What's new

Paradigm setup question? (1 Viewer)

BobP

Stunt Coordinator
A possible upgrade to my system quandry here. Currently I have the following setup:
Denon 3802
Titans v.3
CC-170 v.3
ADP-170 v.3
SVS 22-31 Pci
Here is my question, I have the possibility of upgrading to some Mini-monitor for the fronts, but they are only v.2's.
Eventually I would upgrade the center to a CC-370 but will not be able to just yet. My question is has anyone noticed a "noticable" difference in past versions to new, and also using a CC-170 with the Minis? According to the Paradigm website, they show with the minis you can use ADP-170's, but say to use either CC-270's or 370's. Quick note is my room is quite small, so I am able to play at easily below reference level and have the wife complain about the "noise"
factor. Room is roughly 12x11x7 so the Titans and CC-170 fill the room wonderfully, but I have read here before how much better the Mini-monitors are and that it is a "big" difference from the Titans.

Thank you all for any help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd get the Minis, no question. I've owned v3 Titans (essentially unchanged from v2) and v2 Minis and though the v3 Minis are an improvement over v2, I'd still take them over Titans. There is not much difference in extension, but the Minis, while not perfect, are noticably cleaner to my ears, especially when used as mains. You have enough power to make the Minis + 370 (get the v3) happy with the 3802, so I'd say it would be an upgrade.

I've also used the Minis with a 170, and it will work OK until you can upgrade. I noticed the difference, and eventually moved to a v3 270 for a month, then moved to a v3 370. All powered by a Marantz SR6200, which I compared to the 3802 and found to have about the same power.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I've got mini-monitors with CC-370 and they are absolutely fabulous together. I auditioned the 170 vs. the 370. At first you don't notice the differences but the more movies you watch, the more happy you'll be in upgrading to the cc-370.

BobP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply John, one more question you bring up. You say that I would be fine with the v.2 Minis, but when you said the CC-370, get the v.3 Is there a reason for definitley a v.3 of the CC-370 over say the v.2 of the CC-370? Maybe I am just being anal, but just want to know why you specifically say that. Thanks, Bob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The v3 370 has an off axis tweeter (which the 270 and 170 do not) with the new dimpled faceplate, along with the new midbass drivers. IMO, it is a better speaker than the v2 370. I used it with v2 Minis and v2 Monitor 5s and it still blended perfectly.

Check audiogon.com too, I've seen some v3 370s going for good prices, as well as v2 Minis. I still have my v3 370, because the buyer has not come through with the cash yet... Minis and 5s were sold some time ago. If he doesn't come through soon, I may have a 370 at a very good price back on the market

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Bob,

I've had the v.3 CC-170 paired up with v.2 Minis and loved it. Now I've got v.3 Monitor 5's in place of the Minis, they went to the back, and am still happy. Everyone will probably say the 370's a better match, and I wouldn't doubt it. But this being my first attempt at HT, I wouldn't know the difference...heh heh heh, I'm very happy. :D

But John,

If you decide to give up waiting on your buyer, I'd be interested in your 370. Paradigm's tuff to get here in Hawaii, no dealers around.

cabreau

Second Unit
Bob, my original plan was to upgrade my Atoms to Minis...then I heard the Studio line. LOL. I now have Studio 20s, a CC-470 and I kept my Atoms to use as surrounds. Just a thought. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks