What's new

Paradigm Monitor 5v2 (1 Viewer)

Does anyone own or tested or have opinions or the Paradigm Monitor 5v2?

I've seen some bad on the version 1, but real good on version 2.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The version 1 and 2 monitor 5 speakers are more or less completly different. The version 1 had a single 6.5" driver and was a tower while the version two has two 6.5" drivers and is a larger bookshelf speaker very similar in size to the studio40.

Can't comment on the sound, only that this is likely the reason for the review disparities.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Mmmm... no, I'm not sure where you got your info. The monitor 5 has always had two 6 1/2's and a 1 inch tweeter just like the studio 40. I own moniter v.1 series (Mon 7, cc-350, mini mon) and they sound very nice, but I would suggest listening for yourself.

WilliamJay

Stunt Coordinator
James,

I own both the Monitor 5s and the Diva 4.1s. The 5's list for $519 and I got them for $390 along with a CC-370. The 4.1s cost $499 instead of their normal $699 because of a special sale being run by AV 123 right now that is unadvertised. The shipping cost was $100 for the Divas.

Although the Divas were more expensive by approx. $200, I think they are definitely worth the difference. They sound more like the Studio 40s. The Divas are also much better looking than the Monitor 5s.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the New Year.

Bill

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I apologize, and I stand corrected. In fact I do remember this now. At the time I bought my paradigms, I was looking at the Infinity RS series, and I remember the Mini monitors, where like the RS3 (6 1/2" two way bookshelf) the monitor 5 was like the RS4 (single 6 1/2" two way floor stander) and the monitor 7 was like the RS5 (dual 6 1/2" two way floor stander). Thanks for the memory refresher. When you posted, I assumed you were thinking about the Paradigm 5seMk3. Again, I apologize.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
No problem, for a second you had me thinking I was remembering wrong and I was gonna be doing the apologizing ;)
Hey, did you notice, AudioReview actually did something usefull :p)
I couldn't find any reviews of the V1 though.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I think audio review can be pretty good. It helped me make my decision to go with Paradigm in general. You have to take everything with a grain of salt though. I make it a point to read the bad reviews, and try to see if people have a real reason for not liking the product or are just mad about something. Same thing for the good reviews. Is the person just propping up their own purchase or are they being realistic. The forum over there is not good though IMO.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I own the very same combination that Charles JP has and really like the sound. I, too, suggest you listen to the Monitor 7's before making up your mind.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Oh yeah, I never addressed the sound difference question. There have been slight changes to the Monitor line from v.1 to v.2. Mostly, they have gotten a little better power handling for the tweeter, and I think they adjusted the crossover a few hundred Hz. I would say that there is very little difference between the Monitor 7 v.1 & v.2. The reason people are probably less impressed with the v.1 Monitor 5s, is they do not really have a big advantage over the mini monitors, except maybe a little bass extension but they cost significantly more. The new v.2 gained another woofer, and the cabinet is probably better than the old, larger v.1. which was not braced well in comparison to the monitor 7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks