What's new

Parametric EQ (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So the old version is ok for subwoofer use? How much better would the 24 bit BFD be anyways? I guess its more expensive too.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Hey guys,
The BFD, is certainly a steal, but if you want even more flexibility in tuning, along with full crossover, shelfing and delay capbility, you might want to check out QSC's DSP-30. The 30 is the rack mount version with 2 XLR/TRS in and out. Cool thing here is all control is done via software, and 8 settings can be stored and recalled. This also allows separate delays to be entered for those running mulitple subs in different locations when you may only have one LFE output. I have been playing with it for even full range use and have been quite impressed. It's not as great as our BSS OmniDrive CompactPlus, but I bet you can find one for $350 where the BSS is thousands more. What is also a nice difference is the ability to use it's processing power as you like, even all on one channel if you like. Download the software and see what it can do.
Check www.qscaudio.com

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I only have one subwoofer and not lots of extra cash so the BFD DSP1100P model or the DSP1124P would do well enough for me.

If I was able to make a crossover that took my speaker level outputs and give me a line-level for the subwoofer, would that work ok? My receiver has a 100 hz crossover and ultimately I'd like to use something more like 60 to 80 hz. I have no external amp and no main loop, so I was thinking about experimenting with a high-level crossover, like the ones that some subwoofers used to have. I'd set my fronts to LARGE and run the speaker wire into the crossover first and then to the BFD. Would that work ok?

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisPC - How are you going to convert speaker level to line level? I guess you could use the Paradigm x-10 but that is putting a lot in the signal path.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I may abandon that idea of converting the speaker level to line level because its not looking pretty. I would want to strip the low off to send to the sub and send the high to the speakers. From what I understand, this is not a pretty way to go. I'm just cheap and trying to avoid having to buy external amplification. Darn it! All I need is a receiver with a MAIN-LOOP and I could do so much! EQ, crossover. I could have a little party going on in the front main channels and still send them back into my receiver for amplification :) But no, my receiver has no main loop. I am looking for another receiver and apart from better bass management, I really hope to find one with a MAIN-LOOP :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It will take more than a receiver with a pre-out/main-in loop, Chris. You will also need an external electronic crossover to, as you put it, send to highs to the main speakers and lows to the sub.

The equalizer would go in front of the crossover; that’s the only way you will be able to EQ both mains and sub(s) with a two-channel equalizer.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BruceD

Screenwriter
Chris,

I'm currently using exactly what you are describing, because my processor doesn't provide an adjustable xover;

I use a Marchand XM9-L electronic xover on the low-level L&R outputs (RCA-to-RCA) from my preamp, just before my 5-channel amp inputs, to custom set the xover frequency(@60Hz) between mains and sub (Dynaudio Contour towers and M&K MX-700 sub), and only use the BFD on the low-level outputs from the Marchand xover to my M&K powered sub to kill the room peaks.

Works very well and because the Marchand has a very low noise floor, it doesn't impact the quality of the source signal coming from my main speakers, at least to my ears.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cool. Thats a good approach. I am always trying to maximize my stuff. Depending on what I replace my Marantz SR6200 receiver with in the future, I may apply different bass management and an external xover might be part of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks