Paradigm Monitor 11's vs. Studio 40/60's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Dunlap, Jun 4, 2002.

1. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Just got back from my local Paradigm dealer. I had gone over there to audition the Studio ref. 40's and 60's. After listening for a few minutes I thought that they were nice but not $1,200 nice. Just for the heck of it I thought I'd take a listen to the Monitor 11's.....WOW! While I thought that the Studio 40/60's were kind of harsh when turned up I thought that the Monitor 11's were smooth as butter. Very warm and not harsh at all.

So I can't help thinking...are my ears lying to me??? After all the hype I've heard about the Studio Reference line I was expecting more >. I think I will end up buying the Monitor 11's.

Only problem is I was not all that impressed with the matching center- CC-370. Is the Studio CC much better? I did not have a chance to hear it.

As a point of reference, the Monitor 11's,Studio 40's and 60's were being driven by an NAD Amp and Pre-Amp. The CC-370 I listened to was running off a mid-line Yamaha Receiver.

2. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

to each his own i suppose. i still think the studio line sounds better than the monitor line, but everyone has different tastes. could be possible that the studios weren't broken in yet.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

John,
    First of all, I think you have answered your own question here in the choices of the Monitor line versus the Reference line. Most people prefer the Reference line from my experience, but the bottom line is, trust your own ears. It's your money and you have to be satisfied with the purchase.
    There are items that come into play without knowing the answer. Were the Studio's and the Monitors in the same room? It sounds like they might be after you reference the same amplification and pre/pro.
    My thought process is also, try to power the CC-370 with an amp that is similar to what you have at home or equal to the Monitor/Reference series. Maybe you could borrow the center/CC-370 on the weekend and try it at home??
    Same music types? It's always good to listen to different types of music with a wide range of sounds. I always take my favorite "tunes" just so I am familiar with the reproduction. However, I am sure you already know this.
    I had the Studio 20's and the PDR-10 in my home theater and replaced them with the 90P's ver. 2. I prefer the 90P's over the Studio 20's at this point in time, only because I have limited space and mobility. The PDR-10 sub was not powerful enough for me. For my ears, a real woof, woof, but I was not aware of this because I was a bit green on my first 5.1 system.
    I do not have the room to place a larger sub in this room so the 90P's fit my situation very well. I am very happy with these speakers. (For the moment) [​IMG]
    Also, in case you do not know this, Paradigm is coming out with a version 3 in the monitor line. I spoke with one of their reps in Canada and he told me they would be available in the states around mid-June. They are taking some of the technology of the Reference line and incorporating it into the version three.
    Also, MA is not far from the border. You can save a bunch of cash by making the trip there if you are interested. Also, some of the posters on here write that the version 3 is already in the market place in Canada. I have the name of a place there from a Canadian contact where you would save some money. If you are intersted, feel free to mail me.
    I have the CC-350 in my system (The 370 is a newer version) and am not happy with the way it sounds. I too have been thinking about upgrading to the Studio CC, but have been told it's not a good idea to mix the Studio line with the Monitor line. I may borrow the Studio CC from my local dealer and see how it blends. Perhaps other posters may have some informative info for both of us on this subject.
    You problaby know a lot of this information already. However, considering I have been on a quest recently upgrading my system with new amplification and a speaker addition, I thought I would share my research.
    Charles

4. John Dunlap

Funny you say that. Actually the Monitor 11's were not fully broken in yet. They had just been unboxed this week. My preference for the 11's may have had something to do with the Titanium tweeter vs. the Aluminum tweeter used in the Studio Series.

Also, I have to admit that the listening conditions were less than ideal. The speakers were all out on the main showroom floor which had a high ceiling and was kind of lively.

Maybe I need to go back and do some more evaluation with different source material. The only thing I listened to was my Robert Cray CD.

Still for $800 on the Mon. 11's(closeout deal) it would take a lot for me to lean back toward the Studio 60's at $1,200.

5. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

I agree

I own a pair studio 60's I know for a fact that they require a long break in time to get all the performance that they are capable of. They can sound rather harsh in the highs at first. The pair that you heard in the store were probably not broken in yet.

Mike

6. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Mike:

This is the information I was given about the version 3 line of the Monitor Series from G.T. of their tech support area on 5/21/02.

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    One person's "clean, detailed sound" is another person's "horribly bright" speaker. Were these speakers in different rooms? Room acoustics will affect the sound as much as the speakers.

9. John Dunlap

Mike, you make some great points and it makes me realize that I need to audition these with a broad range of source material. I have a very diverse taste in music so I would like to find a speaker that is not overly weak in one area.

I currently have Energy e:XL 26's that I bought about 4 years ago. They are not bad and not great. They were at the time a $700 pair of speakers and that's pretty much what they sound like. The Energy AC-300 Center Channel on the other hand is very nice. I have not yet heard anything in its price range that is noticeably better. I would love to hang onto my center but I'm concerned that it would not match well with the 'Digms.

Greg, FYI-The Monitors and the Studios were being played in the same room with the same source and the same components. As I said, the dealer told me that the Monitor 11's were not broken in but the Studio 60's were.

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

If the Monitor 11's were not broken in and the Studio 60's were, then the Monitors should actually sound better in time. I've been playing mine now for about a month and they have opened but substantially. They sound much cleaner and less restricted in nature.

As I said before, "It's always good to listen to different types of music with a wide range of sounds."

Good luck..

11. StevenJL

StevenJL Extra

John,
    Trust your ears!! I ended up with Monitor 11's instead of the Studio Ref. series. I've compared them for about three weeks at the store and just fell in love with the 11's. Either way, you can't go wrong! Exellent service!!

Steven

12. james e m

james e m Second Unit

The only thing that I can add is that I have the Monitor 11s and it is a great speaker for the money. It sounds even better when it's broken in. I would say if you tend not to use a sub when listening to music, as I do, then the Monitor 11s are a better choice.
    Jame4s

13. Mark_Buss

Mark_Buss Extra

I have a Studio CC and Monitor 11's in my home theater setup and love them. I chose the monitor 11's because they fit my price range (they were just under the Studio 60's and I swear I couldn't tell the difference driving it from a Marantz SR7000). I chose the Studio CC because it was their top of the line and the center is the most important speaker.

I just upgraded my amp power with a bunch of Marantz Monoblocks a week ago and gave all the speakers bi amped juice and they REALLY came alive now.

I am very happy with the Studio CC and Monitor 11's - but they definately required break in time and a lot more power than I was originally giving them to bring out their true sound.

mark

14. John Dunlap

Mark,

I ended up getting Energy C-9's because I got a very good deal on a trade up. I really did like the Monitor 11's a lot especially for the price.

I will upgrade my center later this year and I may go for the Studio CC. A lot of purists will say that it is heresy to not match your center to your L/R but I would prefer to buy the best quality CC that I can afford vs. one that is timbre matched to my L/R.

15. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

two cents to add...

I have the cc-370 and I find it a seamless blend with the Monitor 9's. Again, the ear is the test.

FYI, the dipole ADP-370 V.3's are going to be radically changed. Angular throw as opposed to front and back at 180 degrees.