A little help please

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanHud, Jan 23, 2005.

1. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone
    i got my panny xr 50 for christmas, and well im getting sick of having 2 different speakers hooked up to it, 2 totally different sounds is just disgusting to say the least, but im on a super tight budget and i gotta do what i gotta do. Eventually i would like to have the 5.1 setup, but i cant afford to buy it all at once so i have to got pair by pair. I live in canada, and well the prices for audio equiptment in my area isnt so great. I have it narrowed down to 2 things both at the same price(199$ canadian) the Athena ASB1 Bookshelf Speakers and the Polk Audio R30 Tower Speakers.
    Anyone have any input/suggestions for me?
    Im open to other speakers as well. Ive been considering saving up for the onkyo SKS-HT520 6.1 system as well, but ive read to stay away from the htib thing so i dont know anymore.

Thanks in advance guys
    --Ryan

2. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

3. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestion, but $559 american is a little to steep for me sorry.
    Anything else anyone?

4. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

5. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Just buy either the Athena ASB1 Bookshelf Speakers or the Polk Audio R30 Tower Speakers, whichever sounds the best and then buy some cheapo Sony center and surround - then your set. YOu can upgrade the surrounds later if you want.

Actually, i bought the Sony center and surround set, when i first started out, and the center sounded pretty damn good (still have it for future 6.1 setup). Anyway, the set was like 90 bucks at CC.

Next buy the $124 Dayton 10" sub. Believe me, you cannot find a better sub for this price.

You'll have a sweet sounding system at least for movies. For music, i would save for better mains.

6. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

Do you guys have any comments on the BIC America V-80 sub? It's 100W, 8" downfiring woofer which is currently on sale for $90 before tax at Amazon.com. How is this compared to the Dayton sub? If you can tell me if this is far, close or somewhere in the middle compared to the Dayton Mighty Mini, I'd really appreciate it. I could easily go for the $49 jensen 8" sub from jr.com but was told to stay away from those cheapos. I have a tight budget to if you can tell me the BIC V80 is close, I guess I can go for that. THANKS!!!

7. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Ed,

Trust us, if you buy something less than what you really want (unless its substantially less in cost) you'll end up buying what you wanted a few months later anyway. You'll kick yourself for not getting it in the first place. I don't think the BIC v-80 (8") is going to go anywhere near a flat response to 25 hz like the Dayton.

8. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

Ok
    Dayton sub $124
    VT-12 speakers $130 @Compusa

$254 for 6.1 setup [​IMG]