Jvc rx-d201 up and running

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff-Watson, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick word for all those looking at the newer jvc's. After one night of listening I am more than thrilled. Sound is incredibly accurate with digital sources. Jvc with the new digital hybrid amp seems to have done a fantastic job with the analog processing as well. I recently auditioned a Panasonic xr-50 and it performed beautifully with digital sources but seemed extremely thin with an analog signal due to the need to switch the analog signal to digital and back to analog again. I am completely a noobie with the digital amps but I can say the that Jvc has done well on the analog side of the spectrum.

May first and only complaint so far is the heat the unit puts out. At higher listening levels pushing Polk rti-70's and rti-35's with a csi-30 this thing gets HOT. Not going to fry any eggs as I have seen others post but it definitely is not in keeping with the panny's cool running temps.

Ask away with any ?'s you may have and I will try my best to answer them. Jvc has another winner in the budget digital amp market. I have seen others really complain about the use of spring clips but for $150.00 for a 7.1 digital amp that sounds this good, I am not one to complain.

2. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, what speakers are you using with the JVC receiver? Also, is there anyway you can compare the spdif vs USB connection sound quality? And yes, the unit gets really hot just by STAYING ON.

3. Jeff-Watson

Unfortunately I cannot test the usb side of things currently. I am running Polk Audio speakers as listed in the opening. My unit stays overly warm but I would not label it blistering. I am wondering and have sent an e-mail to jvc inquiring if the "digital hybrid amp" is in actuality a partially digital amp. I have been around enough to know that heat is the nemesis to electronics and I have some concerns but as stated sound wise I am thrilled. Beautiful detail across the board with the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD. Listening to James Taylor "Live at the Beacon" now and I believe the sound is opening up a little more. I left the amp on running 5ch stereo on all day and there is definitely a little more warmth today. More break in will tell me more.

I will post any comments I receive from JVC as soon as I hear back. I still believe this could be the best $150.00 I have spent to date. Will give a more objective opinion in a few weeks after I have thrown a few fastballs at it.

Kean, after reading your other post I am thinking you may have received a defective unit. No hiss or extreme heat issues here.

4. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

Hmm. . . interesting comment about my unit being defective. Maybe I should go to a local Fry's to pick up a unit this weekend and compare to my current one (got it through Amazon) to see if there is any difference. Where did you get yours (for only $150?!) ??

And duh about not noticing your speaker line-up in your original post. I have been playing around the RX-D201s with a pair of Athena AS-B1s and I find the resulting sound to be a little too bright for my taste, i.e. I find it uncomfortable to listen to after a period of time. Maybe it will sound better in my office (where I intend to use it) with a pair of Polk R15s.

5. Jeff-Watson

My unit was purchase through ebay. I bought it cheap and the next week the same seller had it priced at $180.00. Got it just in time it seems hehe. I have seen it on the web for near $160.00 but you usually get eaten alive with shipping. E-tailers are notorious for the unbelievable price followed by an extra $20-$30 for handling. Ummmm yeah sure. Let me know if you decide to try another unit. I will be curious to hear your opinion and to see if indeed your current unit is defective. Being the first run of a new line often brings a few buggy units.

6. DavidChamp

DavidChamp Auditioning

Does this unit have a multi-room option ? HAve you tried the USB connection yet, I am considering the next level RX-D301 with the wireless connection to play from my PC'iTunes..

Thanks
    David