Heaven Can Wait, Mommie Dearest - just for starters.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would definitely like Paramount to get off its lump and start by launching into some of their classics long overdue for a hi-def release beginning with the following titles.

Roman Holiday, The Greatest Show on Earth, Ordinary People, The Elephant Man, The Carpetbagger, Lucy Gallant, Elephant Walk, (a remastered) Funny Face, Houseboat, Half a Sixpence, The Pleasure of His Company, Becket, The Sons of Katie Elder, The High and the Mighty, Murder on the Orient Express, Heaven Can Wait, Mommie Dearest - just for starters.
Luckily, I have most of them in my HD digital library.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The current Chinatown, Hatari and Funny Face blu rays all have bad reputations from people whose opinion I respect so I haven't invested in them. I'm hoping this new Paramount line will rectify that with new masters.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The current Chinatown, Hatari and Funny Face blu rays all have bad reputations from people whose opinion I respect so I haven't invested in them. I'm hoping this new Paramount line will rectify that with new masters.
Chinatown in 4K/Dolby Vision looks beautiful to me on my 65" OLED.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The original TO CATCH A THIEF on blu ray was absolutely spectacular. Almost nothing comes close. What is this new release?
It was generally excellent, though it was from a slightly older master that was intended for the DVD release, so there were occasional issues; for example, the severe aliasing on Cary Grant's striped pullover in the first scene, which is also present on the DVD. Also, there is some weird shimmering during the scene in the restaurant, where the sous chefs throw eggs at the window (in what may have been a tribute to Bunuel, who does the same thing in "Los Olvidados"). Beyond that, it's pretty spectacular, revealing why Robert Burks received an Oscar that year for cinematography. Nonetheless, I don't mind buying another Blu-Ray of one of my favorite films, if those issues are taken care of, so I'll wait on the reviews.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was generally excellent, though it was from a slightly older master that was intended for the DVD release, so there were occasional issues; for example, the severe aliasing on Cary Grant's striped pullover in the first scene, which is also present on the DVD. Also, there is some weird shimmering during the scene in the restaurant, where the sous chefs throw eggs at the window (in what may have been a tribute to Bunuel, who does the same thing in "Los Olvidados"). Beyond that, it's pretty spectacular, revealing why Robert Burks received an Oscar that year for cinematography. Nonetheless, I don't mind buying another Blu-Ray of one of my favorite films, if those issues are taken care of, so I'll wait on the reviews.
IMO, the shimmering was much worse on the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks