What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Paramount Presents: To Catch A Thief (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Cheap/flimsy packaging and a weak transfer that's cropped and misframed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope it’s not a misfire! And just an unsubstantiated rumor. To Catch A Thief looked great on the last blu ray, ignoring Cary Grant’s shirt issue. So it has to look better on this new disc.

Amazon shows it as temporarily out of stock. I didn’t press the buy button yet as I figured the Covid situation would slow down the ship time.

I wish Ron Smith was back too.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cheap/flimsy packaging and a weak transfer that's cropped and misframed.
What's your source as I find it hard to believe considering the previous Blu-ray release was outstanding? Today, I took another look at the HD digital on iTunes and it still looked impressive to me.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Cite a source and link us to it because I have not been able to find a single word about this release. And what do you mean "mis-framed." Time for you to respond.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
The elevated brightness of this transfer is striking and not in a good way. Especially when you go back to the older disc, which looks so well composed, this one looks like one of those Kino releases where the gamma is set a notch too high. The cropping is slight and may not bother some, but again, the whole image has been slightly zoomed in. It is cropped on all 4 sides -- just spot-checked several scenes in the first half hour, and the framing is definitely zoomed in slightly on every corner compared to the older disc.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
T
The elevated brightness of this transfer is striking and not in a good way. Especially when you go back to the older disc, which looks so well composed, this one looks like one of those Kino releases where the gamma is set a notch too high. The cropping is slight and may not bother some, but again, the whole image has been slightly zoomed in. It is cropped on all 4 sides -- just spot-checked several scenes in the first half hour, and the framing is definitely zoomed in slightly on every corner compared to the older disc.
hmm. I hope we get reviews soon. Also I would like paramount to explain their home video plan overall. Especially why these reissues are not on the 4k UHd platform.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It should be interesting to read what others have to say about this release. I didn't plan on buying this re-issue because I'm happy with the prior Blu-ray and had hoped my HD digital on iTunes would upgrade to 4K which so far, doesn't appear to be happening. Anyhow, I can't wait to read other impressions of this Blu-ray release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It should be interesting to read what others have to say about this release. I didn't plan on buying this re-issue because I'm happy with the prior Blu-ray and had hoped my HD digital on iTunes would upgrade to 4K which so far, doesn't appear to be happening. Anyhow, I can't wait to read other impressions of this Blu-ray release.

agreed. I cancelled my preorder. I’m interested in a 4k release. Paramount needs to be better at communicating plans to consumers too.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I think Paramount is using this 'series' for a two-fold purpose: first, to homogenize a 'label' for some of their outstanding achievements throughout the decades, but also, second, to start and trickle out catalog that hasn't come down the pike before. We've already announcements for King Creole and Pretty in Pink - two catalog releases I know fans have been screaming for. It's odd that they went the route of having Criterion distribute War of the Worlds, as I would have thought this a prime candidate for their 'Paramount Presents' line-up. Also, I already ordered the Australian ViaVision import of 'War' as I prefer their packaging to Criterion's - same extras. ViaVision will also be giving us region free releases of Waterloo, The Duelists, I Married A Monster from Outer Space, and, Sorry Wrong Number. Virtually none of these are on the horizon for a U.S. release so far. And actually, at $150 for the bundle, these are a steal with original packaging and good solid extras.

I think Paramount could up their ante here by also releasing a lot of deep catalog still MIA or in need of newer upgrades to their current transfers. Titles include Witness, Funny Face, Roman Holiday, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Elephant Man, The Great Gatsby (1974), The Carpetbaggers, Ordinary People, Mommie Dearest, Murder on the Orient Express (1974), Young Sherlock Holmes, Darling Lili, Play It Again Sam, Lady Sings the Blues, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, The World of Suzie Wong, Blue Hawaii, The Pleasure of His Company, Becket, Circus World, In Harm's Way, Barefoot In the Park, Romeo and Juliet, Paint Your Wagon, A Place in the Sun, The Seven Little Foys, Artists and Models, The Tin Star, St. Louis Blues, The Buccaneer, That Kind of Woman.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas

I'm looking forward to what others think as well. But this release sucks as far as I'm concerned. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I think Paramount is using this 'series' for a two-fold purpose: first, to homogenize a 'label' for some of their outstanding achievements throughout the decades, but also, second, to start and trickle out catalog that hasn't come down the pike before. We've already announcements for King Creole and Pretty in Pink - two catalog releases I know fans have been screaming for. It's odd that they went the route of having Criterion distribute War of the Worlds, as I would have thought this a prime candidate for their 'Paramount Presents' line-up. Also, I already ordered the Australian ViaVision import of 'War' as I prefer their packaging to Criterion's - same extras. ViaVision will also be giving us region free releases of Waterloo, The Duelists, I Married A Monster from Outer Space, and, Sorry Wrong Number. Virtually none of these are on the horizon for a U.S. release so far. And actually, at $150 for the bundle, these are a steal with original packaging and good solid extras.

I think Paramount could up their ante here by also releasing a lot of deep catalog still MIA or in need of newer upgrades to their current transfers. Titles include Witness, Funny Face, Roman Holiday, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Elephant Man, The Great Gatsby (1974), The Carpetbaggers, Ordinary People, Mommie Dearest, Murder on the Orient Express (1974), Young Sherlock Holmes, Darling Lili, Play It Again Sam, Lady Sings the Blues, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, The World of Suzie Wong, Blue Hawaii, The Pleasure of His Company, Becket, Circus World, In Harm's Way, Barefoot In the Park, Romeo and Juliet, Paint Your Wagon, A Place in the Sun, The Seven Little Foys, Artists and Models, The Tin Star, St. Louis Blues, The Buccaneer, That Kind of Woman.

While I agree with you that Paramount has a lot to release, I think they first of all need to do a good job with their transfers (which seems to be in question at least with To Catch A Thief) before they start diggin into catalog titles that may not get a second chance. Also, you listed The Seven Little Foys, but unless I'm wrong, I thought that one was owned by Fremantle Media (at least, it seems to have been included on DVD alongside releases like The Lemon Drop Kid, Son Of Paleface, etc.), so I can't really see that coming from Paramount.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope Mr. Harris gets a look at this new To Catch A Thief disc. I’ll be buying it regardless. It’s a triple whammy of goodness!

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Blu ray review with screenshots-

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Blu ray review with screenshots-

So thus far, not a significant improvement over the prior release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Excuse my post but I don’t know who movieman is and what credentials the site has to review blu rays. It read like someone whose a movie fan comparing the old and new disc, so it seems like it’s his opinion. Which is fine. It’s a datapoint. If the new blu ray is brighter or the framing is different, I ask myself is that because it was wrong before on the earlier releases, or is this a mistake. We just don’t know for sure.

Amazon shows the title available on May 2 now. So I’m really looking forward to seeing it myself to judge. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks