Parametric EQ

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darrin_R, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

Can someone recommend a parametric equalizer for my subs. I have a couple of nasty peeks that i need to tame.

2. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

3. Darrin_R

Sorry, I should have done a search first.

Can this be purchased locally? I live in St. Louis and I called around but no one seems to have it.

4. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Mars Music carries it for $129. You can also order it online from Mars for the same price plus shipping. I picked one up Sunday and I am still getting the hang of it. Very powerful, but inexpensive piece of equipment.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Go to a local pro audio store or guitar store. I purchased mine at guitar center for a great price. Even less than on line + shipping.

6. Darrin_R

Thanks everyone. I just found it at the Guitar Center for $129.00.

7. Darrin_R

WOW! What a difference $130 can make. The FBD eliminated the peek at 40hz and the bass is much tighter.

But the problem that I am having now is the test CD that I am using plays 20hz, 40hz, 80hz........ When I use the sweep on S&V HTT I realized that I have another peek somewhere between 55hz and 75hz but the DVD doesnt display the frequency.

Can anyone recommend a good bass track CD or DVD that sweeps and displays the frequency. B&M if possible.

8. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

9. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Was I just imagining it? Or did I once hear something about the BFD having a 20 Hz brick wall filter? Or was it just that it couldn't EQ below that? Because if it had a 20 Hz brickwall then that would be really lame.

10. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

From what I understand the 'centering frequency' cannot be set lower than 20Hz, but the 'bandwidth' efects do extend below that.

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Yep, you are correct, Rick.

DJ

12. Darrin_R

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Stryke Basszone CD.

13. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Is this the PRO and wasn't the BFD discontinued? Or can I still find this thing? I am in Canada. Do I just insert the BFD inline between my receiver and my subwoofer?
    How many EQ points can you adjust?
    Thanks for any helpful info [​IMG]

14. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

The BFD has just been upgraded, from the DSP1100P model to the DSP1124P model. Incidentally, I called Behringer Canada about 2 weeks ago and they said they hadn't received any of the new units yet (then). I suppose the US dealers will ship to Canada, though (?).

The BFD can equalize 24 points per channel, and it will go between your rcvr and sub.

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. So there's a new model. I checked it out. Any idea whats different? Its not readily obvious but I can compare the specs I guess [​IMG] I'm cure the regular one is enough for me [​IMG]
    I guess to obtain a fuller and more complete EQ it would be useful to insert the BFD between the receiver and a crossover? For instance, if I mearly insert the BFD between my receiver and my subwoofer, I am only EQ'ing the subwoofer. If my crossover is 40 or 60 hz, that might not do everything, since I have less control over frequencies above the crossover as tey are being reproduced by the front speakers without EQ'ing. If I set the receivers front speakers to LARGE and connect the front pre-outs to the BFD and then into a crossover, I would then have complete control over the base frequencies? Correct?
    I understand that just EQ'ing the subwoofer would actually obtain results that are somewhat effective, but isn't the above method which I describe above the ideal way to go?
    thanks for the info [​IMG]

16. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

The older model used 20-bit D/A and A/D conversion. The newer model uses 24-bit. I'm not sure that much else is different.

While the BFD is generally considered to be fine when used with bass frequencies, people who have tried to use it with their full range speakers have reported less-than-satisfying results. Apparently the A to D to A conversion takes its toll sonicly. So while your idea to use the BFD ahead of your crossover may be good in theory, in practice it might only make sense to do so if you were to use a higher quality equalizer.

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

18. Kudret

Kudret Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I just bought a BFD 1124P yesterday in Montreal. If you need more info send me a PM.

19. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. So use the earlier version with the subwoofer alone [​IMG]
    Kudret,
    Let us know how you like the newer version [​IMG]

20. Darrin_R

That is correct. It is 12 filters per channel but that is more than enough.

I was able to spend some time adjusting the settings last night. I havent received the basszone cd yet so i am sure i will do it all over again. But so far this thing is great. I am only using it for trim so i am not taxing the amps in any way. After all of the cuts were made I calibrated the subs again and had to increase the gain on both amps. (I had a nasty hump at 40hz that caused some ringing) Well, the results were great. Everything is VERY FAST AND TIGHT. This is such a cheap upgrade that I should have done it long ago.