What's new

Panny 53WX42 or 52 (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, Best Buy must be getting ready for the new Panny's. 53WX42 is going for 1399. and 79. credit towards a new DVD player. Decisions, decisions, take this deal, which I suspect is the best it's going to get for this model or wait for the X53 with new chassis, new tubes and DVI for what I'm guessing is going to be another 300. to 400 more. Anyone else trying to decide between big discounts on existing models or waiting for new models?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wow! $1400?? Plus credit toward a DVD player??? The credit wouldn't be worth too much to me though since they don't carry any particularly good players anymore. If the credit is good for something else like HDTV receiver, then that'd be nice. Still, you'd save $300+ over a new model -- just save it toward the next TV upgrade a few years from now. :D

Tough call, if you ask me. Probably depends mostly on what your total budget is for all the upgrades you'll want along w/ the new TV.

_Man_

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
hmm, I'm actually going to pull the trigger on one of these this weekend or the next, but the last time I was in my local BB the 53 was still $1599 (with the $79 DVD credit). When did you see the $1399 price? The 47's are advertised for that right now. Maybe it will be that price this weekend.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Ted, The BB web price is now 1399. When I saw that I called my local BB and they confirmed the 1399. price. The 79.99 DVD player deal is available on any Proj TV sale this week. Since I could use a progressive scan DVD player, the whole deal is pretty good. But, I'm still somewhat torn between buying this now at the lower price or buying the new technology ........

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, OK. Well, that sounds good. I was in one of the BB's near me on Tuesday to pick up Miller's Crossing and the 53 was still $1599. Guess I'll check on Saturday. If they still have the deal and the $79 DVD thing, I may have to do it even though I'm moving on 5/31. Plus I have a 10% coupon for the holiday weekend, double bonus. Anybody ever had any trouble with BB holding merchandise for delivery for a couple weeks? ;)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Did you get the holiday coupon in the mail. I usually get preferred customer coupons but didn't this time of course, when I'd like one.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I did get them in the mail. A couple that are good just for the long weekend, I didn't even take a good look at them. I know one was 10% off any TV $299 and up. If not this weekend, then the weekend of the 6/7 is the valid date for the TV coupon that came with the brochure that was sent out to a lot of people about a month ago.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Decisions, decisions, take this deal, which I suspect is the best it's going to get for this model or wait for the X52 with new chassis, new tubes and DVI for what I'm guessing is going to be another 300.
Bob, don't you mean the X53? The X52 is a 2002 model which adds the protective screen and better audio. The X53 will have DVI.

Not sure if you'd want to purchase this TV online, but OneCall's got the PT53WX53 for $1799 including shipping. Furthermore, for a limited time, they're offering a $100 mail-in rebate. In addition, depending on where you live, you wouldn't have to pay the tax.

Good luck

-diVe-

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
You're right Justin, I did mean the X53. At this point I'm leaning towards waiting for the new models.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just picked up a 53WX42 at BB for $1,260 (10% off $1399 with the Mem. Day coupon), plus $79 towards a new prog. scan player to go with it. One of the last three they had in stock in my area. Being delivered to my new place the day I move in :D .

That price can't be beat for this set. I was going to wait for the newer ones to come out, but DVI just isn't that important to me right now. I had also read a post (maybe on HTF but I can't find it right now) from an ISF guy saying that the new models have unfinished cabinet interiors. Apparently the current ones are stained or painted but the new ones won't be. Anyone confirm this?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, the current models are not well finished inside. Some parts are not painted black as they should be, eg. the board that sits adjacent the CRT guns at lens level. This causes extra light reflection inside that degrades the PQ somewhat. I've been meaning to reopen my own 53" to paint everything a dull black wherever needed (and easily accessible), but just haven't gotten around to it.

Of course, I suspect that the new, upcoming models will have the same kinds of issues since they do have to cut corners somewhere. :D But this kind of thing is easily fixable, so not a big deal for people who care to tweak their TVs for best performance.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.