What's new

Paradigm vs. Polk (1 Viewer)

Jay Drummer

Auditioning
I have RTi8, RTi4, FXi3, CSi5 and PSW505 from polk. I am thinking of getting some Paradigm 11seMK3's, 7seMK3's a CC300 center with an HSU VTF3 sub. I have to find a couple surround backs to complete the paradigm system, but its a great deal (800 for all the paradigm used, new HSU at retail). What is a better speaker in YOUR opinion?

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I really like both. However, just did some rather extensive listening to the Polk Rti6's and compared them to the Paradigm Mini Monitor v.4's and I preferred the Rti6's. The Rti6's were more open and although it did not have the low end as the mini had it was much more controlled and articulate sounding to me. Hence, the mini's were no doubt a little on the boomy side and seemed kinda flat sounding if you will. The Rti6's were much more engaging and perhaps a little bit on the bright side. IMHO, I think you have one heck of a nice set-up and would spend my money on better electronice, cables, and etc. The Hsu sub would definately make a bigger impact on your set-up. Good luck in your decision.

Jay Drummer

Auditioning
Hmmmm its sounds like Polk is popular here... i must admit, they sound good, maybe ill give em a chance with a new Denon reciever...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, I prefer Paradigm, but I don't think the speakers in question would be a step up from what you have already with the exception of the sub. Those particular 'digms are fairly old, at least 5-6yrs, and if I am not mistaken, they use soft dome tweeters. I haven't heard those in a LONG time, but I remember them sounding good. The 11s might be an improvement over the 8s, but probably mainly only in the bass department - which won't really make as big of a difference with the VTF-3. The 7s would be about equivalent to the 8s you currently have.

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
I agree as well. Keep what you have and get rid of your sub. The Hsu would be a huge step-up in terms of quality. Have you ever taken a good look at the Paradigm Reference line? I just love my Studio20 v.3's. However, the difference between the monitor line and the reference line is very significant. Anyways, good luck in your decision and be sure to let us know what you decide and how it all turns out for you.

Jay Drummer

Auditioning
Ive decided to give the Polks another shot with ith a better receiver than the Pioneer vsx1015tx i just returned. Im looking at the Denon 2807... Ive ordered an HSU VTF3 HO with the new turbo port. Any suggestions on a receiver?

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
Jay sounds like you have a good plan there. I am sure you will notice a big difference with respect to the LFE. Polk makes excellent speakers BUT subs are their weakest link. As far as receiver goes the 1015 is an awesome receiver. Just recently I purchased a Yamaha RX-V757 and I must say it is nice. However, I wanted the 1015 but the deal I got on my 757 was too good to pass up. A friend of mine works at a place that sells Yamaha and Paradigm as well as Polk. I get good deals on Yamaha and Paradigm but Polk aggressively protects their dealer networks and as such can not get much of a discount. IMHO, the 1015 is a better over all receiver than my Yammie 757. If it weren't for the deal I got I would have gotten the 1015. If you can swing it I would take a good look at the Yamaha RX-V2600. It is an awesome receiver. Why do you not like the 1015?If you want more power why not just buy an amp and use the pre-outs on your 1015? Outlaw Audio makes very good amps and so does av123.com. Good luck with your decsion. Be sure to keep us informed. Oh, BTW heard the Pioneer 1016 will be shipping in June. It will have HDMI switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks