Paradigm Monitor/Studio comparisons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Well, let me start by saying I know I have to audition for myself and see what I like. But before I start out on my auditions I would like some input.
    I am interested in how the upper end of the Monitor line compares to the lower end of the Reference Studio line. Say the Monitor 11's vs. Studio 40's. Or Monitor 7's/9's vs. Studio 20's. I know the speakers I am referring to in the Monitor line are floorstanders and the Reference Studios I mention are "bookshelf" but I don't think I would really expect Monitor 5's to hold up to even the Studio 20's.
    I couldn't even to begin to consider the budget needed to move up past the 40's in the Reference line (not even sure I could afford those) so I wont even audition the Studio 60's.
    Part of the reason I am asking is the store I will be auditioning in keeps the two lines in separate listening rooms. Before I go having them moving all the speakers I want to hear to one room I would just as soon save them some trouble and have an idea what I want to directly compare.
    I am mostly interested in the speaker to speaker comparison, all other elements being equal. But I know someone will ask, I will likely be using the PS-1200 or Servo 15 sub as budget allows.
    ------------------
    Luke

2. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'm sure someone else would jump in here eventually any way, so let me say this.
    quote: The Monitor 7 and 9's have greater bass extension than the 20's for obvious reasons however the sound is muddier.[/quote]
    This is sort of like saying that a Corvette is slower than a Porsche. Sure its 100% true, but will the driver care/notice for the extra $50,000 or so. In this case will the listener (and the only listener that matters in this case is you) find it worth your money to get into the studio line. I personally got the Monitor 7s and will not upgrade until I can afford to go straight to the studio 100s, but that was my choice.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    [Edited last by Charles J P on September 26, 2001 at 07:17 AM]

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else?
    Ed, Why do you think the Monitors would be better for movies?
    Charles, Yep part of my decision hinges on justifying the price jump. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Luke

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

I would have to agree with what Ed C said about the Monitor line being better for movies and the Studio line for critical music listening. I don't know what it is but I feel that the Studios are so smooth and so clean that it would be a WASTE to use them for, mainly, movie viewing. Maybe you can say that the Monitors are just "good enough".
    Thinking of getting Paradigms to go with your 3802? [​IMG]
    FWIW, I have a pair of Monitor 9s, a CC-350, PW-2200, ADP-170s and a pair of Atoms for the rear center channel.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been a satisfied owner of the Monitor 7's for over 3 years. About a year ago I invested in some Nordost Superflat Bi-wired speaker cables, that in my opinion made the speakers even sound better. The 7's do not sound muddy at all to me. I also think the 7's sound better than the 9's.
    But remember, that these are all personal opinions. I suggest you try to get an in home demo of the speakers you are interested in and then go with what sounds best to you.

7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

quote: But I know someone will ask, I will likely be using the PS-1200 or Servo 15 sub as budget allows.[/quote]
    I would say choose between the PW-2200 and Servo-15 as budget allows. The 2200 can hold it's own in my system with Studio 40's. The 15 is a significant jump in price. Plenty of people are happy with it and I would have one if budget allowed when I bought the 2200--but I tell you I would put that 2200 up against just about any sub for the same price and it'll fare really well. You should especially look at the 2200 if you do end up buying 20's or 40's.
    quote: I suppose, if you are using these mostly for movies, then the larger Monitors may be a better choice however if you are a critical music listener, the Studio's much more realistic.[/quote]
    My opinion is that in general, any speaker which excels at music can perform well for movies (with the possible exception of subwoofers), but the reverse is not necessarily true. The Monitor 9s being floorstanders vs. the bookshelf 40s, it's possibly an apples to oranges comparison. I think if you put a set of 40s and a PW-2200 up against the Monitor 9s, you may very well find that you prefer the 40/2200 combination, even for movies.
    ------------------
    Dustin A. Davis '94
    Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Dallas HT Group
    "But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers
    [Edited last by DustinDavis on September 26, 2001 at 07:32 PM]

8. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

9. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I have had the 7s for several years and have loved them. I just moved into a new house several months ago and I am looking to upgrade to the studio line for a dedicated home theater. I just bought the 20s last week to use as rear speakers and have been playing them in my living room by themselves to break them in (powered by a rotel 2x200 amp)... And they are amazing! They put my 7s to shame. And if you plan on using the PS-1200 or Servo 15 you will not be lacking for bass. Although if you plan on watching more movies, the 40s would be a better choice and in all honesty I think they sound better than the 60s. In either case you can't go wrong. The studio line really rocks.
    I agree with Ed C in part that for movies a floor standing 2-1/2 or 3-way would be better if you are in the same product line, but when you compare monitors to reference lines it's not quite as clear as that. You'll just need to listen and decide for yourself. The 20s with a sub will most likely produce more bass and sound much crisper than the 7s or 9s.
    However if your choice is between the 7s and 9s... I'd go for the 7s all the way. The 9s produce a little more bass but the 7s are tighter sounding and if you have a sub... save the money and get the 7s.
    good luck!
    -Mike
    system to be (t-30 days):
    studio 100s
    studio cc
    studio 20s
    denon avr3300
    b&k ref7250
    servo 15
    toshiba sd6200
    sony 61" hiscan
    ------------------

10. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

"This is sort of like saying that a Corvette is slower than a Porsche."
    Um...actually, you might want to check out some of the recent car magazine tests (Road&Track, Car&Driver, Automobile, etc.). The Corvette Z06 outperformed the 911 in every single test, I believe. Pretty impressive for a car that costs half the price of the Porsche.
    Regarding Paradigm speakers, yes, the Reference Series is better than the Monitor series, but when you get up to this price point, I think other manufacturers outperform Paradigm.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

11. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Justin,
    quote: Um...actually, you might want to check out some of the recent car magazine tests (Road&Track, Car&Driver, Automobile, etc.). The Corvette Z06 outperformed the 911 in every single test, I believe. Pretty impressive for a car that costs half the price of the Porsche.[/quote]
    It's not all performance, some prestige is involved. In the late 80's, a relative of mine owned a recent model Porsche 911 Turbo...really sweet. Still dream about that car, even now. Back then, when he was driving across the US and Canada (Ohio to BC), my relative had noted that he was pulled over eight or nine times....all checking if he had a radar detector (he didn't).
    Dave
    [Edited last by DavidY on September 27, 2001 at 12:14 AM]

12. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    double post
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    [Edited last by Charles J P on September 27, 2001 at 07:07 AM]

13. Charles J P

CJ Paul

14. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Thanks for the insight guys, before this turns into a car thread [​IMG] does anyone else have any input on how the upper end of the Monitor line compares to the lower end of the Reference Studio line?
    ------------------
    Luke

15. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I had a pretty sharp dealer tell me one time that the Montor 7's and a PW 2200 Cobo comes pretty darn close to a Studio 60/PW 2200 combo.
    I will say that after going to sepeartes, my Monitor 7's really sound great versus using a reciever! [​IMG]

16. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I had the Paradigm 7's in one setup.
    I also had the 100's v2.
    The 100's took far to much power for me to get them to sing.
    So I sold my 100's and purchased a used
    pair of 60's v2. I side by side tested both the
    Monitor 7's to the 60's. Yes indeed they have a similar sound. But IMO the 7's had no where near the airy or clarity of the 60's, The sound stage is much more open and redefined with the 60's. I used my 7's for about a year as the mains then retired them to a new room. Since sold them.
    Again IMO the 7's are the monitors finest floor speaker for the money.
    Again this is all a subject to the buyer and his personal likes and dislikes.
    So you MUST audition both yourself.
    I now use a PW-2200
    60's v2 mains
    20's v2 rears
    CC Center
    for my main setup
    Good Luck.

17. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Jerry:
    What equipment were you using for this comparison?

18. Mike L-field

Mike L-field Agent

I used to have the Paradigm 9se MK 3 which preceded the current Monitor 9's. I loved them. I now own the studio 40's. The 40's are "sweeter. One thing in particular I noticed. In my room, the Monitors had a touch of sibilance on certain recordings. The 40's do not exhibit the sibilance. I also own the 20's (used in my bedroom. They do not display the sibuilance either. Im listened especially for that using the same recordings, because I was afraid that the metal tweeter may sizzle compared to the fabric tweeters that were used in the 9s The reference speakers also are more "refined in the clarity of midrange and treble sounds. They don't have as much bass output as the 9s, but what tbass they handle is well defined and "tighter" to my ears. If budget is an issue I would recommend the 20's and the PW 2200. I own both the servo 15 in my main system mated with the 40's and the 200 in my bedroom mated with the 20's. If you get the monitor 9's you'll still need a sgood sub for effective reproduction of the low end in movies. Since you'll want a sub anyway, I say get the reference speakers for mains, center and surround. The 2200 is very close to the servo down to 25 or 30 Hz (I'm guessing there; I don't prtend that my ears can clearly distinguish 30 Hz from 25 Hz.) I hope this helps.
    ------------------

19. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

GarryW
    I used two of my systems, with a few amps.
    One was with a Sony Ta-E9000ES pre-pro v2.01
    five THX Parasound/Soundstream Mono Amps.
    Several different sources.
    Then I tried it with a Citation 5.1 amp at 100 watts
    and also bridged at 300 watts.
    Then I tried it with my Denon AVR-5700
    Receiver along with it's internal amps
    as well as the above mono's and Citation amps.
    I only made my test within the same room of
    15' x 25' the acoustics' have been very well prior
    to this.
    Again this was only my non scientific comparison.
    It left me with the feeling that the 7's are great
    for the price. And if you can find a good used pair
    of 60's v2 at $550 as I did, all the better.
    I only did this test for myself, as should I sell the
    60's for profit or keep them and sell the 7's.
    Sold the 7's and kept the 60's for under $150 difference.
    Again I had the 100's v2 for almost one year prior to this.
    They where just to power hungry. The 80's I did not like.
    The 40's would have needed stands but sound no better
    IMO then the 60's as the 60's seamed to have a fuller sound.
    I suppose almost twice the internal volume had to do with this. Although the test between the 60's and 40's was in the store and not at home.
    All in all the 7's are a very nice speaker.
    The positioning of the drives are nearly the same as the 60's, But the drivers and cross-overs make the differences in sound.
    Again, One must not depend on what others perceive as good or bad, only belive your ears, and spend as much as your budget allows, if you skimp on speakers to much you may just loose what you thought you saved when you upgrade, It's hard to resell for what you paid in the first place, Unless you find a real good deal.
    Every test I did was two channel only.
    I'm sure with better two channel gear things may have been different.
    Good luck
    [Edited last by Jerry Klawiter on September 28, 2001 at 06:14 PM]