What's new

Paradigm HT set-up (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Just wanted some opinions, right now i have an H/H avr 230.
I went and listened to some paradigm monitor 9 today and the center CC-370, ADP-370 surrounds and a psw 1000 sub. I think the sytem sounded great and was blown away by the bass the Monitor 9 put out with that one 8" woof. Anyway I can get the whole set-up for $2100, this would be demo M9, and surrounds, new center and sub. Is this a good deal and will it mate well with my reciever.

Craig

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
You have some options to consider! In my opinion you are pumping extra cash into the monitor 9's that you don't need to spend. The only reason the M9's are more cash is because they have more bass. With a good subwoofer in the system who cares if they have extra bass! The problem with the PS1000 is that it is not a good sub. I have read many threads by unhappy owners of the PS1000 and all of them complain that it is sloppy when it comes to music. Here is what I would do: I would buy M7's and put the difference in price towards a better sub (go to the PW line).

Actually, that is not what I would do, here is what I would do: Buy the Studio line of Paradigms up front and some atoms or titans for rears (this saves you the needed cash to get into the studio line). Then I would order an SVS sub. This system would be killer and put the system you were looking at to shame. Probably for not much more money either!

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Well I have never liked using a subwoofer with music only movies, I've never been able to blend one in well enough and have owned dual 20-39cs and dual 20-39cs+ both of which I agree will blow away the paradigm sub. But I like the slam for music alone that those M9's put out. I'll continue to look just trying to get some opinions and thanks.

Craig

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Did you listen to those speakers on your H/K 230? I'd look to get a beefier receiver...I had a 225 and it couldn't run my Athena (rather efficient at 91dB for the mains) setup without compression. Especially if you're spending $2100 on speakers, I'd find something beefier. My $0.02.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I had been using that reciever to run Klipsch speakers, and it's the only piece i have left. My budget won't allow for it right now, but i'll keep looking.

Craig

Dave Duncan

Auditioning
I used to own a PS-1000 series two sub, which I agree was boomy and sloppy on music. I got rid of it but have since purchased a series IV PS-1000 and the difference is very noticeable. The amplifier has been greatly improved on the Series IV and the woofer has also be changed. This newer sub is perfectly acceptable on music. A friend who used to call the PS 1000 version 2 "in your face" heard my Version IV and agreed it was much improved with music -- not boomy or aggressive at all. While the SVS subs may indeed blow away the Paradigms, I would be careful about tarring all PS-1000 subs built since 1995 with the same brush. I am very happy with mine, for movies AND music.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Ok here's what i ended up buying today, Paradigm M9, CC-370, ADP-370, PW 2200 and Sony wega 60" lcd :D And yes my reciever is the weakest link, need to upgrade that thing.

Craig

Drew_W

Screenwriter
A Rotel 1075 5-channel won't set you back more than about $600 on the used market. MSRP is $999...

Saturday Audio even has a special buy on a Silver Series NAD 5-channel amp...$2500 amp for $999.

Think of me as the little devil whispering in your ear to go all the way... :)

Michael BW

Auditioning
I have Paradigm Monitor 3,cc-370,AMS-150,AMS-300 and a Hsu VTF3-MK2 with a Yamaha RXV-2400 and other Yamaha components. Get the RXV-2500. You will love the way it integrates with the Paradigms. Very smooth, extremely natural and balanced. I went back and listened to some old stuff on cd and was simply amazed at the amount of detail I had been missing. I recently started fooling around with some of the newer sacds and dvd-audios like Santana's Supernatural and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon-and wow. Some of it is like HD for your ears. Get the RXV-2500 you will not be disappointed.

Mike

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Craig, congrats on the new system, as you know its gonna smoke!

I have M7's, cc-370, PW2100, and titans surrounds and I too have been looking to upgrade my reciever as mine sucks. Because 2 channel music is important to you should have a look at ARCAM recievers. From what I have read they sound much better that the "regular brands" for 2 channel music. They are a little more cash but I think you can get into their entry models for around $1500. The salesmen I have been talking too has told me to come in and listen to prove it. I even read a thread were the ARCAM sounds better than more expensive recievers from DENON for 2 channel. I have not listened yet so who knows, but they may be something that you want to check out.

Sony WEGA 60" LCD—drool.

Hey Dave, good to hear the new PS1000 subs have been upgraded, that is news to me. I'll have to stop bashing them from now on!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been a happy owner of Paradigm Monitor speakers for over 6 years and I love the sound. Sit back and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks