What's new

B&W CM10 S2 or Paradigm Prestige 95F? (1 Viewer)

Rocket037

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Hello all,

New to the forum and I'm looking for a set up to handle 50/50 music to HT. My living room is an open concept with the kitchen/dining area totaling ~5600cu/ft.

The front speaker setups I've settled on so far are below. Price isn't a factor between them as I can get these for the same price brand new.

1.) Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2 w/ CM Center 2 S2
2.) Paradigm Prestige 95F w/ 55C

For rears, due to awkward space available, I'm planning on Sonance VP62R in-ceilings.

My sub selection right now is a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000w. I'm not married to it but the wi-fi is a huge bonus.

Also, I'm getting a great deal on a Marantz SR7009 receiver and will be waiting to upgrade to separates.

Thanks for the help all!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Your posts brings up additional questions ...

1. What is the price you are paying for the speakers?

2. Have you auditioned them in a room which allows instant switching between the two speakers? If yes, then which did you like?

3. If you have not auditioned them Back to Back, there are a lot of additional products available from GoldenEar. Definitive Technology, SVS Ultra Speakers, Legacy Audio, Axiom/Bryston and PSB all come to mind.

4. The subwoofer you mentioned will have a hard time driving that much space. Dayton Audio makes a wireless subwoofer system that will allow any subwoofer to be wireless.

A more powerful subwoofer is something to consider for this system.

The Marantz receiver is a great choice, and as it has pre-outs on all channels, it can be used as a preamp/processor at a later date without having to purchase a new preamp.

Rocket037

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
  1. I'm getting the CM10's for $3,200/pr. or the 95F's for $3,100/pr. Total system cost ~$6,500 including receiver, 5.1 speakers, Panamax surge protector.
  2. I have only listened to the B&W's and I heard them at Magnolia alongside the usual suspects there including DefTech, Sonus, and Martin Logan. To me, the CM10's blew them all away. I'm actively looking for a place to audition the Digms.
  3. For the sub, my thought is that I can purchase the Dynamo 1000w now and add a second one in a year or two, sooner rather than later if need be.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
The Marantz is on close out, and easily found for $950. The surge protector leaves you with about $5500 left for speakers and subwoofer.

Speaking from experience, if the CM-10's "blew them all away", you were either 1. the victim of a sales person convincing you of the virtues of the CM-10's, 2. a sub standard set up of the other speakers, or 3. you just plain want the B&W's for the "BMW" effect, it's a status symbol. There is nothing wrong with 3. It's your money.

When auditioning speakers, the best place is in your own home. Many companies allow a 30-60 day in home trial.

For $5500, as an example, you could get An SV Sound Ultra system complete with Piano Gloss Ultra Towers, Piano Black Ultra Center, and dual SB-13 Ultra subs with wireless connection for about the same money as the single woofer system you listed. You can try it in your home for 30 days, and if you don't like it, ship it back free of charge. That would be a better balanced system with bass even more powerful than dual Martin Logan Dynamo 1500X's, let alone a single Dynamo 1000.

There are lots of great choices. Trying it in your home for 30 days is the best way to do it. That being said, if you love the B&W's, that's cool.

Rocket037

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
It must have been the setup then because, I'll be honest, I had never heard of Bowers at the time and the salesman was trying to sell me on the Sonus Fabers.

My house will be complete in a couple weeks. I plan to audition a few different options then. Thanks for the input on the SVS.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
That's interesting about his pushing the Sonus. A store local to me (well, 100 miles, but still doable) carries B&W and Sonus Faber. The Sonus product is one of those "warm" speakers, voiced to be mellow.

If you preferred the B&W's over them, then you tend to like a more neutral sound. The B&W's are slightly forward of neutral, as are the Paradigms. The SVS are designed to be pretty neutral as well.

The big thing on the subwoofer issue is this: deep bass is hard to reproduce. It's expensive. But without it, you miss more of the performance than you can imagine. I mentioned the SVS because I get the feeling that you need something that isn't too large. Once you experience 20 Hz bass, you won't settle for less.

Most of the vented subs in your pricing category are BIG. If you can handle big, it opens up other options as well.

Rocket037

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
I actually really liked the Sonus but felt like they struggled a bit on the high end in comparison.

I'm ok with a larger sub if that's what it takes. I've been hearing that two subs is better than one so I plan to start with one and add to it later. Again, my room is 5600 cu/ft so I have some space to fill.

Rocket037

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Craig Chase said:
The Marantz is on close out, and easily found for $950. The surge protector leaves you with about $5500 left for speakers and subwoofer.

Speaking from experience, if the CM-10's "blew them all away", you were either 1. the victim of a sales person convincing you of the virtues of the CM-10's, 2. a sub standard set up of the other speakers, or 3. you just plain want the B&W's for the "BMW" effect, it's a status symbol. There is nothing wrong with 3. It's your money.

When auditioning speakers, the best place is in your own home. Many companies allow a 30-60 day in home trial.

For $5500, as an example, you could get An SV Sound Ultra system complete with Piano Gloss Ultra Towers, Piano Black Ultra Center, and dual SB-13 Ultra subs with wireless connection for about the same money as the single woofer system you listed. You can try it in your home for 30 days, and if you don't like it, ship it back free of charge. That would be a better balanced system with bass even more powerful than dual Martin Logan Dynamo 1500X's, let alone a single Dynamo 1000.

There are lots of great choices. Trying it in your home for 30 days is the best way to do it. That being said, if you love the B&W's, that's cool.
I was able to find an open box Marantz for $500 and am looking at the Panamax M5300 for about $400.

I did some follow up on the SVS PB-13 Ultra and the SB-13 Ultra. Both look like a solid choice. If I understand correctly, the ported sub will work better for my large room but the sealed sub has better response for music. Is it true that one can purchase the ported sub and plug them successfully when needed?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Yes, the SVS PB-13 Ultra can be operated in multiple tunes, including as a sealed subwoofer.

Sealed subwoofers are not necessarily superior to ported for music reproduction. The better vented subwoofers do not have a "boom" sound, but are rather quite extended and sound excellent.

SVS (SV Sound) is an excellent choice because you can get a "matching system" with terrific balance.

You are spending a lot of money - other subwoofers to look at are from Hsu Research (they make three terrific units, two vented, one sealed - and the vented can be used as a sealed sub). For example, DUAL VTF-3 Mark V's from Hsu would only be about $1700 delivered.

RYTHMIK Audio has several quite affordable subwoofers, including vented units that extend to the low teens. Dual FVX-15's would be about $1818 delivered.

I will be testing out both the Hsu Research products and the Rythmik Audio subs in the next 3 weeks.

Powersound Audio also has an extensive lineup of subs, although I have not heard one myself, the drivers and amps they use are excellent.

Finally, for your LEFT, CENTER and RIGHT channels (Besides the SVS already mentioned), Look into Legacy Audio and Axiom Audio. Both have been manufacturing in North America for over 30 years, and both have exceptional values in loudspeakers, as well as a variety of choices for finishes. As with SVS, in home trials are offered.

Have fun with this. Take your time, and a year from now, you will look back and be glad you did the research. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks