What's new

Paradigm vx. b&w--help (1 Viewer)

Kathy C.

Agent
I'm new to this and trying to build a decent HT on a tight budget, by trying to pick up some used gear. So far I have a "mint" Paradigm pdr-10 sub, and have on way 2 Paradigm mini's(v.2). My plan was to find 2 more minis, and the cc370 or 350. Now, I'm wondering if I would do better with some B&W 303's, but am not sure how the b&w lcr-3 center compares to the para cc370.

Some people really complain about difficulty placing the minis for the best sound. My room is tight, and I may have a problem placing the rears. Do the b&W's have this same issue, with rear ports {?} ?

I can still use the Paradigm sub, so that's no problem, and can probably sell the mini's if I need to. We listen- movies/music about 60/40. My room is about 17x15. Please help!!

[also can use some advice on best 400-500$ receiver for this set up]

thanks in advance-Kathy

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
If you could stretch you budget just a little bit, you should look at the B&W DM600's or B&W DM601's.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kathy C.

Agent
I'd have to find them used. what rear's and center would fit with the 600s/601s? This confuses me more!

DonJ

Second Unit
Kathy stick to the minis i use them for my rears and was real shock when i listened to them a stereo speakers and was amazed how good they sound. they have gotten excellent reviews and are consider a great value. same with the cc370 i love mine. what are you going to be powering them with? i would stick with good recievers. mine is hook up to an H/K 320 very sweet also H/K has a new line up which sould sound very good with our speakers check out WWW.6ave.com and look at the new avr125 dont be fooled by the power ratings h/k is very conservitive in this and dont belive when you see a 200.00-400.00 reciever that says it has 100w/channel cause it is'nt true. good luck

Kathy C.

Agent
thanks for your input--I'm thinking the same about the minis. We really liked them over the 303's , but didn't get a good audition for HT with the 303's. we really liked the minis.
I was hoping to get a receiver over the internet, or through ebay, but now I"m getting cold feet. I've read so many reviews and discussions that my brain's 'bout to splode!
I'm looking for a good deal on Denon-2802 or 3802, HK 320, maybe Marantz 5200. I've read good stuff about the Kenwood 6070, but the sales people really down talk their quality compared to the others. Maybe true, but Im not an audiophile, just want really good for the least amount of money!!---and something that won't be outdated in a year.

Kathy

DonJ

Second Unit
even if you spend 2000.00 its going to be out dated in the reciever market. i have heard good things about 6ave.com and the H/K is a grat reciever for the paradigms. i love my 320 when people come over the WOWED by my sound. but wanting the best sound for the money makes you an audiophile. you want quality sound so you have study!!!
here's my system
monitor 9 v2
cc370 v2
mini monitor v2
ps1000 sub upgrading to pw2200 now
and i love it. just go with what your ear tells you also look at
crutchfield they will give an idea whats out on the market and retail cost. I lucked out got my 320 for 485.00 at circuit city it was a display and never used open box :D so just look for the deal and it will be there.

Lee Daza

Agent
From those I've listened too, the B&W and Paradigm loudspeakers seem to have distinctly different sound. If you are already using Paradigm, I can only imagine that sticking with them will create a more cohesive 3D sound field, for home theater at least.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Kathy, all this is *very* subjective, and individual tastes have *everything* to do with speaker choice. I haven't heard the Paradigm Mini's, so I can't offer an opinion there, but I have heard the 303's pushed by a Rotel amp in a dealer showroom, and was really impressed. Do you have a Paradigm/B&W dealer locally that you can demo these speakers at?
The B&W 303's in the For-Sale forum you are looking at really are nice for the $$. If I were in your shoes, I would keep the sub, sell the Mini's, get the 4 303's and wait until a used LCR3 became available (the HTF, Audiogon and eBay are good places to watch for them). From experience, Marantz and B&W (again, my opinion) are a match made in heaven. You may even find a Marantz refurbed SR-5200 or SR-6200 on the Accessories4less website for a nice $$ savings. The sub you have should be just fine. :)
Good luck with your choices, I hope I didn't add to the distortion!
Pete

Kathy C.

Agent
well, I won a paradigm center speaker last night on ebay, so looks like I'm getting deeper into Paradigm. That's ok. I guess I couldn't resist the good pricing on the B&W's. I only need 2 more mini's for rears and a final decision on my receiver. I hope I'm happy with these speakers off ebay. I really can't afford to be disappointed!

What about speaker stands--is it true the paradigms only fit on paradigm stands? Any other brands that will accomodate them?

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Kathy,

Congratulations on your paradigms! Paradigms are terrific speakers for the money as are the B&W's. I think you would have been very satisfied with either choice. Just enjoy your Mini Monitors and have peace of mind in knowing that you purchased a highly regarded speaker.

I use a Sony 777ES reciever with my Paradigm studio 60's. I will admit that although the clarity is superb Sony and Paradigm seem just a little on the bright side. I would second the recommendations for the marantz, Denon or H/K recievers. You would be very happy with any one of those choices IMO.

Let us know which reciever you decide on.

Good luck,

Greg

Kathy C.

Agent
What about Onkyo and Paradigms, would that be bright, too? Am I wrong to consider Kenwood, or maybe the Pioneer Elite 41? Those two (especially Kenwood) are in a good price range for me.

Thanks for all this input.

DonJ

Second Unit
the elite 41 sounds like the vsx 811 and you will be disapointed IMO. you have quality speakers you need to get a reciever that will bring the quality sound you are looking for. as a paradigm owner i suggest NAD or H/K they will both give you the sound your looking for. they both have a warmer than neutrel sound and make the paradigms sing. i have a friend with the Nad and the same paradigms as i and it is more musical than the H/K.

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
try and give the 1802 a listen im very happy with it hooked up to mini mains micro rears cc370 center,pdr10 and i got a good deal on my 1802.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As said above, the mini monitors are highly regarded speakers. If there ever was a purchase you shouldn't second guess, it's this one. Paradigm is probably the most popular brand in the HT community, that should tell you something.

--
Holadem

Kathy C.

Agent
I'm feeling great about my Paradigms!!!

I listened to a Denon 1802 compared to the pioneer 811 and elite 41. I actually liked the pioneers better. Didn't hear it on Paradigms, though.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Kathy,

Try and demo every reciever you can in your price range connected to the mini monitors. We can recommend different reciever/speaker combos all day long but in the end you will still purchase that which sounds best to you. Many great recievers have been mentioned here to help you get started.

Pioneer elite recievers are also highly regarded, and are known for having a warm sound.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks