What's new

Paradigm pricing and Rockets (1 Viewer)

Aaron_S

Grip
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Been reading alot and really and liking everything i read. Seems like a great place here. I was wondering, I am looking at a set of Paradigm Monitor 7, CC370, and ADP370. My dealer says that he'll give me 13.7% off on the purchase before the prices on them go up. Is 13.7 good?? or should I be trying for more off. I also have been looking at the Rockets. I really like what I've read about the sound and think that is what I might be looking for more than the paradigms. Also been checkin out Axiom. I am running a Yamaha HTR-5560 reciever if that helps too. Room dimensions are difficult as I am moving. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know trust your ears but in my situation I can afford to buy both and return the one i dont like. Would the rockets be good if I am interested in the sound people describe. Thanks in advance.

Aaron_S

Grip
Oh, and I've also been looking at B&W, but that's a very long drive for me to audition so any help is appreciated there too, if I should be making that drive.

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
I've got paradigms downstairs in the HT basement and have helped neighbors buy two complete paradigm HT's. Mine were the top standard paradigms. The others were a complete Studio series with 80's and such, and the other was a bunch of satellites.

I also just purchased a complete Rocket HT. 750's 250's and 200.

While, I'm more than happy with my speakers for the money from paradigm and I think they are a great value. Your money will go farther with the Rockets IMO. The build quality between the two sets of speakers are in two completely different leagues. The rocket's are artful and elegant with the curves and real wood.

As far as sound goes. The rockets have a very distinct sound and I suggest listening to them before buying them. They are mellower. By that I mean I can listen to them at high volumes for hours without ear fatigue or a grating which feels like the speakers are attacking me. They are very smooth and AWESOME for easy listening. They are still very detailed though. Being mellow and being detailed are no longer opposites in my book. I haven't fully tried them out for HT yet though.

All the paradigms I've heard were enjoyable and lived up to much of the respect they have been given. The reference series are very impressive, but I would take the rockets over them...I did :)

My experience with B&W is only their very top line and the rockets and paradigms just aren't at the level. :)

Do you listen to alot of music or is this mostly HT?
What types of music do you listen to?
What are you most important aspects you are looking for in a speaker? (i.e. cost, finish, upper detail, good low end, etc.)

So, in conclusion, I think that the Rockets are a better value after hearing and owning both, but I'd be happy doubt either set will dissappoint. :)

Good Luck

Aaron_S

Grip
Thanks alot for the reply. I am about 50/50 on music and movies. I listen to every kind of music. Mostly rock and classic rock, but i also listen to rap and country. I am hoping to find a speaker that not only has good detail, but also a nice midrange. I am looking for something that will be stylish, yet have a sound that won't fatigue me, after auditioning klipsch reference, my ears were almost bleeding. I've read alot of reviews and the rockets are sounding nice that they have a good midrange and won't fatigue me like alot of speakers do. I think that the rockets sound like a excellent value. Are the rockets more laid back than the paradigms? Also, how are the rocket surrounds?? Do they perform right up there as well. I am looking for something non-fatiguing, yet do they sound just as good at low levels. I currently have yamaha speakers but have a upgrade bug and looking for something new. I also want something with tight accurate bass with some punch, does the rockets have that?
Thanks again.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I think I can answer yes to all your questions, but those are my ears telling me the answers. Where are you located? Perhaps you can get a demo from one of the Rocket owners in your neck of the wood. Try going to AV123's forum or Audioenvy to sign up for a demo.

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Typically, people want a little more 'snap' in their speakers when listening to movies. It may be harder for the Rockets to deliver that snap if you really want it, but the vocals coming from the Bigfoot center channel are amazing. The 750's and center blend wonderfully for HT use.

As far as music go so far I've listened to Fleetwood Mac, Sarah Brightman, The Rippingtons, Toby Keith, Andrea Bocelli, Mariah Carey, Tim McGraw, U2, Titanic, Top Gun, Star Wars, Norah Jones, Paul Simon, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Usher, Ludacris, Backstreet Boys, Lou Bega, Eurythmics, John Mayer, P. Diddy, Biggie, Blur, Linkin¡¦ Park, Nirvana, Box Car Racer, David Mathews Band, Enrique, Bush, Michael Jackson, Styx, Steppenwolf, Five for Fighting, Beethoven, Boys II Men, Faith Hill, Avril Lavigne, Vertical Horizon, Celine Dion, and more.

That said, I listen to a wide variety of music also. I listen to the 750's only for two channel music and am very please with them. The midrange is easily the best part of the speaker. Simply one of the best midranges I've ever heard. The midrange is tight, articulate, and powerful. They are very detailed in the highs, but not bright. All the sounds are there, but the top hat for example doesn't have the sting of being right near the drum set. So it's there and detailed, but doesn't sting your ear. Whether or not you want it to sting is your decision and one of the reasons auditioning these speakers is very important. Given what you have said I would expect the Rockets to be a great match for you.

The reviews you have read are correct about the speakers no being fatiguing. I've listened to the speakers for a 8 hours at levels you cannot speak over without any fatigue. I've listen to them louder than I've felt comfortable with and they don't fatigue me. I hate fatigue and want my hearing for the future so NOT having that feeling is very important to me. The rockets are more laid back than any of the paradigms I have heard for sure.

The 250's in the rears of my system lack the same midrange as the 750's but are still very respectable. The low end is awesome for size speaker they are. The highs are very similar to the 750's. I've done a little A/B between the two, but no enough to really give a great review between the two.

If you end up liking the highs (which I think you will) then the midrange and the lows are easy to like. You will need a sub to add to the system if you are planning on betting the very low end of the audio spectrum. The 750's will probably go low enough to please most people for music, but for the big explosions in an HT then a sub is needed. The low end is very very tight. There seems to be a drop off on the low end before the speakers are able to get muddy and bloated. I'm sure room placement will have a big impact upon the boom factor and you¡¦ll just need to play with that.

As far as the finish goes and the construction, WOW. For the price I paid for these speakers they should not look this good and sound this good. Just like sound is a little subjective :) So are the aesthetics of a speaker. I think the rosewood is absolutely beautiful and everybody who has seem them has commented on how beautiful they are.

Well, I hope your purchase goes well.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
You seriously can't go wrong with each speaker.

I have Paradigms in front and Rocket RS150's in the rear. Now I don't have the Vifa tweeter the other Rockets have but my impression of these speakers are just as others have said. Extremely smooth and laid back so you can crank it loud and it'll still be very easy to listen to. The Paradigm Monitor's titanium tweeter can be a bit bright at times but its really very smooth for a metal tweeter.

Personally for me, I like having towers (monitor 9's) in front for stereo use and there's nothing in the Rocket price range that was in my budget. I bought them used off Ebay for $600 shipped for the pair.

Aaron_S

Grip
I was wondering with AV123 and the rockets. Would I be able to get a discount on buying the 550s and a 200 center?? I think I'm leaning towards trying the rockets. There are no auditions in my area from audioenvy, but they sound like the sound I'm looking for. I think i might take a chance. Thanks for the advice.

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Call any of the guys at AV123. They are all top notch and very helpful. Usually if you are buying more than one item they will cut a deal for you, however it is really up to them. The 550's are on a great sale right now so that might effect it some. You can always call and just talk to them. I like to know a company before I buy, personally.

Aaron_S

Grip
I have read on the AV123 forum about the rockets maybe being a little muddy on fast rock and high vocals. Is this true. I really like rock like The Who and Led Zeppelin. Are the rockets gonna do these bands justice or should i be looking elsewhere. Will I hear everythjing in the music or am I gonna be missing some parts? Thanks.

Jonathan VDM

Auditioning
- Aaron_S

I had the Monitor 7's for about 2 weeks before I took them back to upgrade to the M9's (needed more bass for the music I like) They had superb midrange capability's, and were incredibly detailed. Excellent for HT, but you would definitely need a sub to go with if you are going to be doing a lot of movie watching. They are a little bright out of the box but nothing a little receiver tweak couldnt take care of. Overall I was really impressed with the Monitor 7. Had excellent sound stage IMO. I havn't heard the Rocket's so I can't give you my personal comparison, but I would definitely recommend auditioning both side by side, it's the best way to find out which is most pleasing to your ears. The price of the Monitor 7's is also very attractive, specially if you are getting cut a deal. Happy shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks