What's new

Paradigm - Monitor 11's vs Studio line (1 Viewer)

Johnny Sal

Auditioning
Has anyone compared the Paradigm Monitor 11's vs the Studio line. I have an Onkyo receiver with 65w/channel and I have heard that the Studio line needs a lot of power, so I am leaning towards the 11's.

In Canada the 11's retail for $1449 but I have a quote for $935. Is this a good deal? or what Studio speakers would be comparable?

DonJ

Second Unit
I love my Monitors but the Studios do sound better and yes they do require more power to really get them to open up, the Monitors are a little more forgiving with electronics. The Monitors have great mid range detail, nice highs, and very extended bass, they image very well also, but you have to be careful about placement but when get it right the whole wall behind them becomes an auditorium. With the Studios I have notice with lesser electronics (electronics putting out less than 100 watts/channel) they seem really closed up always begging for more power. IMO I think you need separates to really hear all they have to offer, most receivers don't have the power to really make them open up and sing. On the other hand Monitors are pretty easy to drive and with little power they can be very dynamic and able to shake the house down. So unless you plan on moving to separates any time soon I would go for the Monitors you should be more than pleased.

my system
receiver-HK AVR320
Mains-Paradigm Monitor 9s v.2
Center-Paradigm CC370 v.2
Rear- Paradigm Mini Monitor v.2
sub- Paradigm PW2200 (just upgraded from the PS1000)

Scott_N

Second Unit
I had the 11's for about a year and they are a very good speaker. I have the Studio 100's now and they image so much better and the highs are smoother IMO. Even with my SR-18 I felt they sounded compressed so I added a Aragon 8008ST amp and a Aragon 28k preamp to my setup and it was like night and day!! The 11's are easier to push so they might be a better fit.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
So would I have better imaging going with the monitor line than studio 20s if they are being powered by an Onkyo 700?

It is rated at 100 w x 6, but we know how Onkyo has been overrating their amps lately. I haven't heard the monitor line but the studios did sound sweet on an integrated receiver, believe it was an HK, but not the flagship.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I've heard the 20's driven by a 100wpc yamaha receiver and they sounded great. The 20's are not as hard to drive as the 100's. As far as what would be a better image that would be up to your ears of course. To my ears the 11's have a bigger sound and the 20's provide more detail and smoother highs.

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of music do you like? If you like heavy bass, then get the 11's. If you like any other kind of music, go with the 20's.

When listening to both, the midrange (i.e. saxophones, female and male voices) are so much smoother on the 20's...

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I just have a bit of a side question. If I were to buy the studio 100s and drive them with a denon receiver with 65 watts per channel, would they sound awful or could I get by until I get an amp? I can't decide between getting the 40s and a good amp now or getting the 100s and an amp in a few months.

Thanks

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Elliott,
Do you have a good sub?
If you do, I'd get the 40's.
If you'll need the speakers to handle the full range signal, I'd say get the 100's. They will play with 65W, but you'll definitely want more later on. Same goes for the 40's by the way.

Wayne

Brae

Supporting Actor
I have listened to the monitor 11's, and compared them to both the Studio 08's and 100's. I love the sound the Studio 80's and 100's make, but I do not really 'compare' them to the monitor line at all. Its just a different sound.

So, if you are looking for something comparable to the Monitor 100's, but in the Studio line, you may have to have a few more listening sessions ahead of you. I suggest this because I just do not think the 20's can compare in any way to the Monitor 11's. Sure, the sound is different, but the 20's may not present as full of an image as a more 'full' speakers.

I may be wrong, but trying to compare the Studio 20's to the Monitor 11's seems lop-sided. And yes, the Studio 100's do like their power. Stereophile did a review of them in their September 2001 issue, and the impedance curve has a couple of dips, one dropping the 8-ohm nominally yielded speaker to 3-ohms. Ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks