What's new

Paramount Pre-1950 Films owned by Universal (1 Viewer)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'm still waiting for the Dorothy Lamour Technicolor "sarong" movies: HER JUNGLE LOVE, ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS, TYPHOON, BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON (1938-42), as well as the first film in the series (but shot in black-and-white), THE JUNGLE PRINCESS. I've never known these to even be on TV in my lifetime. And the one Maria Montez-Jon Hall film I've never seen, THE WHITE SAVAGE (1943), also in Technicolor.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I see they have a combined deal with Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra and a few other films with the set. I wonder how they look?

reneerose

Auditioning
Real Name
Irene
Vic Pardo said:
I'm still waiting for the Dorothy Lamour Technicolor "sarong" movies: HER JUNGLE LOVE, ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS, TYPHOON, BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON (1938-42), as well as the first film in the series (but shot in black-and-white), THE JUNGLE PRINCESS. I've never know these to even be on TV in my lifetime. And the one Maria Montez-Jon Hall film I've never seen, THE WHITE SAVAGE (1943), also in Technicolor.
Saw a private copy of Her Jungle Love and it would be cool to see it remastered, a Lamour boxset!

Seanhtf

Grip
Real Name
Sean O'Malley
The reason that the cut-off was '48, by the way, was because after that year, television distributors had to pay a portion of the profits towards SAG royalties.
Don't take the term "pre-48" too literally. Universal owns quite a few Paramounts released in 1948 and 1949.

1948: "Albuquerque," "Beyond Glory," "Big Clock, The," "Dream Girl," "Emperor Waltz, The," "Foreign Affair, A," "Hatter's Castle," "Hazard," "Isn't It Romantic?" "Miss Tatlock's Millions," "Night Has a Thousand Eyes," "Paleface, The," "Saigon," "Sainted Sisters, The," "Sealed Verdict," "So Evil My Love," and "Whispering Smith."

1949: "Accused, The," "Alias Nick Beal," "Chicago Deadline," "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, A," "Great Gatsby, The," "Heiress, The," "My Own True Love," "Song of Surrender," "Sorrowful Jones," and "Streets of Laredo."

Sean

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
KellyVO said:
Quote:Originally Posted by MattH. Hopefully the Deanna Durbin movies we haven't already gotten. That would be wonderful.
More Deanna Durbin would be most welcomed! Over the last year I have been seeing more of her movies and they are addicting! I wouldn't even mind another Sweetheart collection!100 Men and a Girl, His Butler's Sister... to name a couple...

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Does anyone have a list of the movies with sound that Paramount retained under this deal?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Does anyone have a list of the movies with sound that Paramount retained under this deal?

I do know that one film Paramount definitely held onto was Preston Sturges's The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. That's the only one that comes readily to mind. In one of the threads over at blu-ray.com someone had posted such a list. I'd have to go hunting for it.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Does anyone know whatever happened to Brian Camp (Vic Pardo)? I see he hasn't posted on HTF since February 22, 2019!
He's still active on Facebook if it's the same, NYC-based Brian Camp we're talking about.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Found the listing (by a user under the handle bruceames). These are the Paramount titles (1929-1949) that they did not sell to Universal. Some of these are no longer owned by Paramount for various reasons: some have fallen into the Public Domain for one reason or another, some are non-US titles that Paramount distributed to the US market. The list is hidden by a spoiler tag to reduce the size of the post.

I should have remembered some of these (like Samson and Delilah or Sorry, Wrong Number).

1929 The Dance of Life
1929 Glorifying the American Girl
1929 The Letter
1929 Welcome Danger
1930 The Blue Angel
1930 Feet First
1930 With Byrd At the South Pole
1931 Fighting Caravans
1931 The Smiling Lieutenant
1931 Tabu: A Story of the South Seas
1932 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
1932 A Farewell to Arms
1932 Make Me a Star
1933 His Double Life
1933 M
1933 One Sunday Afternoon
1933 The Story of Temple Drake
1933 To the Last Man
1935 Hop-a-Long Cassidy
1935 The Rocky Mountain Mystery
1935 Scrooge
1936 The Milky Way
1936 Murder With Pictures
1937 Bulldog Drummond Comes Back
1937 Bulldog Drummond Escapes
1937 Bulldog Drummond's Revenge
1937 Swing High, Swing Low
1938 The Beachcomber
1938 Born to the West
1938 The Buccaneer
1938 Bulldog Drummond in Africa
1938 Bulldog Drummond's Peril
1938 Sidewalks of London
1939 Arrest Bulldog Drummond
1939 Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police
1939 The Gracie Allen Murder Case
1939 Gulliver's Travels
1939 Honeymoon in Bali
1939 Jamaica Inn
1941 Mr. Bug Goes to Town
1942 The Avengers
1943 Aerial Gunner
1943 Submarine Alert
1944 The Memphis Belle
1944 The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
1944 One Body Too Many
1945 Midnight Manhunt
1945 The Stork Club
1946 The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
1946 Swamp Fire
1947 Fear in the Night
1947 The Perils of Pauline
1947 Road to Rio
1948 I Walk Alone
1948 Sorry, Wrong Number
1949 Dear Wife
1949 The Great Lover
1949 Manhandled
1949 My Friend Irma
1949 Red, Hot and Blue
1949 Rope of Sand
1949 Samson and Delilah
1949 Top O' the Morning

moviepas

Supporting Actor
An interesting list. The European titles were distributed by Paramount at time. There was a company they had with ufa called Parufamet See the German Cinema Book on Google Books page 290. I think, for an article. With von Sternberg, I would think this is how they got Marlene Dietrich.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
DeMille (NORTHWEST MOUNTED POLICE, THE STORY OF DR, WASSELL, THIS DAY AND AGE), Gary Cooper (SOULS AT SEA, THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP, DESIRE), RUGGLES OF RED GAP, ARISE, MY LOVE, HOLD BACK THE DAWN, REMEMBER THE NIGHT, THE GREAT MAN'S LADY, MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH, IF I HAD A MILLION, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, MILLION DOLLAR LEGS, THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK, ANGEL, A FOREIGN AFFAIR, DESIRE, THE ACCUSED, MAN ABOUT TOWN, THE BIG BROADCASTs, ARTISTS AND MODELS (and ABROAD), THANKS FOR THE MEMORY, THE FLEET'S IN, CROSS MY HEART, DREAM GIRL, RED, HOT, AND BLUE, INCENDIARY BLONDE, THE REMARKABLE ANDREW, BLAZE AT NOON, TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST, THE GLASS KEY, THE BLUE DAHLIA, OUR HEARTS WERE YOUNG AND GAY (and GROWING UP), DEAR RUTH, DIXIE, WELCOME STRANGER, NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, ARE HUSBANDS NECESSARY?, LET'S FACE IT, AND THE ANGELS SING, PRIVATE WORLDS, CALCUTTA, SAIGON, AND NOW TOMORROW, CHINA, THE GILDED LILY, TONIGHT IS OURS, HERE IS MY HEART, THE LIGHT THAT FAILED, THE WELL-GROOMED BRIDE, BAHAMA PASSAGE, THANKS FOR THE MEMORY, VIRGINIA, MISS TATLOCK'S MILLIONS, DISHONORED, THE VIRGINIAN, INTERNS CAN'T TAKE MONEY, THE PERFECT MARRIAGE, UNTAMED, MINISTRY OF FEAR, SO EVIL, MY LOVE, ALIAS NICK BEAL, SING YOU SINNERS, TILLY AND GUS, MISSISSIPPI, THE GRACIE ALLEN MURDER CASE, CHINA, SPAWN OF THE NORTH, BROKEN LULLABY, THE BIG POND, A BEDTIME STORY, THIS IS THE NIGHT, BELLE OF THE NINETIES, CHICAGO DEADLINE, ROPE OF SAND, DESERT FURY, VARIETY GIRL, SHE LOVES ME NOT, HAPPY GO LUCKY, SEALED VERDICT, REACHING FOR THE SUN.....Now here's the rub: suppose that the only way that these or any of the Universal classic films would ever see the light of day in any venue/context, would be if Universal started a website comparable to the Warner Archive website.....would you as a consumer accept/patronize it?
I will add Pursuit Of Happiness(1934), The Parson Of Panamint(1941) and A Medal For Benny (1945) to that long list.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The print that TCM uses for " Remember the Night (1940)" about An assistant D.A. who takes a shoplifter home with him for Christmas.
is terrible. It has the old MCA TV logo without the Paramount logo. It really looks like an old 16 MM local TV print. TCM is showing it again in December. I hope they get a better print and that the other pre 48 Paramount films are in much better shape.
I remember that old MCA logo from years ago. When I saw some of those Paramount titles on TV the MCA logo with the triangle and doors that opened came on followed by the Paramount logo. I am not sure why the Paramount logo was missing on "Remember The Night" when it was shown on TCM.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I am pretty sure this film stayed with Paramount; the pictures that MCA (Universal) bought were the pre-1948 films. This came out the same year as Sorry Wrong Number (1948) which Paramount owns. Also as a Hal Wallis Production, his films stayed with Paramount such as The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers (1946).
There are a few 1948 and 1949 titles owned by Universal such as Miss Tatlock's Millions(1948), Beyond Glory(1948), The Emperor Waltz(1948) and A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court(1949).

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
That is disturbing. I don't know how TCM receives films that it licenses. What we see on TV is a film transferred to tape. If the films were destroyed surely the tapes survived. Unless its like syndicated TV shows which are transferred by satellite onto a hard drive. Local TV stations are required to erase the shows after they air.
On a postive note here are some of Paramount films controlled by Universal on TCM in January.
The Egg and I
Blue Skies
It's a Gift
Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
If I had A Million
All My Sons
Five Graves to Cairo
The Scarlett Empress
The Major and The Minor
The Heiress
To Each His Own
Foreign Affair
The Roads to Singapore, Zanibar, Morocco, and Utopia
Ma and Pa Kettle
There are probably others that I missed.
Ma & Pa Kettle, The Egg & I, Never Give A Sucker An Even Break and All My Sons are Universal titles, not Paramount.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I'd love to know the process how and why some films were retained. Fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks