What's new
World Wide Stereo

Panny xr 50 (1 Viewer)

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
What are the departments that this reciever lacks in
i'd like to know all the cons before purchasing
thanks in advance

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
As an owner, I've heard experiences of the Panny having a difficult time driving low ohm/low sensitivity speakers (in the mid to lower 80's). And other than the lack of some of the nice features in the analog counterparts (auto setup and true 7.1), my wallet and I are happy, and I feel (actually know) that I have THE BEST possible sound right now.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
Weak soundstaging and it tends to bring certain frequencies to the forefront where it shouldn't. It foreshortens depth and eliminates most imaging cues. It's a pretty weak unit for those who truly know sound. Bear in mind people tend to get overexcited regarding new purchases and need to justify it in their minds.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Nigel,

Looking for a flameout?

The Panny does in fact have a very detailed sound with great clarity and imaging. Decent power but lacks in features.

I found it was not a great match for music for JBL's-IMO-but greta for HT. I sold mine and got an HK-235 but only for 7.1, Logic 7, DPL IIX, etc.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
There's a difference between detail you are meant to hear and detail that sticks out more than the artist intended. They are not accurate whatsoever.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I disagree about the detail aspect but we all have different opinions

Ryan,

Regardless of any opinions expressed, the deciding factor should be your ears. Try it out.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I love the receiver..only thing I don't liek is the loss of my 5 channel stereo..it has a party mode, but doesn't do 5 channel like I am used to..oh well the PL2 and dts neo more than makes up for it from my old receiver..I was also worried about the lack of power from reviews..this unitdoes not lack power at all..it powers all my speakers very well..

BruceD

Screenwriter
Nigel, you need to qualify outrageous statements like that, as they are not categorically true. If they are your personal views from auditioning, say so, and describe the setup.

The TI "Power DAC" amplifier chips used in the Panasonics (and the more expensive TACT products) are sensitive to the impedance characteristics of the speaker. The chipsets are voiced for 6-8 Ohm speakers in the Panasonics, and therefore may not sound their optimum with 4 Ohm speakers (a tip-up in the high frequency response). The chips can be voiced to specific output characteristics.

By the way, I don't own a Panasonic digital receiver or have any work relations with them, but your comments fly in the face of 99% of the user and professional reviews which disagree with your statements.

There are numerous examples of audiophiles who replaced $4-10k of prepros and amps with a Panny (XR-45) and exclaim improved sound quality.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
And numerous examples of people coming to their senses and switching back. Every "pro" review has been less than enthusiastic including a very recent one. All soundly trash them. I have owned the 10, 45 and the 50 and extensively tested them. The 50 is the biggest mess of all of them. Check these reviews for a reality check. All are from respected British magazines.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=3003

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=5074

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=4738

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=3923

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Nigel,

Delivery is everything.

"for those who truly know sound"- are you one of those who does?

Also, what makes your opinion more valid than those who have used them?

I have had the 25 and 50- far from a mess. About personal taste. Simply say they are not for you. Don't trash people or insult their intelligence.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
Don't care about delivery I care about the truth. Bruce D said all pro reviews were positive and I have yet to see one even remotely good or even fair.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Funny. When somebody finally comes up with authoritative reviews of this equipment, he gets banished?! I guess only ancedotal data is accepted in this thread. I have no ax to grind, as I am probably going to purchase a digital receiver (Sony) but jumping on Nigel because he has a differing opinion and offers sound reviews to back it up is not right.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin is still in the I got a new toy and I have to convince myself it's gooooooooooooooood mode. He'll quickly learn. I jumped on these two years ago and got the 10 the day it came out, the 45 the day it came out and the 50 the first week. It's not a new thing Kev.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just a suggestion, before it starts getting too personal, it might behoove some members to utilize the "Ignore" feature here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks